Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Releases

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Releases

Postby TimeOnTarget » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I've been using the same release for 12ish years now. It's an old 17 dollar HHA release. I've convinced myself I would shoot better and not slap the trigger like I do now if I had a better release.

The New Panic-x from trufire looks interesting.

What are you using and what should I get?
TimeOnTarget

Re: Releases

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 2]

The release I use and would recommend is the plain black Scott Shark. I understand it is the most popular release on the market and for good reason. It is a very smooth release. The jaws are narrow and rounded, and does not damage your bow string or D loop. I think they come with a Velcro or buckle strap. I prefer the buckle strap as it lasts forever or close enough.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I shot a Scott mongoose for a long time, and loved it, but the last 7, I have shot a spot Hogg wiseguy, no change on the horizon, I love that release
Roosiebull

Postby Brendan » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Get a release where you can adjust the tension on the trigger. Being able to put your finger on the trigger, settle in, and then start to slowly and steadily pull makes the world of difference. I had a Fuse where I swear if the wind changed it would go off, and switched to a Carter and a Hamskea. Made a world of difference.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby TimeOnTarget » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Brendan wrote:Get a release where you can adjust the tension on the trigger. Being able to put your finger on the trigger, settle in, and then start to slowly and steadily pull makes the world of difference. I had a Fuse where I swear if the wind changed it would go off, and switched to a Carter and a Hamskea. Made a world of difference.

that's how my HHA is, If I tip it jaws up, and move my are downward it will go off everytime.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
TimeOnTarget

Postby lamrith » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:The release I use and would recommend is the plain black Scott Shark. I understand it is the most popular release on the market and for good reason. It is a very smooth release. The jaws are narrow and rounded, and does not damage your bow string or D loop. I think they come with a Velcro or buckle strap. I prefer the buckle strap as it lasts forever or close enough.

I second that. I had the typical cheap truball release, then I tried a shark when I wanted a non velcro unit for hunting. The difference was night and day. The shark has a bit of adjustability too. You can adjust the trigger sensitivity, and you can adjust the length of the release as well. I went buckle as well, but in camo.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Larry, I had a camo one too, but set it down and walked away. I went back, but could never find it. They are smooth to perfection. I have had several other releases, but nothing compares to the Scott for hunting.
Swede

Postby lamrith » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Larry, I had a camo one too, but set it down and walked away. I went back, but could never find it. They are smooth to perfection. I have had several other releases, but nothing compares to the Scott for hunting.

HEH Funny. I bought a second one that I keep in my pack, I was thinking in case mine failed, but putting it down and losing it is another option!
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby six » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 9]

th[2].jpg
th[2].jpg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 6426 times

It was pretty pricey 5 years ago, but I've used it ever since. I've even tried out the hook style release that was all the rage for a few months a year ago. Went back to the Scott and my group tightened up.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I too carry a backup release. It is a Cobra. Cobra stands behind their product very well, and I will never say anything against them, but they are not up to the Scott quality and design standard. If you start out with a Cobra, you will like it fine.
Swede

Postby DBLGBL » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Carter BK Hunter.
DBLGBL

Postby TimeOnTarget » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Looks like ill have to give the shark a go! Time to change things up a bit i guess.
TimeOnTarget

Postby Roosiebull » 05 10, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Good choice, very good release. I had one for a bit, and would have kept it, but I had 2 Scott mongoose, so I gave that one to my brother....excellent hunting release
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 10, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I haven't tried a bunch of releases, but, one of the features I like on a release is the "fold back" feature. I'm not sure which other companies offer this but I know Trufire does. It's nice being able to fold back the mechanism against your wrist when not in use, and, it pops back into work position quickly when needed.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 10, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Here is a feature I watch out for. I avoid one that has wide jaws or has relatively square edges in the jaws. The wide jaw is harder to get on your D-loop. You can compensate by having a longer loop, but that shortens your draw and may become a problem in itself. No release has square edges on the jaws, but some are close enough to cause wear on your D-loop. Over time the D-loop will wear and fail. The Cobra has jaws that are too wide for my liking and has too square of jaws. The Scott Shark is smooth and rounded. After years of use, my D-loop shows no sign of wear.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 05 10, 2017 •  [Post 16]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:I haven't tried a bunch of releases, but, one of the features I like on a release is the "fold back" feature. I'm not sure which other companies offer this but I know Trufire does. It's nice being able to fold back the mechanism against your wrist when not in use, and, it pops back into work position quickly when needed.

the wise guy is another that does...I guess I do use that feature a good deal, just never really thought about it.
Roosiebull