Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Custom Truck Rack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Custom Truck Rack

Postby LckyTylr » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Finally finished my Overhead Cargo Rack, just in time for the season. The reason I made this is because when I take the family camping, between my Wife & I, our 18 month Son, two dogs, dirt bike & 4-wheeler . . . there is NO place to put camping gear. I could have just bought a trailer, but I don't have the space to store one and they are a pain in the but. This used to be a contractor's ladder rack that my father in law and one of his friends helped me modify to suit my needs. I could have just bought a Yakima or Thule, but those seam cheap to me. This thing is strong enough to double as an external roll cage. The ladder rack was given to me by my boss, I spent about $160 in fuel costs running around to the shop where we fabbed it and where I eventually got it powder coated, plus $65 for powder coat and another $30 in paint (Orange and Black top). So, for $255 and a lot of sweating and swearing, this is what we ended up with. I'm very happy with it and it holds cargo really well. We welded on a bunch of D-rings along the tubes on top for tie points.

LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson