Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Searching for a good frame pack.. Anyone?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Searching for a good frame pack.. Anyone?

Postby Waters199 » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hey Everyone,
I'm looking forward to going on my first elk hunt this year.
I've been looking for a good frame backpack.
Ive been looking at the mystery ranch metcalf pack and I'm really leaning towards it,
but I don't like how you hold a rifle with it.
So if anyone can help me out and point me to a great frame pack, that would be awesome!
I bow hunt and rifle hunt so if the pack can hold both and haul meat.
That would be what I'm looking for.
Thanks everyone!
Waters199

Re: Searching for a good frame pack.. Anyone?

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Waters. I have never had a really good pack, so I can't help you. This subject is discussed once is a while. You will probably get several opinions.
Good luck on your first elk hunt. Continue to hang out around the campfire here. You can get a lot of good pointers. There are a bunch of experienced hunters here and they have different opinions. We say what we believe based on our experiences, but we don't attack someone because they don't share our opinion.
I would not get an Alaska pack frame from Cabelas, if you are looking at a long pack out. They are ok for a short one under two miles.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby six » 05 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Lots of good info on this site as it has been discussed a lot. Personally I like an internal frame pack. It is easier to hunt with. Seems the external packs are always scraping on trees, getting hung up on branches, and just plain make more noise. I bought a external frame pack at Gander Mountain in the bargain cave. $40 it will make a pretty good training pack, but I wouldn't plan on hauling meat with it over a couple of miles.

My go to pack is an Eberlestock Blue Widow. It opens up so I can fit camp in it to pack in then once camp is set up I can zip it up and use it for a day pack. There are a lot of good/better packs out now as mine is over 5 years old.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby pointysticks » 05 02, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Funny. i just got my Metcalf about 4 days ago. just broke the box down yesterday for the recycler. i bought the thing because i LOVE my daypack the DRAGONSLAYER from the same company. i tried the pack the Roksliders gush about..(start with a K..just like KOOL AIDE) and while it is a great pack, fits awesome carries well, it really just distills down to a regular pack. i wanted something with a meat shelf. i dont want meat over my sleeping bag in the pack. i'll turn my K pack into a regular backpacking pack and my backcountry trout fishing pack. i truly hate it for hunting. hell, it is actually bad luck at this point. i have never seen a deer with that pack on my back :D

rifle. cheese ball easy. here is a good video. you can put the rifle on the pack 3 ways.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iiXS4si1yP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 05 02, 2017 •  [Post 5]

clearly i cannot embed a video. (Sure ya can PSticks, just copy all from the VID link "after" the v= and paste it in between the brackets once you click the youtube bar). RJ

pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby jmez » 05 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Several "types" of frame packs. Internal, external and then the classic external style with the aluminum frame. If you want the older more classic type "frame pack" then a Barney's would be your best bet. If you are just looking for a framed backpack then there are a lot of good options out there.

Before you start looking I would recommend sitting down and making a list of the features that are most important to you in the pack. List them in order of importance. Then you can start looking at the different brands and models that fit your needs the best.

The biggest issue is that the high end pack market is definitely a niche type market. They aren't available at retail stores so you can just go try them on and get your hands on them. Depending on where you live you may be able to find some people close that have different packs that your could look at and try on. You will want to get something in the near future as they take a while to get dialed in for a really good fit.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby CurlyTail » 05 03, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Are you talking about a bare bones, heavy duty frame to serve as a meat hauler, a daypack, a pack for day hunting that can also haul meat if needed, or a pack for an extended multiday backpack? Hard to find one pack that does everything.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Waters199 » 05 03, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Thanks everyone and yes I've seen that video.
I just didn't like how it holds on to your scope.
And I'm looking for a bag that I can do it all with.
I'm okay with having a big bag as a day pack, I just won't fill it all the way.
Waters199

Postby Grousewit » 05 06, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Checkout the eberlestock packs with quickdraw holster in middle of yr back. Mine works great. Reminds me of pulling samari sword out! Guns in middle of yr back and has more protection. X1E is model I got.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit