Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Good Targets and Backstops

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Good Targets and Backstops

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Awhile back I was asked which archery target I preferred for practice. Well all of my practice is about quality targets. I have my favorites like everyone else I suppose. The picture below represents what all of my practice is about. The rest of that stuff from Cabelas, etc. is preparation for my favorite target.

048.JPG
Swede's Preferred Target
048.JPG (141.46 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Good Targets and Backstops

Postby Wahpeton » 04 22, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I shoot a cheap cabelas foam block target, it's about 16" square maybe.
I have it hanging in front of a backstop.
I made the backstop out of two 3'x5' horse stall mats side by side, so the backstop is roughly 5.5" wide by 5' tall.
I have all this suspended by a rebar frame. I can practice in the wind at decent distances without fear of losing arrows.
I'm doing a lot of shooting at 40, 60 and 80 yards. I've never shot an animal past 30 yards, but this practice distance has been fun.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I have one of the Rhinehart targets with replaceable core. I've only had to replace the core once in 2/3 years; they're pretty tough and I shoot both FPs and BHs at it. I like the idea of the horse stall mat backstop and have looked at building a larger backstop to accommodate the mats more than once. Right now, I just have the Rhinehart sitting in a wood frame I built with a couple layers of carpet surrounding the target. I normally don't miss that bad but if I do, the carpet usually slows the arrow down enough to where it's just a few feet beyond the frame ;) .

IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG (203.32 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby jmez » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 4]

My targets change based on time of year. I shoot my bow every day that the weather cooperates. I use Morrell outdoor range bags for most of my shooting. I also have a Glen Del full rut target. As the season gets closer I do most of my shooting at the deer target.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby lamrith » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have a Bulldog Rangedog target I picked up used last year, 36x36. Before that I had a Cabela's green and then a cheap foma box target, the BH just eat the foam ones up alive.

WapitiTalk1 wrote:I have one of the Rhinehart targets with replaceable core. I've only had to replace the core once in 2/3 years; they're pretty tough and I shoot both FPs and BHs at it. I like the idea of the horse stall mat backstop and have looked at building a larger backstop to accommodate the mats more than once. Right now, I just have the Rhinehart sitting in a wood frame I built with a couple layers of carpet surrounding the target. I normally don't miss that bad but if I do, the carpet usually slows the arrow down enough to where it's just a few feet beyond the frame ;) .

IMG_1951.JPG

Been meaning to ask you... do you ever have issue with bees/wasps building nests in that setup? I have considered building something like that myself, but wasps build nests everyplace over here.. I could see building something to house my 36x36 as the primary backstop, but then pickup a Rhinehart to put in front for BH shooting. I Need to do something so target not soaked and rot in our crap weather and I can leave it out to shoot anytime there is a break in rain.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Nope, no bee issues at all to date.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Heartwood » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I've been shooting into a homemade target that I built from a post on archery talk. It is a plywood box frame, target faces have chicken wire and filter fabric cover front and back. The box is filled with old rags from the thrift store. 3 seasons and not a single arrow has passed through the back cover.
You do have to keep it out of the weather and repack the filling once in a while. Some guys build a small "roof" on top so they can leave it out. I leave mine in my shop and shoot at it through an open door. I think they call it a lifetime target on AT. Highly recommended and very cheap to build. I use a Rinehart block target for broad heads and at hunt camp.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I have a 39x 44 inch compressed carpet . Been shooting in it for 7 years. Tossed our a few pieces of carpet . A bit of work,. but great and cheap.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H