Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

3 pin slider revelation

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

3 pin slider revelation

Postby Freebird134 » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I had been shooting a 3 pin slider for a couple years, with the bottom pin as the floater. I switched this year to a 3 pin tommy hogg, but have been shooting it as a 1 pin, with my "middle" pin dead center and the top and bottoms removed. Tonight I tried something different: I put my middle pin on the 40 yard mark, then sighted the top for 30 and the bottom for 50, making my middle pin the floater. here's where it got interesting....

...I was curious what would happen if I dialed my middle pin to 30...or 20....or 40, 50, 60, or 70....and treated the top pin as -10 yards and the bottom as +10 yards.

I was surprised. It works like a charm. I stepped out to 60 yards, put my "floating" middle on the 50 yard mark and used the bottom pin...bulls eye. Same result with every combination I tried from 20 to 70 yards. I don't understand the geometry of it, but it works. No matter what range I dialed the middle pin at, the top and bottom were plus or minus 10 yards.

I'm not convinced I'll hunt this way, as my eyes sometimes can't handle all those glowing green dots. But, this seems like a great set up for anyone worried about using a slider because an animal might walk closer or further away. I just assumed that it wouldn't work because pin gaps increased with distance....but it worked flawlessly. Has anyone else tried this?
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (98.23 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: 3 pin slider revelation

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I just ordered the Tommy Hogg myself, I have been using the TrophyTaker Heartbreaker slider. Good information you submitted. Do you normally use the bottom pin as the floater as that is what I have done in the past?
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

3 pin slider revelation

Postby Freebird134 » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yes, I've usually used the bottom as a slider. But the middle seems to be working great
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon