Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fillable Backcountry Checklist That Calculates Weight

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fillable Backcountry Checklist That Calculates Weight

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 19, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I've been using this tool for three or four years when I venture into the clouds for a handful of days. It's similar to some other checklists in content (has a pretty decent list of what you may want to consider taking on backcountry hunts), but, this one actually calculates the weight of each item and provides a total for not only your pack in, but, a total for what is only carried in day pack configuration, and, what you carry on your person (bow, rangefinder, binos, etc.). This checklist is designed for use with an all-in-one pack. Slim9300 and Dotman helped me develop this awhile back so thanks go to them.

The checklist is provided here in a JPG format (page one and two) but if you'd like a copy of the MS Excel version to play around with/populate, just send me a PM and I'll email you one.

Populate the Checklist - Decide how many days you're planning for and enter that in the upper left hand corner in red.

1. Determine what item, by brand, you feel you'll take on your trip and populate column two of the spreadsheet.
2. Enter the weight in ounces in column three of the spreadsheet. If you have one of those super cool mini scales you can use that, or, by going to the manufacturer's webpage, you can usually obtain the weight of the item.
3. Enter the quantity of the item in column four. You'll now see a total weight for the populated row item(s) in ounces in column five (78), total weight in pounds in column six (4.875), the total weight in pounds will appear in the green blocks in the very top row of spreadsheet (794.97 ounces and 49.685 pounds), and the total "day pack" configuration weight will show in the light green entry about 1/3 the way down on the second page (16.118 pounds).
4. By populating the bottom portion (On body/Carry In) portion of the checklist, you'll complete the process and have a pretty good idea of what all your gear will weigh.
5. I use the notes section on the bottom to list possible additional items that may not be carried in, and, may be used at more of a base camp setup if backcountry spot is not accessible (fires, etc.).

I've left some weights/quantities in the spreadsheet so you can see how it populates to the various totals. I hope some of you folks are able to get some use out of this. Again, let me know via PM if you want the MS Excel version for your use and I'll end via email. RJ

Fillable Backcountry Pack-Weight List 2015-page-001.jpg

Fillable Backcountry Pack-Weight List 2015-page-002.jpg
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