Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Toxic broadheads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Toxic broadheads

Postby currie » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone used these broadheads. If so what did you kill and are you pleased with there performance
currie

Re: Toxic broadheads

Postby Roosiebull » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I have a friend who used them 2 seasons, he killed one elk and lost one elk with them. the one he killed was a heart shot, low broadside shot, arrow didn't make it through, but killed well.

the one he lost? all I have is his version, and you know how that goes....what I do know, is he got very poor penetration, but I do not know why...maybe hit shoulder? maybe poor broadhead performance?

he is shooting a 420 grain arrow out of a tuned bow.

he asked me about heads before last season, I suggested magnus ser razors...middle of the first week he sent me a pic of a dead bull and "i love those broadheads" I think toxics are like many other heads, use a heavy enough arrow, and enough draw weight, make a good shot, and you will be packing meat.
Roosiebull

Postby Ridge Ghost » 05 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I have heard quite a few stories of them failing. Blades breaking, lack of penetration, etc. Given the blade design, it's easy to see how it can clog with meat on it's way through an animal and not penetrate.

With so many good heads on the market, why choose a gimmick head that may or may not work on game? Use a quality head like VPA, Slick Trick, Shuttle T, Wac'em, Magnus, Muzzy, etc and don't look back.
Ridge Ghost

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Revis

Postby Swede » 05 09, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I too have heard that the Toxic broadheads can have a penetration problem. I am going to try their Cyclones this year. I don't see why they should not preform well. They are more conventional. I have no basis to think the blades will or will not break. They look like the same steel as others, but some metals are more brittle than others. Soon I will start shooting at my broadhead target. That will tell me more. Maybe the broadheads will get replaced and the Toxic will be used for varmints, but I am optimistic.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby chipick » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I use crimson talons another odd ball broad head and it is a 6 blade, 3 large and 3 small in between and are curved so they spiral in they have a 1 3/8" cut diameter and leave a good hole have taken 2 bulls and 1 cow with them
chipick