Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

my hunting buddy's bow blew up yesterday.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

during paper tuning session. he bought a bowtech destroyer 340(?, i cant keep up with all the models) last year. never shot it. this year, he commited to it. bought new arrows, and went to tune it at the shop. he said they got a neat tidy paper hole, and decided.."just one more shot".

WHAM! it came apart! he has a string shaped welt on his arm. you can see the cable loop in the impression on his arm. dang, just a few weeks from his deer opener. california A-zone. (too hot for me. meat spoils to fast..i sit it out.)

i've never had a bow come apart on me. i wouldnt be accurate EVER again. i would wince in anticipation i think. anyone?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: my hunting buddy's bow blew up yesterday.

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Yeah, that would be scary. It makes me wince just thinking about it.

I had a buddy in high school that shot a carbon arrow that must've been cracked. It splintered at the shot and went completely through his forearm.

He will win nearly every scar comparison contest ever, for the rest of his life. The only thing that would trump that would be a mauling by a bear, lion, or maybe a shark bite.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Backcountry » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Scary deal. Do you know which part of the bow blew up?
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby elkmtngear » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I would need to see a hypnotist to get past target panic!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby bnsafe » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

my bow blew up about 3/4 draw. luckily I didn't get a scratch but face hurt for awhile where something hit me. its not fun but you move on, or quit bowhunting. mind over matter.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby LckyTylr » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

My old PSE blew up on me several years ago. It was when string loops were first becoming popular. I got sick of re-serving my string, so I took my bow into the local shop and had them install one. I was late for something or other so I didn't test it out at the bow shop. I tried it out at home that night and it was after dark, so I did it inside. I got back to almost full draw and it gave way. My thumb knuckle gave me in a bloody nose. The peep shot out of the string, flew across the room, hit the fridge and split into a few pieces, one of which came back and hit me in the ear (left a welt). The string hit my forearm and immediately filled up with a 10" long 1/2" thick blood pocket that had to be drained. My bow limbs separated from the riser and I was left with a rats nest in my left hand. It sounded like a .38 going off inside the living room. If that peep had been a few inches to the right, I'd have lost my left eye.

The owner of the bow shop bought me two new limbs and a new sight. Scared the living hell out of me.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Came off the mountain in a snowstorm in MT, late September nineteen eighty something. Hunted all day in almost white out conditions. Got into a few singers but no shots. Got back to my 77 Chev 1/2 ton, put the bow on the passenger side of the bench seat with one of the limbs on the floor. Headed down the mountain with the heater cranked.. Sounded like a rifle shot when the Jenning (laminated limbs) Shooting Star blew apart in my truck. Lesson learned, never put a really cold laminated limb bow into immediate, high temperature heat :( Glad your buddy is OK. Could have been worse for sure.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Slim jim » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I sometimes freak myself out when thinking about it at full draw. I worry about losing an eye. I tried wearing clear safety glasses once but that didn't last long. Just have to not think about it and always check your bow before shooting
Slim jim

First Name: Jimmy
Last Name: Tippetts