Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shooting Your Bow

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shooting Your Bow

Postby Tigger » 05 03, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Let's hear the commentary on how our practicing is going.

I have now shot 50 arrows through my new bow. I have a used site from the bow shop on it and when my new one comes in, I will start for real. But for now, just getting the back muscles in shape and stretching the string. Seems to shoot great though! Nice groups. Put it this way, the groups are as good as I am. The bow seems to be more accurate than I am (yeah, I know, that aint saying much!). No beach ball is safe with me shooting at 20 yards!!!!
Tigger

Re: Shooting Your Bow

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Had some minor setbacks with my new Darton but after a few back and forth adventures (don't ask) with the company, I have the final configuration in hand. Got all the parts back on the Maverick II (again) and got her paper tuned (again) over the weekend. On to some final tweaking (walk back tuning) perhaps this weekend and then, I'll be able to lock the sight pins down and start shooting a goodly handful of arrows each week. :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Brendan » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I'm pretty much dialed in and ready to go at this point. Bow is tuned, fixed and mechanicals are flying right on with my field points, sight tapes are on. Shooting better than I was during Elk season last year. So - it's keep practicing and shooting 3D for me, and I am going to experiment switching back and forth between my Single Pin and 5-Pin sight housings before I make the call which one gets used in the woods this fall.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 4]

My bow is tuned and I am getting closer to ready. I shoot every other day weather permitting. I need to decide just which arrows I will hunt with and dial everything in for them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have been shooting while at home, been out of town working the past week.

Just put a new sight on, went to a 5 pin real deal, from a black gold ascent 5 pin slider, got it sighted in for 20 and 30, but didn't want to go further because I am having some heavy arrows built.

Have a WB sure shot pro at home waiting to get put on, taking off the qad hdx and back to the biscuit for me.

Been shooting enough all winter to stay proficient, even if it was 13 yds in my shop, keeping form good and those muscles toned.

I will be all set with everything by the end of the month...not behind though, just getting things dialed for August
Roosiebull

Postby Wahpeton » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Brendan posted:
So - it's keep practicing and shooting 3D for me, and I am going to experiment switching back and forth between my Single Pin and 5-Pin sight housings before I make the call which one gets used in the woods this fall.

What criteria are you using for deciding between the single pin option and the 5 pin sight. I am shooting one bow with a single pin adjustable and another bow with a 5 pin Spothogg sight. It seems like I shoot better with the single pin sight, but I'm concerned with having to adjust a sight while hunting versus having 5 pins ready to go.

Any thoughts shared would be appreciated.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby Brendan » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Wahpeton wrote:Brendan posted:
So - it's keep practicing and shooting 3D for me, and I am going to experiment switching back and forth between my Single Pin and 5-Pin sight housings before I make the call which one gets used in the woods this fall.

What criteria are you using for deciding between the single pin option and the 5 pin sight. I am shooting one bow with a single pin adjustable and another bow with a 5 pin Spothogg sight. It seems like I shoot better with the single pin sight, but I'm concerned with having to adjust a sight while hunting versus having 5 pins ready to go.

Any thoughts shared would be appreciated.

So, in my case my sight of choice is the Spot Hogg Hogg Father. A dovetail sight where I can leave a base attached to the bow, and with a simple quick release, remove the dovetail and scope / housing. This allows me to have a single pin sighted in, and within about 20 seconds, swap in a 5 pin that is sighted in as well. So - very easy to switch back and forth without needing to re-sight at all.

For the past couple years - I have shot a single pin. I love it, I'm comfortable with it, and I shoot better with it at known ranges - no if's and's or but's about it (Actually, it's one of the "double pin" sights - which helps).... And, I'm comfortable with it and not needing to adjust or dial at 40 yards or under. But there's always the question of a bull moving in fast and not being able to "dial" for yardage, or a bull moving away. In a scenario like that - a 5 pin will be the better sight because you don't have to hold over/under or adjust and you can still dial for longer ranges if needed. But, you're "gapping" when you're between pins which is not as accurate.

If I can get comfortable with a 5 pin, and be almost as accurate, I will likely switch. I think a single pin is better on the 3D range or any target range, but I think that the 5-pin may be better under hunting scenarios and I've heard many people I respect in the archery world say that. Problem right now - I like the single pin and am comfortable with it, so will have to see, because at the end of the day what matters is that you know and trust your setup and it's like second nature to you...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby jmez » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I put a new sight on this spring, Axcel Accutouch Pro. I have a 5 pin head. I've got it sighted in 20-60 yards so far. I haven't set the sight tape up on it yet. Try to get it done this weekend. I'm not shooting quite as good as I want yet to set the tape up. I like to be pretty dialed in when I do that. Didn't shoot much at all this winter so still getting back up to speed on form and hold.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez