Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Easiest Bugle Call to learn?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Easiest Bugle Call to learn?

Postby Cbb » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I have a few of the videos from Elk Nut, but was wondering what everyone thinks is the easiest bugle call to learn to make basic bugle sounds with?
Cbb

Re: Easiest Bugle Call to learn?

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 2]

A bite and blow call is the easiest to make quality sounds with. The diaphragm/grunt tube combo is the most versatile. I have not tried all the bite and blow calls, but the best sound of those I have tried is the Berry Thunder Bugle, and he is a sponsor here. You can get some additional versatility with the Thunder Bugle by getting several different reeds. I don't care for the black one. It is too hard for me to blow. I don't think one bite and blow call is easier than another. The ole Abe & Sons call could be finicky.
Elknut Paul Medel also has a bite and blow call. I just have not tried it. I think he considers the bite and blow reed end to be like training wheels on a bicycle. When you are ready to go without, you can take the bite and blow part off and just use the grunt tube with a diaphragm.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Primos Terminator is pretty easy to get a decent elk sound
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

E.L.K. Inc. Power Bugle
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 06, 2017 •  [Post 5]

As always, I highly recommend using a tube and diaphrams to get the most realistic and versatile bull elk sounds. For those who absolutely can't get the tube/reed thing down (mostly that is resultant from dedicating the time to learn/practice), I've always liked the Berry Thunder Bugle or the Elknut XTR (internal reed bugles). Same with cow sounds; hands down diaphrams will get you the most bang for the buck as far as productive range (cow mews, calf chirps, whiny cow sounds). I do carry a "kind of" bite and blow cow call to mix up my sounds. Can't remember what it's called :shock: but there are a bunch of them out there that sound good.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 05 06, 2017 •  [Post 6]

bugling bull "select a bull" is my favorite.

I have tried and tried with diaphragms, but my gag reflex keeps shutting me down (yes, I do gag on my toothbrush every day) diaphragms are superior, but not the only way.

for cow calls, my very favorite is the E.L.K inc cow talk deluxe.
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Yep, if you gag brushing your teeth mouth reed use would be a tough to learn! My son in law is the same way with brushing his teeth. He uses our Chuckler XTR model bugle & a primos hyper lip single without the tone chamber on it. He's taken between 25-30 elk with this combo. He's a very aggressive caller & has taken every elk solo.

I'd recommend the Chuckler XTR as just about the easiest bugle to use with very good sound!

Check this link out, hope it works, it's a demo of the Chuckler XTR Bugle!
https://www.facebook.com/elknutoutdoors ... 6812713176

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Roosiebull » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Paul, I had not seen these, i'm going to get one for sure, thanks for bringing that up. looks like a perfect bugle for me.
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 09, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Hey you bet! It has very good tone & will reach a very high note if needed to help penetrate the thick stuff! I really like its sound for an XTR Bugle!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Cbb » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Ordered the XTR today! Can't wait to try it!
Cbb

Postby Lonnie » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I just started blowing on the Phelps Amp reeds. I find them very easy to use and get a great sound. I slide it all the way forward in my mouth. A friend of mine that has never blown on a reed tried it and was able to get sound out of the Amp reed first couple of tries. Cow calls and bugles on same reed.
Lonnie

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 13, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Hey Art, thanks bud, if you have any questions about the XTR let me know sir!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Cbb » 05 14, 2017 •  [Post 13]

ElkNut1 wrote:Hey Art, thanks bud, if you have any questions about the XTR let me know sir!

ElkNut1

Will do, Thanks!
Cbb