Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

new limbs in, i have to switch the cams... advice?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

new limbs in, i have to switch the cams... advice?

Postby quarbles » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

just as the title states, i just got my new limbs for my 2010 gt500, i have to switch out the limbs myself and in doing so of course need to switch the cams. any tips or sage words of advice? i don't have the option of an archery shop and so am doing it on my own, even though i'm slightly intimidated...
do i need any special tool in doing this? will a flat head be adequate for removing/ returning the e clamp?
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Re: new limbs in, i have to switch the cams... advice?

Postby buglmin » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Take pictures of the cams, so you can see how the the strings and cables go. A screw driver will work, just dont let one pop off and loose it, and you'll need a bow press. It'll take you a while, just go slow, and be careful..change cam and strings out all the time for friends. You'll be fine
buglmin

Postby Miller1 » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Leave the string and cable on the cams when you remove them, take the axle out of the limb but let it lay there while you take the other axle out, then pick it up together and hang it like that and you dont have to remember how it goes back together.
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby stickflngr » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Miller1 wrote:Leave the string and cable on the cams when you remove them, take the axle out of the limb but let it lay there while you take the other axle out, then pick it up together and hang it like that and you dont have to remember how it goes back together.

This is the way I do it but the first thing you want to do is TAPE YOUR DRAW STOPS TO YOUR HANDLE...... I have a GT500 and the first time I worked on it I fogot them on the bench and Im here to tell ya its a spooky feeling when you draw your bow back, the cams over rotate and LOCK UP... now you have an arrow at your feet, a limp string and all you can think is "OH NO" :shock: Well thats the g version of what I thought...

If there taped to your handle youll realize what you forgot before you try to draw it. Other than that its a pretty simple procedure and doing it the way Miller1 suggested your bow should stay tuned. :D
stickflngr