Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Got my skyscape trekker today!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Got my skyscape trekker today!

Postby mandrroofing » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This thing is sweet!iknow its just tent but I believe I picked a good one.very roomy and lite!this will be my 2nd elk season and my first backcountry hunt with a spike camp.I'm pumped and caint wait

http://s831.photobucket.com/user/mandrr ... 8111119842

mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Got my skyscape trekker today!

Postby Migolito » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have that tent. IMO this is the best lite weight solo tent out there. I've had it in some pretty knarly stuff and it has never let me down. You'll love the twin vestibules.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Matt, is there a floor in it, it was hard to tell? In one photo it looks like there is but I wasn't sure? Thanks

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mandrroofing » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Paul, there is a floor in it and it seems to be wide enough to keep your pack inside although there are two vestibules also
mandrroofing

Postby mandrroofing » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Migolito wrote:I have that tent. IMO this is the best lite weight solo tent out there. I've had it in some pretty knarly stuff and it has never let me down. You'll love the twin vestibules.

You actually are the one that suggested this tent, I liked what I saw and bought it and I really like it so thanks!
mandrroofing

Postby Migolito » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Cool!

I went through a 'few' tents($$$) when I was shopping for a tent that could do long range backpacking and double as my bivy hunting tent. The various single walls were nice-they had a lot of room inside, easy to set up, strong in weather and relatively lite weight. I actually made my own Tipi with Silnylon. However, the real pita with all single walls is condensation. It's physics! So, what the single walls do is leave out the floor-that way the condensation runs down the inside wall and onto the ground. Also, if there's bugs out, the bugs can access you no problem. Therefore, most single walls need a 'nest' (netting) that needs to be added. The extra weight, complexity, etc, for a solo tent was way too much for me. The Trekker is a hybrid. It has a solid bathtub type floor which the netting is attached. The top of the netting is attached to the tent. Theres only 5 stakes and 2 pole needed (and those 2 poles can be your walking poles. On each side of the tent (outside the net, but, within the tent canopy) are 2 vestibules. I usually cook in one(when the weather is snotty) and store my gear in the other. The bottom of the tent is fully adjustable to lift up for ventilation. Also, the sides tie up for complete ventilation. I've never had condensation problems.

I've only found (so far) 1 negative. Its not that big of a deal, but, I'm a picky SOG. The offside vestibule only has a single zipper so access from the inside is limited to your arms. I made a suggestion to 6 moons to add an L zip, basically making it a double entry...Did they modify yours? I'll try yo post up a video, but, there are some decent ones on youtube.
Migolito

First Name: Mike