Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Book Review: Tree Stand unting Rocky Mountain Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Book Review: Tree Stand unting Rocky Mountain Elk

Postby Rangerz » 04 10, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I was the proud winner of a copy of Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk by our very own "Swede".

I felt it only right to give my impressions.

The size is nice (the same as the Playbook).

I thought the book was well written and laid out in an easy to understand fashion.

A lot of nice tips for anyone new to tree stand hunting or those who have done it before ( I have done some tree stand hunting for deer in VA ).

John includes some nice hunting stories as well.

Overall well done and should be beneficial to anyone thinking about adding this to their arsenal.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Re: Book Review: Tree Stand unting Rocky Mountain Elk

Postby CurlyTail » 04 11, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I enjoyed the book as well. Still waiting for the right place and time to use the information. Maybe I will do one of those early season Spike hunts in August. Tree stand over a water hole would be a good tactic.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 11, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Yes sir, by far the best written word I've came across on the topic.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys for the good review of the book. Chris is right. The book is easy to understand. I don't know anything all that complicated. Tree stand hunting is not rocket science or anything really difficult. Some of it is common sense, but it took me some experience to see it. I made some major mistakes before I got to a point where I was comfortable that I understood what a good tree stand set-up is for an area. The book is a fairly complete and organized text on the subject.
I think a person can find almost everything contained in the book somewhere on this forum.
I like being around skilled hunters. Skilled hunters, even though they kill most of the game, are never the nuisance the unskilled hunters are. Too many are inspired to go chasing elk after watching some Primos video, reading some article, or listening to a story teller. I have nothing but respect for Will Primos or any of the other successful names in hunting, but often they make elk hunting sound too easy. Elk hunting is rarely easy, and success is usually the culmination of a lot of preparation and hard work. Amen?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Wahpeton » 04 13, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Swede,

Book arrived yesterday noon with the mail. Really good read. Thanks for putting your experience and thoughts out there for the rest of us to absorb!

I really didn't set it down, I just mowed through it!

thanks Again.

Art
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton