Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Water Purification Methods

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I need to make a decision on what type of water purification method I should use in the back country. Right now I am leaning towards the sawyer squeeze. I really like this because you can essential eliminate a bladder for long hikes away from spike camp by simply having 3 different sizes of bags even allowing me to have some in reserve at camp. Platypus water bladder system also has some good reviews some bad just like all the others. I am wondering if anyone here can give me some insight on these two types. Right now our group uses a pump. But there will be 4 of us this year and I will be splitting up from the others. So another one is needed.

What are some of your methods you like to use? Products?

These will be used for longer duration away from the vehicle.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Re: Water Purification Methods

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

i have a steripen. love it. quick and easy. just bring extra batteries for longer trips. slept with mine at night to keep batteries longer. got about 5 days on one set of batteries, and i drink at least 6l of water a day. use a nalgene or empty gatorade bottle to hold water to purify, then pour into my camelback. if floaties in your water bug you, you might want a screen of some sort to pour treated water through--i like the extra protein :lol: i also have a msr hyperflow that will fill my 10l drom bag in spike camp in minutes. one bad little pump filter!
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Postby pointysticks » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

i like the steripen as well..but i disagree. the 90 seconds required to do a nalgene bottle is the longest 90 seconds of your life.

i like how it is easy and if you have clean running water it is a great option. i will get one of my own. i imagine it would be cool to dip into a tall glass of mexican drinking water that they set in front of you at a restaurant. haha.

if i had to choose ONE. i would go with a pump. one stop we had for water in the sierras was essentially a wet spot in the ground. we had to dig a depression and let it run a tad to clear up so we could pump from it. if you were "scooping" water into a sawyer, it would have been terrible. the second choice for water was to dip the intake hose into a crack to pump water.

the sawyer is super light. light enough to carry as a backup for me for sure.

this year, i am doing those two part drops for a backup to my pump.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby aron » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Hey Brent I plan to use a Sawyer Squeeze filter inline with a Source 3L hydration bladder. The bladder has quick disconnects to remove from the pack, fill up and go. No need to wait for it to filter or pump. This can also be used in a gravity feed system back at camp. My reasoning for the inline was to not need to carry a dirty and clean bladder. If you go with the Sawyer bags, watch out as theres been complaints of them not being able to hold up well (think that has been fixed recently though). Also, a couple water purification tabs for backup in the first aid kit.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby Huntography » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Geigerrig with inline filter and 3l bladder.

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

pointysticks wrote:i like the steripen as well..but i disagree. the 90 seconds required to do a nalgene bottle is the longest 90 seconds of your life.

i like how it is easy and if you have clean running water it is a great option. i will get one of my own. i imagine it would be cool to dip into a tall glass of mexican drinking water that they set in front of you at a restaurant. haha.

if i had to choose ONE. i would go with a pump. one stop we had for water in the sierras was essentially a wet spot in the ground. we had to dig a depression and let it run a tad to clear up so we could pump from it. if you were "scooping" water into a sawyer, it would have been terrible. the second choice for water was to dip the intake hose into a crack to pump water.

the sawyer is super light. light enough to carry as a backup for me for sure.

this year, i am doing those two part drops for a backup to my pump.

LOL-- i go to cozumel quite a bit diving and i actually was thinking the same thing! :lol: but you hit the nail on the head---i guess its just convenience and size as opposed to efficiency--but it does make a fancy little light show and i can get easily entertained after a week in the backcountry solo 8-) . i really like it in my daypack/overnight pack--but typically use the hyperflow in spike camp to fill the big 10L camp drom...
ChukarNUT

Postby mtnmutt » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Ditto on steripen what pointysticks said. After 1.5 seasons, my patience ended for steripen and I switched to purification tablets. I even used them for one backpacking weekend where I only had standing water as an option.

I have considered the 2 parts drops, but worry about it freezing.

I never use a pump. I avoid items with moving parts that can fail.

Platypus love them, but had the big zip leak on me so I stay with the screw cap model. I also carry the 6L dromlite since the tablets need an opaque container.
mtnmutt

Re:

Postby pointysticks » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 8]

mtnmutt wrote:I have considered the 2 parts drops, but worry about it freezing.

never thought about this^^..mmm.

if the drops are frozen, them perhaps my water is as well? i have tablets in all my packs. if my memory is correct, my tabs require 4 hours and darkness to be effective. i usually do a bunch of water when i go to bed,...any better tab options out there? cant remember the name of mine,,got them at REI.
pointysticks

Postby mtnmutt » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Pointysticks, the guy who hiked all around Alaska used the drops and they never froze, but I believe he wrapped the bottles in insulated stuff like socks.

Rei and everyone no longer sell the katadyn micropur tablets. I think they got bought by someone. MSR now sells them. I do the same as you and fill up in the evening before bed. If I am out of water when I fill up, I wait only 30 minutes to use it. The 4 hrs wait is for cryptosporidium. Every US water supply has this. It is prevalent in CO front range reservoir. You are already exposed to it at some level already.

Lots of pump water filters do not remove cryptosporidium. Some may, but read up on your pump to find out.

It helps to be acclimated to the local water. I have trouble with some water in other countries, but never get truly sick.
mtnmutt

Re:

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 10]

mtnmutt wrote:Pointysticks, the guy who hiked all around Alaska used the drops and they never froze, but I believe he wrapped the bottles in insulated stuff like socks.

Rei and everyone no longer sell the katadyn micropur tablets. I think they got bought by someone. MSR now sells them. I do the same as you and fill up in the evening before bed. If I am out of water when I fill up, I wait only 30 minutes to use it. The 4 hrs wait is for cryptosporidium. Every US water supply has this. It is prevalent in CO front range reservoir. You are already exposed to it at some level already.

Lots of pump water filters do not remove cryptosporidium. Some may, but read up on your pump to find out.

It helps to be acclimated to the local water. I have trouble with some water in other countries, but never get truly sick.

do these tabs or drops have any aftertaste like iodine?? seems like this would be the lightest, most failsafe method. what do you do if you run out of water midday (needing 4 hours of darkness??)
ChukarNUT

Postby mtnmutt » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I have never noticed any odd taste from the tablets. You are not suppose to touch the tablets because they may cause a reaction on your skin. I have sensitive skin and have not had a problem with minor contact with them. I use the micro scissors on my ultra small swiss army knife to cut open the individual tablet wrapper. They are difficult to open without scissors.

I used iodine once and will never use it again. Iodine is less effective than the tablets, but iodine is cheaper. The 2 part drops may be cheaper than both. I may try the drops this year.
mtnmutt

Postby pointysticks » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I have to mail order the drops. Which is a pain.

The tabs are tasteless to me.

Dunno. My first need pump filter looks great on paper. I need to put it on a scale. Up till now. I have only used it while traveling.
pointysticks

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 13]

just ordered the msr aquatabs. excited to try them this season. cant beat the weight and easy as it gets! thanks for the tips guys!
ChukarNUT

Postby mtnmutt » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 14]

2 weeks ago, I was in rei and they had the 2 part drops for the first time. I will check again.

The backpacking talk I attended last year said the 2 part drops were not yet approved by the Feds. Maybe they are now approved.
mtnmutt