Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

FINALLY, a decent pr. of wide boots (I hope)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

FINALLY, a decent pr. of wide boots (I hope)

Postby Mike Bolin » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have my first elk hunt planned for this fall. Had others planned in the past and was constantly searching for a decent light weight hiking boot that will fit my 11.5 4E feet. To be honest, not being able to find a boot that fit properly kept me from committing to a hunt before. I've been a pipefitter for 36 yrs and spend many long hours on my feet. I have had two major foot surgeries and have a horrible time finding work boots that fit and when I do, I usually buy 2-3 pr. I've ordered and returned so many pr. of "wide" boots that the UPS guy started calling me Imelda!! LOL!
I read several reviews on the Merrell MOAB hikers and the only negative comments were that they tended to run too wide. I had neverhad any luck with the fit of the Merrell line before and they only list a W (wide) which usually translates to a 2E width. I went ahead and ordered a pair in 11.5W and they are the best fitting boots I have ever had on my feet.
The area I am hunting is, according to my contact there, not too bad and "a good place for an old flatlander" to chase some elk. Time will tell! I hope these boots work out well for me. I am hiking locally wearing them and hitting the 3D shoots and so far so good. Hiking with the weighted pack starts this week.........
Mike
Mike Bolin

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bolin

Re: FINALLY, a decent pr. of wide boots (I hope)

Postby mtnmutt » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Suggest wearing sock liners and learning to tie the heel lock lacing. Going downhill can be brutal on you feet. Remember the moleskin. The ones sold with donut hole cutout are the most convenient.

Good luck!
mtnmutt

Postby eriks. » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My Merrell's are some of the most comfortable boots ever! Don't expect them to be waterproof though. Maybe right at first but it won't be long and wet feet are the norm. That's the only thing bad I can say about them. Good boot for the money and you can wear them everyday after season ends. Can't beat that!
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby ST52V » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

My good buddy from high school just asked me if I knew of any boots that would work for his 13-14 4e feet. He works for PA dot and destroys boots and shoes. Even though he is 6'2" 375 lbs he is always on the move and wears them 12-14 hrs a day. I told him to call zapos and order a pair of keen Milwaukee in the soft toe. He didn't need steel toes. He got them last week and loves them. The fit is great, comfortable, and made very well. He also agreed with me that they are stiff and offer lots of support like a good mt.boot. They only come in a wide but due to the large toe box they fit him fine.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise