Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cache items?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cache items?

Postby NorthIDTLH » 04 23, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I've seen in some topics where guys debate the legality of placing caches in various places. Lets take that issue completely off the table. I'd like to know what your average meat eating elk hunter would put in a five gallon bucket cache, placed strategically in said elk hunter's elk territory.
NorthIDTLH

Re: Cache items?

Postby pointysticks » 04 24, 2017 •  [Post 2]

water?

a cast iron steel pan?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2017 •  [Post 3]

North, it is hard for me to say what you should take and stash. There are places where I can legally drive in the week before the season opens and set up a complete camp. I would just add a good wheel barrow to help with the pack out after the road is closed by the CFRs.
I do not know where it is illegal to stash some camp supplies ahead of the season. It is illegal to abandon things in the National Forest including wilderness areas. Some Forests have more restrictive time limits than others. I leave my tree stands out for the season and take them home afterwards. I would assume you are ok if you pack out everything after your hunt. I know that is not what you asked, but I am not sure how you want to camp and hunt.
I would have a small tarp, sleeping bag, rope, and tent in the container. Propane, matches, and little cook stove would be there with a large tin cup, pot and pan, plate, bowl, knife a couple of spoons a fork, salt, pepper, etc. If you have a little more room, fill the rest with dried food or game bags. You can carry the other things you want when you go in for your hunt. If you are going with freeze dried slime for food, then you can leave off the pot, pan, plate and bowl and even the fork. I do not know if you would want the salt and pepper either. Personally, I would keep the pan plus salt and pepper anyway, just in case I found a grouse that wanted to come to dinner.
I addition I would probably cache my water filter too if I did not need it on the hike in.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Beendare » 04 24, 2017 •  [Post 4]

How about a helium tank and a large mylar balloon big enough to float an elk carcass out of the backcountry?
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 5]

It might be worth your time to check on the legality of caches in the state you want to hunt. Sometimes it could be (Finders keepers losers weepers)!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I have questions about finders/keepers. How does a cache differ from a game camera, or a tree stand, or even a tent and camp set up? If there is such a place where something is left unattended how does another hunter get the right to claim it, or will law enforcement just not help the loser? If there is a finders/keepers State, don't leave your truck overnight unattended at the trail head. Finders/keepers.
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Non-perishable food in cans or jars (rodent and odor proof), fire starters and flame source (matches & lighters), 550 paracord, small tarp, water filter and Nalgene bottle, bottle of rye whiskey.
VT Sasquatch

Postby jmez » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I think water would be the big one.

As for finders keepers, I was always taught, if it doesn't belong to you don't take it. Period.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 9]

jmez wrote:As for finders keepers, I was always taught, if it doesn't belong to you don't take it. Period.

BTW: I think that is still in the Ten Commandments.

Different Forests have different policies on enforcement, but you can have issues with abandoned property, littering, or taking of federal land. Any of these apply depending on the situation.
Your car/truck, etc. left for an extended time would become abandoned property.
Stuff dumped could be considered litter. Probably a bucket full of expensive camping gear would be seen as abandoned property as early as two or three weeks when left unattended. I believe you could be cited sooner for littering, but I would appeal to a judge on that. There are no guarantees either way on how that would come out, but it is not cut and dried.
A tree stand, where someone runs off another hunter claiming they had a priority right to the water hole because of their stand, could be sited for taking federal land. The way that gets enforced is a federal officer dressed in camo, and carrying a bow gets to the water hole very early. He/she sits down on the ground and waits for you to arrive. When you show up and try to run him/her off he/she displays a badge and gives you an invitation to see him/her in court. You will not likely get a simple ticket. It will be a mandatory appearance.
Under no circumstance is a private party permitted to take property not belonging to them. That is still called theft.
Swede