Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Base camp tent

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Base camp tent

Postby Wahpeton » 05 10, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Guys,

My hunting partner has a Cabelas Alaknak 12x20 tent. We've hunted out of it for the last three seasons for about 10 days at a time. I need to get my self set up as well. Right now I would just go out and buy the same tent or maybe the 12x12 Alaknak, but wanted to ask here for opinions and why? I think I like the floor in the Alaknak versus a more traditional wall tent, but maybe I don't know jack and need to be educated?

Please share.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Re: Base camp tent

Postby steveo » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I use a 12x12 Alaknak tent. Its good for 2 people with a 3 dog stove. You can fit three with not stove. We used a 8 man SO tipi last year. Had the stove combo but didnt need it due to warm weather in archery season. We will bring both this year for 1st rifle in Colorado. It takes alot of work to set up the Cabelas tent but the tipi is fast and even easier to take down. Either one is a good choice.
steveo

First Name: steve
Last Name: oltmann

Postby Indian Summer » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Have you ever stayed in a wall tent? You can put floors in them. I prefer a removable floor myself.

If you are camping at the truck which I assume you are since you say base camp then weight is not an issue. With that in mind there is no way I'd opt for an Alaknak over a quality canvas wall tent. No way. Try one and most likely you will agree.

I've spent weeks guiding out of Alaknaks and the one thing that sticks with me is the condensation. Yuk. Plus nylon doesn't last forever whereas a wall tent will last for life if you dry it properly before storing it.

is there a reason you are leaning toward one over the other?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkduds » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I'm w Joe, canvas is king for heated tents. Canvas tents w attached floors? Springbar, Kodiak. Dome-shaped canvas w floor? Kelty.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:Have you ever stayed in a wall tent? You can put floors in them. I prefer a removable floor myself.

If you are camping at the truck which I assume you are since you say base camp then weight is not an issue. With that in mind there is no way I'd opt for an Alaknak over a quality canvas wall tent. No way. Try one and most likely you will agree.

I've spent weeks guiding out of Alaknaks and the one thing that sticks with me is the condensation. Yuk. Plus nylon doesn't last forever whereas a wall tent will last for life if you dry it properly before storing it.

is there a reason you are leaning toward one over the other?

What he said! I've spent the better part of 40 years (geezus, I'm an old geezer) camping/hunting in about any and every style of tent you can imagine and the one thing I have noticed is that synthetic materials are not the best options when it comes to a base camp tent for many reasons. Perhaps take a look at/contact the Wall Tent Shop (one of our sponsors) and see what they can do for you on a tent that as Joe mentioned, will last a lifetime if cared for properly. Set up that wood stove in there and start the elk camp memories.... in full comfort!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I agree with I.S. on this too. The outfitter knows.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Wahpeton » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Thanks guys.

I'll do some investigation into the opinions and options provided.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby six » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I have a 16x20 wall tent by Davis. We use it for deer camp every year. No floor is nice when you come in to get warm and don't want to take your muddy boots off. A small pieces of indoor outdoor carpet is nice next to your cot for getting dressed and undressed. Or you could use a 16x20 piece of carpet for the floor.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby jmez » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I'll go against the grain on this one. For 10 days at a time I prefer the Alaknak. Our group sold our Canvas tent an replaced it with an Alaknak.

If I were putting one up and leaving it for an entire season I'd go canvas. Canvas is heavy, hard to move around, esp if by yourself, take longer to set up and take down. Alaknak is a great tent if just using for a couple hunts here and there. We haven't had any condensation issues.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Jmez, I appreciate your going against the flow and explaining your reason. Your sound rationale and the polite reasoning of others makes this forum what it has become.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Brendan » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Here's my take.

I have a Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow 10x14 - has a floor, it's canvas, I installed a stove jack for a Nu-Way propane stove. Very comfortable even in nasty weather. It's easier to put up and take down solo and is smaller than a wall tent (from what I hear anyways). Because it's also fully enclosed with screens on windows - it's better for warm weather camping with mosquitoes and family members who want a floor to keep out the bugs, snakes and spiders :D - really, it's a great tent, give them a look.

With that said - I hate the floor during hunting season. I found myself in and out of it pretty frequently, and when it was raining - it got to be a pain in the a** having the floor. Got to be messy, wet, didn't want to take boots on and off, etc. Once it was set up and I wasn't thinking about transporting it or setting it up - I was wishing it was a wall tent. With that said - not sure I could've fit a full wall tent in my truck and would've been much more of a production to set up and take down solo.

As a happy medium - I think a Seekoutside or Kifaru Tipi (12 or 16 man) with a propane stove would be awesome for base camp when you want to be more mobile and have something easier to set up than a wall tent. The downside - they're expensive...

https://store.kifaru.net/12-man-tipi-p79.aspx

https://seekoutside.com/tipi-tents/
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby saddlesore » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Wall Tent.Nough said!!
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby T.B. » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Without a doubt a wall tent will provide more comfort ( no condensation ). I have an alaknak as well, while it is easier to put up the extra effort of the wall tent is well worth it.
T.B.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 14, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Brenden: Have you ever actually ever been in one of those high dollar teepees. They are nice and warm with a wood stove but the condensation is like an Amazon rain forest. With a propane stove, it would probably be like Niagra Falls.

Canvas is the #1 choice of most outfitters and knowledgeable hunters. We used to have one. And for the late seasons, we had an old Monogram oil burner stove in it. We got by on 5 gallon of fuel for a full week. It was great and no wood to cut. Fuel oil or wood doesn't produce moisture like propane.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Brendan » 05 14, 2017 •  [Post 15]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Brenden: Have you ever actually ever been in one of those high dollar teepees. They are nice and warm with a wood stove but the condensation is like an Amazon rain forest. With a propane stove, it would probably be like Niagra Falls.

Yes, I own two smaller versions for backpacking use so I'm well acquainted on when you'll get condensation and when you won't (One single person, one 2-3 person, I spent maybe 8 nights in the 2-3 person without a stove this past elk season). Also - you can get liners for them to make them double walled which helps with condensation when you're not running the stove.

And, I think you're misunderstanding the propane stove - mine is a Nu-Way, externally vented, with a chimney. Not talking like a Mr Heater here... No condensation from them at all and much more convenient than a woodstove for that reason. Get back to camp, throw a switch, and you've got slow even heat all night long, or you can turn them on full blast to dry out. I ran mine 3-4 nights this season, and don't think I used a 1/3 of a tank of propane.

The problem with a wall tent - they're a pain in the ass because of their size, setting them up, taking them down, and if you're going to move sights. Especially if you're primarily a solo hunter like I am, and have one truck, no trailer to transport everything you bring. I agree - if you have the room, once set up and you're in them, they're the best option, and equally so if you'll know you'll be in one location and not moving, but it's all about tradeoffs.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 16]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Brenden: Have you ever actually ever been in one of those high dollar teepees. They are nice and warm with a wood stove but the condensation is like an Amazon rain forest. With a propane stove, it would probably be like Niagra Falls.

Canvas is the #1 choice of most outfitters and knowledgeable hunters. We used to have one. And for the late seasons, we had an old Monogram oil burner stove in it. We got by on 5 gallon of fuel for a full week. It was great and no wood to cut. Fuel oil or wood doesn't produce moisture like propane.

I have been looking for this style of tent and stove setup, from what ive heard the liner will take care of the condensation issue. If I was looking at a a base camp only style it would be a canvas tent. I dont have any personal info on it. Number of people and gear you need to store depends on the size and size of the stove.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Beendare » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 17]

It seems like I've been in just about all of the tent designs out there inc with buddies that own the Cabelas Alaknak and Bighorn..... I own their 6 man Ak tent.

I really like a canvas tent for a road based camp. I currently have 2; a 16' wall tent and a Davis Herder. I wouldn't buy the Herder again due to the center pole but would highly recommend the wall tent. A guy really doesn't even need a big one- a 12 footer has a lot of room....16 footer is perfect for 4 guys.

The absolute key to those wall tents is having an internal aluminum frame. I can set up that big azz 16' wall tent by myself in 20 minutes. You assemble the roof, drag the tent over it, lift up one side installing legs, do the legs on the other side- then tie it off. They are like a cabin....really cool. Really the only down side is weight and bulk.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 05 20, 2017 •  [Post 18]

As far as time and ease of set up goes if you use and your internal pole frame a wall tent is a BREEZE! I do it solo and have put up 15 by 18s alone. As with anything experience is key. One time I pulled up to a trailhead where two guys had just pulled their tent out of their truck. I busted mine out, threw it up and tarped it. They were still assembling and disassembling their pole frame. Finally the one guy comes over and says holy heck dude you've obviously done this before can you help us? Here's the funny part..... I walked over and looked at the frame poles. One of them had "Huskers" written on it in Sharpee marker. I said to the guys this one is a bit tricky but I've set it up a few times before. "How do you know that?" Well the guy that wrote Huskers on it is from Nebraska and he did it as a joke because the guy you borrowed this tent from is from Louisiana and they always had a rivalry. On this particular tent the rafter sections are only 1 inch longer than the wave poles so it's important to stand them on end and sort them out. They were like "What the....!" This tent belongs to Chris OBrien does it not? "As a matter of fact yes it does. Ok step aside boys. Bam.... instant tent.

Once you've set "your " wall tent up a few times it is truly a piece of cake.

As for floors there is a happy medium. Go to Harbor Freight or just Google "mesh tarp". They are like heavy duty vinyl screen. They keep the dust down but let the water drain through. They weigh next to nothing and can be cleaned in a flash with a garden hose. I love them for floors and if I didn't use that I would have no floor at all but instead just a 2 foot by 3 or 4 foot piece of carpet next to my cot for when I put my boots on and off at the beginning and end of each day.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Wahpeton » 05 20, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Great insight!

Thanks for sharing.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton