Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lighter Draw Weight, Lighter Arrows OK?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lighter Draw Weight, Lighter Arrows OK?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 1]

For all you bow techy guys/gals. OK, I know this guy who was diagnosed with a relatively odd medical affliction not too long ago (after going through a handful of sawbones that obviously, had their heads up their arses and couldn't figure it out) who has diminished ability to negotiate a heavier draw weight. He's feeling much better now after the new doc made a correct diagnosis, got him on the right inflammation reducing meds, but he'll probably not get back to pulling back heavier draw weights in his lifetime. Well, this guy is about my age and has always shot heavier draw weights (up to 75+ lbs back in the day) and heavier arrow setups, but now, he can only comfortably draw back around 56 lbs with his new Darton Archery Maverick II (weird, that's the same bow I have). This friend of mine, really good guy by the way, was just asking if you smart guys thinks he'll be OK shooting a 420 GN (total weight w/BH) at his quarry, the stinky elk? He's got his bow tuned and can stack em in there out to 40 yards, and, has pins set out to 60 for a possible follow on shot if presented. Whaddya you guys think? Will his 420 GN total weight arrows (Black Eagle Rampage 350s, 28", 100 GN Magnus Stinger Buzzucts, ) be enough to down a mud caked, snot nosed, red eyed wapiti if he keeps that all important first shot at a reasonable distance? I'll tell him what you said :D .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Lighter Draw Weight, Lighter Arrows OK?

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 2]

You will be alright RJ. Don't worry. You just need to hit where you aim, and not try those 200 yard shots anymore. With a 50+# bow you are fully adequate. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I'll tell my friend what you said Swede. He did say that the Darton Archery bows are far superior to many of the big money grip, box brand bows so their speed and accuracy alone is a combat multiplier, even at lower draw weights :;
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 4]

You can tell your friend he needs to remain clear headed and not become delusional. I am sure with enough practice on your friend's part, his equipment it will do the job. :lol:
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Do the job? My friend said that he had to put cinder blocks behind his targets to prevent the Darton from splitting his target, blasting the blocks into powder, and penetrating his neighbors pole barn a hundred yards up the hill :).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2017 •  [Post 6]

RJ, I just hope your friend is no maniac. With a bow like that is anything or anyone safe?
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 7]

At 56# of draw weight I would have 420 grain arrows be my max weight, any heavier & his bow will most likely be reduced in penetration & trajectory! He may want to consider building an arrow from the Tip back. I'd start with 175 grain to 200 grain total tip weight first. That's insert & head choice combined. Now choose a correctly spined shaft with the correct grains per inch & he will have a devastating penetrating arrow out of his 56# bow! Good luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I have found there is a wide variety of arrows that will shoot fine out of my bows. They need the proper spine, FOC, and helical fletch, but weights just need to be consistent. You need to sight your bow in with the arrows you will shoot. I can see a big difference in where arrows hit if they vary by 20 grains or even 10 grains. Your lighter draw bow will be more critical of arrow weight inconsistencies. Don't over think the issue. Elknut's 420 grain arrow will work fine if everything else is done proper. A 380 grain arrow or a 450 grain arrow will work too if spine, FOC and fletching are correct.
Swede

Postby jmez » 05 12, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Should work fine.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Tigger » 05 13, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Absolutely no problem. You are way ahead of the trad archers. Plenty of energy and well above the state minimum for elk of 50 pounds in WY I think. And that was using old equipment. What is your draw length?
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 05 13, 2017 •  [Post 11]

it won't bounce off ;)

for a few years, my favorite bow had 60lb limbs, and I shot a 380grain arrow (complete arrow with head) that setup made quite a few elk dead, and in short order, never had a tough track job with that setup.

I have now changed my program a bit, but the elk will not be any more dead....I wouldn't think twice about it, it will work, and great broadhead choice for that setup. I went through scapulas on a few on the off side, never had a full pass through, but had some with the arrow sticking out the other side.
Roosiebull

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 14, 2017 •  [Post 12]

If it hits where you are aiming with a hair splitting sharp head, you are good to go!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Beendare » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Prayers to your 'friend' RJ.

