Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

bino harness

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

bino harness

Postby bowpackerrob » 01 30, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Just curious what everybody is using for a bino harness if u use one?
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Re: bino harness

Postby Ridge Ghost » 01 30, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I'm currently using the KUIU harness and really like it. FHF makes another really good one. I have also used the Sitka and it's decent, but not as nice as the other two I mentioned.
Ridge Ghost

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Revis

Postby jmez » 01 30, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I just got a Kuiu Harness. I'm replacing an FHF which replaced an S4.

Didn't like the S4, it rides up and eventually pulls on your neck. The FHF is loud, especially in a tree stand on a cold day. Also don't like the lid/clousure on the FHF. Doesn't work one handed and if wearing gloves you have to take on off to get it hooked.

Haven't used the Kuiu yet but not sure I'll like it either. Only the bottom strap connects to the harness. The top strap connects directly to the binos. I put it on and got if adjusted the pouch wants to ride up because there is noting securing it when the binos are out. I'll have to get it out and use it to see if this becomes an issue.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Indian Summer » 01 31, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Alaska Guide Creations Bino Pouch. (sponsor here) for the last 12 years. Way more than just a bino harness. Some feel it is a bit bulky. But they just made a new compact version with no front pocket so it's slimmed down. I like the harness that stays put instead of rolling around to the front from the weight of the binos. But the new harness is really nice. My buddy had one last season and I was jealous.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pointysticks » 01 31, 2015 •  [Post 5]

i have an FHF, and i am kinda over it.

the above notes in the review are spot on. it is kinda loud. just the binos sliding in and out makes a decent scratchy sound. i got busted by a mulie last year at 70 yards.

and putting the binos back in one handed is damn frustrating. sometimes the lid folds in on itself and goes into the pouch with the binos..sometimes it just plain gets in the way. it is crazy how often my wrist release hangs up on the stretchy cord of the lid lock..(this might be all my fault)

i think i am going to go back to running my binos naked. i'll just have to maintain my due diligence in lens care. i had the Alaska guide creation..and early version. it rode into the back of my neck on hot hunts were i was wearing little clothing. with a jacket during colder weather it was not a problem. i think he fixed everything. that was a nice pouch..you could reload the binos without looking. the lid was cupped and firm.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 01 31, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I asked the same question last summer and was planning on something new
I ended up adjusting the elastic and am satisfied with my Kings bino harness. I tried adding covers. I am always picking up my binos and glassing. Covers were just a bit too much of a neusence
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bowpackerrob » 01 31, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for input guys. Really leaning toward the Alaskan Guide, called Jaret today n fact. Any body had any experience with Swarovski 10 x 32 el, found a very good deal.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby TheBuzz » 02 04, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Looking also, but was wondering about being able to shoot my Bow without interference?
"...if Life's a race to the finish line, just soon be last..."
TheBuzz

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Hovorka

Postby TheBuzz » 02 04, 2015 •  [Post 9]

TheBuzz wrote:Looking also, but was wondering about being able to shoot my Bow without interference?

After looking at some pic's of pouch's and a guy at full draw, I guess I answered my own question. Looks like any string interference, not much of a worry. :)
TheBuzz

Postby Mav » 02 06, 2015 •  [Post 10]

There isn't much of a worry with most harnesses. I still run my s4, which was my first harness. It has been a great piece if equipment. Although the cons mentioned about the s4 earlier are all valid. They just aren't huge enough of issues to me.
Mav

First Name: Chase
Last Name: Duncan

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 06, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Most of us use the S4 here in the ElkNut Crew, I love mine, no issues at all with it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby TheBuzz » 02 07, 2015 •  [Post 12]

Well, I ordered a S4, I'll give it a go.... :)
TheBuzz

bino harness

Postby Elkoholic87 » 02 16, 2015 •  [Post 13]

I bought the new design from Alaska Guide Creations for my archery elk hunt last year. This harness is the more compact design and is very light and durable. I like the features and it has become one of my favorite pieces of gear.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424110177.963386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424110177.963386.jpg (364.77 KiB) Viewed 10994 times
Elkoholic87

Postby bowhunter04 » 02 16, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Would the Alaska guide Creations bino pouch suspend from a pack's shoulder harness or do you need separate straps under your pack?
bowhunter04

First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Fischer

Postby Indian Summer » 02 16, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Separate straps. It has it's own shoulder straps. But my partners & I all wear them with packs on with no problems.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkoholic87 » 02 16, 2015 •  [Post 16]

The system is extremely comfortable and I hardly noticed I had it on me. I really like how I can get to my binoculars with one hand. This system is very convenient and I highly recommend it.
Elkoholic87

Postby wewarev » 02 16, 2015 •  [Post 17]

I just picked up a Horn Hunter Bino Hub a couple months ago and used it during deer season. Worked real well for me and was at a very good price. I'm planning on taking it with me to the Elk woods this fall.
It has a magnetic attachment for the range finder which allows you to access it easily and quietly.
wewarev

First Name: Rodney

Postby RichM » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Nothing like bring back old threads.....

I've got a question about binocular harnesses and back packs, do the backpack shoulder straps cause the bino straps to be uncomfortable?

I'm thinking of buying an Alaska Guide Cub and an EXO 3500 or 2000(torn as I really just need a day pack and meat hauler, that's another thread) soon. I also front carry my rifle when on a rifle hunt with a two point sling, I'm wondering if that just to much "stuff". In my mind order of donning would be bino harness, rifle sling then finally pack over the other straps. The last few hunts I just hung my binos off my neck, but bouncing around I've lost more than one lens cover.

what's your experience?
what's your opinion?
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Postby Lsb » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 19]

I put on my fhf bino harness then my Badlands ultra day pack. Bow in my hand rifle on a sling. Works for me. Horses for the heavy hauling.
Lsb

Postby Roosiebull » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I have never worn an AGC harness, I use the kuiu now (plan on trying the mystery ranch and outdoor vision soon) and i have not felt the straps under any of my packs including my EXO. i have never heard of it as an issue with ACG so i'm guessing you are fine.
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Im now using a soft side bino "case". I replaced the harness on the soft case with the Kings bino harness.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Brendan » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 22]

I've used an AGC Cub for 4 years. I think it's the perfect size, and full coverage for my binos, without being too big. Rangefinder fits in the front pocket on a lanyard, or you can put an additional pouch on the straps and have the front pocket for other stuff. License and tags go in the small back pocket with a tyto knife with havalon blades. Wind checker and calls underneath the Elastic / Stretch material on the top. Space for an emergency lighter, some firestarter cubes, and a small emergency headlamp in the small side pockets. Doesn't interfere with drawing my bow, shooting my rifle, or my pack and you've got a nice small emergency kit if you ever drop your pack for a stalk.

One thing I did do - cut off the buckles and installed Autolocks I ordered from Kifaru. Makes sure once you tighten it down that it will not slip.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby RichM » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Thanks guys. Ordered the CUB.
Now hopefully EXO will offer up the 3500 in a more southwestern desert friendly color before my November deer hunt, they only have Ranger and Mulitcam in stock right now.
AGC has the locking buckles available as well as Kifaru separately and not as a factory installed option. I'll feel out the buckles and decide.

Rich
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M