Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

trad bow arrow flight

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

trad bow arrow flight

Postby wawhitey » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

so just picked up my first set of hunting arrows, have 125 gr broad heads on them, bringing weight to 528 grain (bow is 53# @29). the field point arrows ive been practicing with were 512 grains. doesnt seem like much of a difference in weight, but now using these broadheads suddenly im shooting drastically better than i was shooting my field point arrows. can 16 grains really make a difference like that or is it more likely because the balance of the arrow has changed? dont know my asshole from my elbows right now, this will be my first year going archery. curious if any other trad bow shooters notice that a slight change like that can make a large difference
wawhitey

Re: trad bow arrow flight

Postby Broken arrow » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Most chances are that the 16 grains and the dynamics of the BH changed the arrow spine and you could have been experiencing anything from shelf contact to the arrow recovering to slowly for great (note I said great. Before you might have had good arrow flight) You were probably a little stiff before and now are tuned more perfectly than before. Could also be that just having that beautiful broadhead up front changed the mind and your concentration got better. Either way better with a BH than field points that's a good thing! Welcome to the addiction of traditional.
Broken arrow

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Wt of arrow has little to do with accuracy, it's about the spine! 16grns in reality would do very little to your spine, actually unnoticeable. 3 feathers are about 16grns, imagine how little wt that really is. I'd say like the poster above that you were more focused with broadheads being used. Keep practicing!

What is your arrow of use, length & spine?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby wawhitey » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

ElkNut1 wrote:Wt of arrow has little to do with accuracy, it's about the spine! 16grns in reality would do very little to your spine, actually unnoticeable. 3 feathers are about 16grns, imagine how little wt that really is. I'd say like the poster above that you were more focused with broadheads being used. Keep practicing!

What is your arrow of use, length & spine?

ElkNut1

as far as arrow of use, i dont know, theyre treated wooden arrows, and "full length" whatever length that is i dont know, all i know is that due to my height thats what im using. the spine of the arrow is something im unfamiliar with. what i do know is im using 125 grain zwickey broadheads, and i could drive a nail with them. they guys at my local archery shop arent very helpful when you want to ask questions. i told them im brand new to this and just seem to get kind of an impatient attitude from them, where they wont explain anything to me and try to make me feel like im an inconvenience not worth their time. oh well f it, when i get back from alaska im moving to colville area and will be looking for a new pro shop anyway. at least for now i have arrows that go where i want them to. if an elk bear or whatever gets within my range this year its in trouble. but if anybody can recommend a pro shop in stevens county area that is actually helpful and will answer questions that would be great
wawhitey

Postby ferris bugler » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Are you shooting right handed? When you shoot the field point does the tail of the arrow kick right or left? I would be willing to guess that like stated above you are more focused when you are shooting the broadhead. With that you may be drawing your string farther and along with the extra weight of the broadhead you are reaching the correct spine. Just a thought, but it will take a lot more info to really answer your question.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby JoeH2o » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Most chances are that the 16 grains and the dynamics of the BH changed the arrow spine and you could have been experiencing anything from shelf contact to the arrow recovering to slowly for great (note I said great. Before you might have had good arrow flight) You were probably a little stiff before and now are tuned more perfectly than before. Could also be that just having that beautiful broadhead up front changed the mind and your concentration got better. Either way better with a BH than field points that's a good thing! Welcome to the addiction of traditional.
Broken arrow

Id say Broken arrow nailed it
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby buglmin » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

16 grains wouldnt of changed the spine of the shaft, especially on a wood arrow. And as far as the dymanic spine, the broadhead wouldnt of changed that that much at all. The only thing that could change is the FOC, but no more then 2%, if that much.
Was the arrows flying bad to start before you installed broadheads? You didnt say you were getting a bad arrow flight, just that youre shooting better...its a mental thing is all. Lots of people shoot better with broadheads cause the focus more, focus better cause they want the arrow to hit where they are looking. It takes a lot to change spine on a wooden shaft, and for that matter, on a carbon shaft as well. Just be happy with the arrow flight, and enjoy yourself...
buglmin