Well Paul and I totally disagree on the arrow weight thing....my take. Its all about your BH with those low energy setups and you are using one of the most efficient designs....you will be fine. Assuming you have good arrow flight, it doesn't take much to push those 2 blades through a critter.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Bruce, no disagreement with you at all. I'm sharing info with the thread starter that is proven on live elk! It doesn't matter if he uses 2-blade, 3-blade or 4 bladed broadheads. They must be as WW mentions, razor sharp! Lots of quality elk medicine out there these days! At 56# he has plenty of umph to get it done, shot placement is paramount here, hit them where they live regardless of head chosen!

This bull was taken with a 40# Hoyt Raider bow & a 400 grain arrow tipped with a 125 grain 3 bladed head by my son at 13 years old. He drove the arrow to the fletchings, 50 yard recovery.

ElkNut1
Attachments
Paul 7.jpg
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Here's the following year at 14 years old with a 50# bow & 400 grain arrows with a 3-bladed head once again. This was a 40 yard shot & mostly a pass through. The fletchings were the only thing holding the arrow in the bull on the opposite side of hit. So when I suggested that his 56# bow suited with the proper spined arrow was good to go with 400 - 425 grain arrow I was speaking from personal experience. His setup is more than adequate & one he can have confidence in through practice knowing he will hit where he aims!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Paul 4.jpg
Paul 4.jpg (107.14 KiB) Viewed 10160 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Wow, look at Paul junior knocking em down at a young age; that's awesome! And, he was doing it with an old school wheel bow shooting lower draw weights. Ya, I'm sure I'll be just fine with the set up I have now; I was just sparking some elk gear discussion ;). The modern day cam bows are much, much more efficient and incredibly fast compared to what we shot back in the 70s/80s. I think the last time Lamrith (Larry) swung out by my place with his chrono, my setup was throwing an arrow around 265 fps and that was at 54ish lbs if I remember correctly. Heck, 70lb bows in the 80s weren’t reaching those speeds! Working on getting the Darton cranked up to 60lbs as my bow strength continues to improve. Come on September!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 17]

It has been my observation that with lighter arrows we need to limit our shot distance. Certainly modern bows are more efficient in transferring energy to the arrow, but energy drops off quicker with lighter arrows. I would not say there is a hard and fast rule for everyone, but I limit my distance to 40 yards. Part of that decision is based on penetration problems I have experienced in the past.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 18]

my sister in law killed this Roosevelt solo, 24.5" draw length I think, 50lbs, 400 grain arrow...shot was 30 yds, we didn't find the arrow.
Attachments
mels bull.JPG
mels bull.JPG (219.71 KiB) Viewed 10145 times
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Steely dark eyes and gritting teeth turned to a half smile. The look of a killer. :D

Congratulations to the lady with a short draw bow.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 20]

haha, yeah, I created a monster with that one :D

she has killed a lot of stuff by herself now, and fills her freezer every year. she shoots sharp COC heads, and her setup does just fine.
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 21]

I dont recall exactly what my daughters draw weight and arrow weight, but the arrow was light and so was the draw weight. Her arrow damaged the skin on the far side of her bull moose.
My first elk shooting 412 gn (I believe that's correct ) 43 # draw weight put two arrows through the cow. A big bull elk those same arrows and draw weight went through the ribs ( The bull was later killed by a muzzleloader )
And for those fellows out there: my surgeon offered to give me a handicap permit for a cross-bow so that can be an option

On rifle I believe bigger and faster is better. Transfer of energy is the important factor. Of course shot placement is most important.
But a sharp blade just slips right through ;)

Overall shoot the strongest draw weight you feel comfortable shooting, and an acceptable arrow weight. My first years archery hunting I limited my shooting distances,

And I like ultra-light gear when fishing :o
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Beendare » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 22]

Yeah, an arrow is a pretty impressive projectile when you think about it. Blows away bullets in some cases as I've seen animals keel over much faster than some rifle shots.

i've seen them do some amazing things....and i've seen total fails. Good arrow flight is of course the key.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics