Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sights and arrow rests.....need to buy!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sights and arrow rests.....need to buy!

Postby Tigger » 04 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So as some of you know, I recently won a Mathews Halon bow. However, I need to put an arrow rest and sights on it. Currently I have a 4 pin sight and a drop away rest on my old bow( a Mathews Z7 Extreme). They seem to be fine. Does anybody have any opinions on what to get? I use it mostly for elk, but some for whitetail via tree stands. Or maybe better yet, what not to get.
Tigger

Re: Sights and arrow rests.....need to buy!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Ooh, pick me. MBG 5 pin sight and a Trophy Taker rest!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I like the Mathews drop away rest or the QAD equivalent, and a solid 5 pin sight that has 029 inch diameter, long fiber optics. I believe the benefits of the brighter large diameter, long strand pins out weigh their lack of precision. I went with Spot Hogg Grinder with just red and green pins. I did not get a micro adjustment as there is no real benefit. What ever you choose be sure it is durable.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby DBLGBL » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I like my QAD rest although I have been waiting on their new micro tune rest for 6 months. My sight is a Spot Hogg 7 pin hunter. It has 3rd axis adjustment which all sights don't. I like .019 pins.

2Gbl
DBLGBL

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 5]

If what works on your Z7 is good enough for you, I'd put something as close to the same as possible on the Halon. I like to keep my main bow and my backup as close to identical as possible.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Backyard » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:If what works on your Z7 is good enough for you, I'd put something as close to the same as possible on the Halon. I like to keep my main bow and my backup as close to identical as possible.

^^^^
I totally agree. It keeps things consistent for tuning also.
Backyard

Postby Roosiebull » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 7]

>>>---WW----> wrote:If what works on your Z7 is good enough for you, I'd put something as close to the same as possible on the Halon. I like to keep my main bow and my backup as close to identical as possible.

very good advice!

I bought a chillr last year, it has good accessories on it, but they aren't what i'm used to...so the good deal isn't quite as good. it came with a montana black gold, 5 pin ascent with a 6" dovetail...nice sight, but I don't need an adjustable 5 pin...just put a spot hogg 5 pin real deal on it...love it.

the bow also has a QAD hdx drop away, which I am switching to a whisker biscuit, because I like them...

....so if you're shopping for an ascent 5 pin, and a QAD hdx, let me know, I will make you a good deal :mrgreen:
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Tigger: Mathews center shot is 13/16 inch from the riser. I use a double jaw Scott release and set the riser at 13/16 inch and it is good.
Swede

Postby Wahpeton » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Spothogg sight is tough to beat. I've tried to skimp in the past and when I purchased my first Spothogg sight I saw what I had been missing.

I don't have a strong opinion on arrow rest. I used a whisker biskit for years and four years ago went to a QAD drop away. Both work.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby Cbb » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I have a Spot Hogg Hogg It and a QAD HDX on my Halon 32, they were also on my Carbon Matrix G3. Before that I was running a HHA single pin slider. Didn't want to mess with that while elk hunting so went back to fixed pins.

I really like how the Spot Hogg sights are built and how easy they dial in.
Cbb

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I appreciate everyone's opinion, and assume there is a reason for it, but I disagree with the posts that say you should stick with what you are currently using. I have never had any trouble with good sights or rests. I change bows, arrows and broadheads on occasion too, all with no problem. #1 I practice with whatever I get until I am comfortable with it. #2 I am never in the kind of rush that I can't think through what I am going to do at the time a critter needs shooting.
In fact I can still remember every move I made when I killed my first bull with a bow. I had to be extremely careful with every move until the arrow was in and doing its awful job. And yes I have a backup bow I am comfortable with too. The draw cycle is very different and holding is a little different. Practice, practice, practice.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:I appreciate everyone's opinion, and assume there is a reason for it, but I disagree with the posts that say you should stick with what you are currently using. I have never had any trouble with good sights or rests. I change bows, arrows and broadheads on occasion too, all with no problem. #1 I practice with whatever I get until I am comfortable with it. #2 I am never in the kind of rush that I can't think through what I am going to do at the time a critter needs shooting.
In fact I can still remember every move I made when I killed my first bull with a bow. I had to be extremely careful with every move until the arrow was in and doing its awful job. And yes I have a backup bow I am comfortable with too. The draw cycle is very different and holding is a little different. Practice, practice, practice.

indeed, we are all different....I still do, and always have got rattled before I shoot a critter, the less I have to think about, the better. I do better with familiar gear...I don't even like new bows.
Roosiebull

Postby Rangerz » 04 18, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Montana Black Gold 3 pin slider and Rip Cord code red rest. Have worked well for me.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby jmez » 04 19, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I like the Hamskea rests. Pretty hard to beat.

Sights I like the Axcel models.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby CurlyTail » 04 20, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I would give a 3 pin slider consideration. Mine is CBE and I have been well satisfied.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Tigger » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I really like the 3 pin slider idea. HHA makes one but they are back ordered. I like my MT Black Gold so I love the feedback on the Black Gold 3 pin slider. I think spothogg might make one too. I am selling my old bow to my cousin...or actually trading it to him for helping me finish my basement. So consistency is not applicable in this case but it makes sense. Gonna go in Thursday or Friday to get it set up! Pumped! Thanks guys. Some bull out there is not happy with me getting good advice!
Tigger

Postby Deafirishman » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I have the QAD drop away and MBG Ascent 5 pin slider with a 4 inch dovetail. Bought this sight 2 years ago and it's by far the best I've ever used. Everyone has there own personal preference and that's the way it should be. Go with whatever you're comfortable with and not what someone tells you. We all have good and bad experiences with all sorts of equipment. Best of luck in finding whatever suites you. Congrats on winning a new bow. Wish I had that kind of luck. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby Tigger » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Okay, for a sight I went with the Montana Gold 3 pin adjustable. For the arrow rest I went with the Mathews (QAD). For the D loop I went with red. For the quiver I went with Mathews 4 arrow. For lunch I had an Elks Club Wrap with some really tasty honey mustard sauce. Paper tested that sucker and it was perfecto! Actually, my sight is on order so they borrowed me a used sight. I set it at 64# but I am thinking I might push that up to about 66 or 67# when I get its 200 arrow checkup. Can anybody see any reason I cannot shoot out to 250 yards with this setup?
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Tigger wrote:Can anybody see any reason I cannot shoot out to 250 yards with this setup?

Seems reasonable in the open country. You might have to limit yourself a little in heavy brush or timber. Just guessing. :lol:
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Tigger wrote: Can anybody see any reason I cannot shoot out to 250 yards with this setup?

Depends on the broadhead, I will absolutely not shoot past 200 unless I have a sharp coc broached, I say if you can keep your groups 8 inches or less at 50, and have a sharp broadhead, you should be fine. If it's really windy, best to keep it under 200, unless you have a really good app on your iPhone
Roosiebull