Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is your day pack?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is your day pack?

Postby elkhuntfever » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

What do you use as your primary day pack/overnight pack?
elkhuntfever

Re: What is your day pack?

Postby Brendan » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Kifaru EMRII with guide lid on their hunting frame. Bag compresses down to the size of the frame, or all the way out to over 9000 ci with the lid.

I would like to pick up one of their smaller dedicated day packs on an ultralight frame, but it's nice knowing that I can pack out as much as I can carry if I get something down.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby DBLGBL » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Tenzing 1250 fanny pack

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Exo Mountain Gear 3500. Love that pack! Also have the 5500 bag for it if I'm heading in for several or more days.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby N&N Waterfowl » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Kifaru hunter frame with a reckoning bag. The independent compression straps on the reckoning allows me to really shrink down the bag and run it as a day pack, but plenty of room to handle gear for a 5 day hunt extended out.
N&N Waterfowl

Postby six » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

th[4].jpg
th[4].jpg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 9323 times

Eberlestock Blue Widow. 7 or 8 years old. I would like to upgrade it, but it does everything I ask it to do. We pack in 3 miles so I use it to carry my camp in. Once camp is set up I remove the attached fanny pack from the top, zip up the main compartment and walla its transformed into my day pack. Really nice to be able to haul meat with it and not waste a trip going to camp for a pack frame.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Backyard » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Kuiu Pro 1850, perfect size to carry all I need to for a days hunt, is capable of packing meat between the frame and pack also. I pair it with an XL dry bag (Kuiu) on the meat shelf to haul in my spike camp also. I picked up a 3200 bag for it this year that I might tryout next hunt, not sure I'll need it tho.
I'm very happy with it.
Backyard

Postby CurlyTail » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I have used the Tenzing 2200 daypack and really like it for a pure day pack. It can carry out a front quarter in a pinch but certainly not ideal since it is usually already stuffed full of my hunting gear. Plus, I never love putting a bloody game bag into the main compartment of my pack.

This year I am upgrading to the Exo Mountain 3500, and I am looking forward to having a bit more room on day hunts, and superior capibility to haul meat and bivy out. I am going to start doing 1-2 night bivys this year instead of returning to base camp every day.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Roosiebull » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 9]

kuiu ultra 1800, still not sure how much I like it after 3 years...but it has served it's purpose.
Roosiebull

Postby lamrith » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Last year (up until day 1 of Elk season) I had an Alpz Pursuit as my daypack.
http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/pa ... ks/pursuit

Day one of the season RJ shook his head and said that will not due, you will not be able to carry my bull out for me with that pack.. :twisted:
He then and handed me his backup rig, a Cabela's Alaskan frame pack. That pack was much more comfortable for sure with all the day gear and over geared crap I carried hunting. I got the riser caught a couple times on branches and being older it squeaked so I felt like a WW2 tank crashing thru brush. (hrmm part of his plan to keep me from gettign any shot opportunities?.......?)
Week two rolls along and our other partner Joe is in camp and hands me his old Dana internal frame pack to try. WOW, comfy rig, and quiet! Made me feel like a ninja compared to the external pack.

I also got to look at RJ's Exo pack and Joe's KUIU pack, and maybe a Kifaru? Some really nice packs I knew I would have to save up and get for next year...

Then Oct/Nov hits and Kuiu has a 30% sale, so I bought a Icon Pro 1850 with tall frame, clip on accys bag and a pair of belt pouches. Stumbled on a deal and picked up a 3200bag only a few weeks later from a local, so now I am set. I plan on the 1850 being my daypack, and I loaded it up with gear and could even manage a 2-3day stay with it maxed out. One thing I really like about the KUIU (think other brands can as well) is that you can split the bag form the frame and put your heavy load (Elk 1/4') between the bag and frame. You do not have to put meat inside your bag. The size/weight is only limited by the length of your straps and what your legs can carry.

I have since used the 3200 bag on the icon pro frame to travel domestic airlines and it worked great.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Heartwood » 03 16, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Exo Mountain Gear 3500. Have used it on 5 elk packouts so far as well as day hunts and multi day bivys.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby ORelksniper » 03 17, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Currently use a Horn Hunter Full Curl Combo. Can't say that I like it much. Lack of pockets is a serious issue for me. Had an Eberlestock X2 that I liked but wasn't very good for packing a heavy load. I would be a pack junky if I was willing to sell a kidney. I'm not so I make due with what I have.
ORelksniper

Postby pointysticks » 03 17, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Mystery Ranch DragonSlayer.

the Longbow or (new) Pintler is a better alternative..since i think it would carry meat easier. but my DragonSlayer is damn comfy and it is the only bag that wont affect my bowshots at all.

it is beyond tough. i've sat on it for two hours spotting a mulie for a friend..i would relay hand signals to direct him in on the buck.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 21, 2017 •  [Post 14]

After quite a few years of researching a glorified day pack, and not being able to sell my current pack, I bought a Kifaru Spike Camp in the Rhino Den. I also added two medium side pockets and two small belt pouches on it and a grabit. I can fit everything for a 4 to 5 day hunt in that thing, if im wearing my bino harness. Ive carried 50 lbs in it(more if really needed), not the greatest but it can certainly get the job done on a full deer. Easily fit neck, loins and rib meat out on the first pack if an elk is down. Im pretty excited about using it this year. Ill be using my wilderness outdoors specialties frame along with it. Ether leaving that at the truck for day hunts, or strapping the spike camp on the frame and leaving it at the tent for backpacking hunts.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby jmez » 03 22, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Stone Glacer Sky 5100 in bivy mode.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby TimeOnTarget » 03 22, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I use a EXO 5500 for everything. It compresses down so nice that it works great as a day pack as well as a 7-9 day pack. I'm contemplating if a the new K2 frame would be a wise upgrade right now....
TimeOnTarget

Postby Lefty » 03 26, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Crooked Horn Outfitters day pack.
Older a bit heavy, tough as nails, heavy waist and shoulder straps and packs weight very well!!!
Biggest drawback; it can be tough to get off once Im all "strapped in"
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby husky390 » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Stone Glacier Sky 7400 or Kifaru EMR II. Mainly the Kifaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby Wahpeton » 04 09, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Camelbak Tri-zip. Partnership of Camelbak and Mystery Ranch.

It can handle pretty good payload.

It scrunches down pretty good, but expands enough to carry way more than you should.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby Tigger » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 20]

I have a Camelback and an Eberlestock from the RMEF banquet. Like them both. The Eberlestock is bigger but both are comfy.
Tigger

Postby Deafirishman » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Badlands 2200. Has plenty of room to use it as a bivy pack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby NorthIDTLH » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 22]

Just got my new Eberlestock X2!
NorthIDTLH

Postby Elkduds » 04 27, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Deafirishman wrote:Badlands 2200. Has plenty of room to use it as a bivy pack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Me too. Nice pack, feels comfortable w 20-25# load. Mine is so old it does not have the orange meat hauler sheet, and no reservoir system. Had it in for warranty repair once, top stay pocket came loose. Good customer service on that lifetime warranty.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott