Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

going nutty

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

going nutty

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 13, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Well this season has really prompted me to up my calling game. I know its too late now to do a whole lot, so once the ski season starts I am picking up elknuts videos and devoting the winter and spring time to learning elk calling a bit more. I know paul is the man when it comes to elk calling, I have used the roe hunting resources and like it, but need a bit more instruction on calling itself and how to make the sounds.
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Re: going nutty

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 28, 2015 •  [Post 2]

this is mostly for Paul, but anyone else can chime in if they have the answer needed. I am looking at the beginner kits, and am not able to decide between the XTR vs the regular chuckle combo. I am dead set on getting over my gag reflex with the calls this winter, and feel like your video on mastering the mouth reed may help with that. I am not sure if I should get the xtr, as I feel it might keep me from using the mouth reeds more often.
I am looking to get the most learning for the buck, and your combos fit the bill.. while the beginner package looks very appealing, I am curious if it might not be worth while to just get your instruction package now and maybe pick up the chuckler tube later.
What would you recommend for a new caller who has a terrible gag reflex he is trying to overcome this winter in order to become more fluent in elk and more effective in the woods.
powderhogg01

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 28, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Sam, good questions! If you can brush your teeth without gagging you can learn to use a mouth reed, it's all in the placement & practice, practice, practice! Package # 9 is your best bet bud, it has lots of instruction that should guide you into hunting & calling elk like you're considering! I would definitely go the New Chuckler route with reeds over the XTR version unless your gag reflex is really bad! Only you can answer that! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 28, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Thanks Paul, it will likely be a few weeks as I just started up my winter work and should be into some decent money soon enough.
powderhogg01

Postby Chucksteele1 » 09 29, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Powerhogg;
I'm thinking of following the same path as you are. What do you think of the Roe system? Is it worth the time and investment? Do you believe what he is saying? It makes perfect sense to me and might explain a lot of my failed attempts.

Paul;
What are your thoughts on the Roe Theory. My thought is to use your techniques to master my calling and his theory on what to say. Hoping to get better results afield. I thought I was a proficient caller, until I started researching the subject this week. Really opened my eyes. How little I actually knew about the elk language.
Chucksteele1

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 29, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I have used thwarting roe module and it makes sense.. Im looking at the most info and Paul has it. his books belong on your shelf
powderhogg01

Postby longbowelk » 04 29, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I want to bring this back up to see what Paul thinks would be the best package to chose between 10-12 for someone that wants to get a lot better with their calling and techniques.
longbowelk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 29, 2017 •  [Post 8]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VITaRJNVuyQ

Maybe this will help you out.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 29, 2017 •  [Post 9]

That's a GREAT instructional VID from R. Jacobsen. Thanks for posting it up >>>---WW---->; I actually own that DVD myself. I'll just say that either one of those packages you mentioned longbowelk are excellent as are many of the Elknut products. You can also put together your own package by browsing the Elknut store and customize what you want to receive! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 30, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Longbowelk, If you already own a bugle & reeds & are happy with them then consider Package #-12 --- If not & you are willing to learn mouth reeds or already use them then consider Package #-10 -- If not comfortable with mouth reeds but wouldn't mind to keep trying to learn them then consider Package #-11 -- That package will allow you to use the bugle as an External Reed Bugle or by simply removing the XTR mouthpiece you can now use it as a bugle with mouth reeds! All in all there's similar Instruction & tons of elk sounds along with their definition or message being sent by their specific sounds. Please feel free to contact me if you have personal questions! Thank You! -- http://stores.elknut.com/packages/

Call - 208-315-0562

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul