Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

non hunting, hunting products

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

non hunting, hunting products

Postby Roosiebull » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

what are some of the products you use hunting, that were not designed for the woods?

lots of ways to save money by finding products not aimed at us suckers....lets hear yours.

my favorite is Dr Bronners pure castile soap, I use the non scented baby soap, and use it all year, because it's a good product.

it is all of the way scentless, doesn't smell like "non scented hunting soap" :mrgreen: and it leaves zero residue...really good stuff.
Roosiebull

Re: non hunting, hunting products

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I use Ivory hand soap and Arm and Hammer unscented laundry soap with no ultra violet brighteners.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 05 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

clothing is another way to save money, solid color merino base layers on sierra trading post...always save money there, nothing really needs to be camo, especially base layers.
Roosiebull

Postby Marshmstr » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Roosiebull wrote:clothing is another way to save money, solid color merino base layers on sierra trading post...always save money there, nothing really needs to be camo, especially base layers.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marshmstr

Postby Roosiebull » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 5]

another good one, I believe credit goes to oregonTK for me learning this one.

cheap space blankets for putting meat on while processing....I have been searching for something tarp like, but lighter for a few years....space blankets are going to be perfect for the application....and for those who hunt where the temps dip down at night, it's dual purpose as a safety item....light and cheap.
Roosiebull

Postby ishy » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 6]

So this is a hunting product now, but started out for law enforcement investigating crime scenes. You just mix a couple tablets in a spray bottle with water and spray anywhere blood has come in contact in the dark. Stuff is amazing. It doesn't fix bad shots, but will add more clues on a hard track job especially in rain. You can try it out even months after packing on anything even after washing, it will still light up if it has contacted blood!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 7]

ishy wrote:So this is a hunting product now, but started out for law enforcement investigating crime scenes. You just mix a couple tablets in a spray bottle with water and spray anywhere blood has come in contact in the dark. Stuff is amazing. It doesn't fix bad shots, but will add more clues on a hard track job especially in rain. You can try it out even months after packing on anything even after washing, it will still light up if it has contacted blood!

I carry a small spray bottle of peroxide, sounds like they both have similar results. Does the LEO tabs cause the blood to foam like HO or does it have a different effect?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Ishy, what are you describing? What tablets?
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

ishy, that's what you call a teaser ;)

what is the product, and do you need a light to light up the blood? i'm very curious about it.
Roosiebull

Postby Brendan » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I believe the product he's talking about is "BlueStar"

http://www.bloodglow.com/

Never used it, but remember some reviews/discussion over on ArcheryTalk
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Tigger » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Baby wipes. Do I need to explain further? When you.....nah, I ain't gonna do it!

Straps. I have some nice little stretchy cinch straps that work great for lashing bows to ATVs and hopefully loose meat or a front quarter to my daypack.
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I don't believe the Blue Star product works in the daylight. Peroxide works both day and night. I have used it on blood trails a day old and it still foamed up when it contacted even the smallest drop of blood.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I use a black form fitting Balaclava alot. Great for sleeping in the cold, great for exposed windy ridges. Weighs nothing, and cheap.

I use an old fashioned Coin Purse - to carry and dispense milkweed fibers (no seeds) as a wind checker.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Lefty » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Roosiebull wrote:cheap space blankets for putting meat on while processing....I have been searching for something tarp like, but lighter for a few years....space blankets are going to be perfect for the application....and for those who hunt where the temps dip down at night, it's dual purpose as a safety item....light and cheap.

I use those even lighter painters plastic. , while not a space blanket (I have some of the $2, $3.00 but carry a higher quality one for shelter)
Painter plastic can be used to shed water, snow , and for collecting water, rain or evaporation methods.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 08, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Old pillow cases for hauling meat out.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby six » 05 09, 2017 •  [Post 16]

35 mm film canister for milkweed fibers.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby scubohuntr » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 17]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I don't believe the Blue Star product works in the daylight. Peroxide works both day and night. I have used it on blood trails a day old and it still foamed up when it contacted even the smallest drop of blood.

Yeah, but who ever blood trails in daylight? BTW, a Coleman lantern (the old white gas mantle type, for you kiddos) really helps pick out blood drops in the dark. Much better than any flashlight. +1 on peroxide.
scubohuntr

Postby saddlesore » 05 13, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I carry a road flare for emergency fire starter. Also use the cheap painters plastic drop cloths.
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 14, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Those $19.95 tactical flashlights you see advertised on TV all the time. They make a great walking light and you can zoom it out and see objects well over 100 yards away.
>>>---WW---->

Postby NorthIDTLH » 05 21, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Those tablets mixed in water are just designed to illuminate after reacting with certain proteins in blood. Peroxide works just as good or better, but like most things in life, it's a little anti-climactic. Conditions have to be just right.

And when you're watching your favorite crime show and they turn on a black light after spraying luminol and the whole room lights up blue from the hidden crime scene...that would be the only place that happens. Certainly not in real life...

The blood trails I've followed after putting an arrow through an elk were more like highways! Blood on the huckleberry brush, trees piles of coagulated blood. I've started walking to the side of blood trails to keep from getting blood on my pants. Those elk seem to carry around un-ending gallons of blood sometimes.
NorthIDTLH

Postby Swede » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 21]

One of the tools I carry now is a box cutter with a Stanley hooked blade. Stringunner showed me that trick and it works great for cutting hide. I use it to go around the neck, down legs and up the underside of an animal in preparing to skin it.
Swede