Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Titanium Stoves

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Titanium Stoves

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I have been looking in to a stove and tent set up for this year. It seems like it would be a much better option than the system we are running right now and would payoff down the road.
I can see a lot of people are using them. Some people will start it up in the morning and warm the tent as they get ready for the day. For those of you that have used one, do you wait for it to die out before going into the field? Also looking for opinions on size, style and pros and cons for the small stove systems that others run.
Looking for a 2 to 3 person setup and would like the option of cooking or boiling water on it. The box stove style is what im leaning towards at the moment. What do you guys think?
This will be my 6th year elk hunting. I have yet to go out west and have consistent weather. It has rained for multiple days leaving all of my equipment completely soaked. I've also experienced some nasty blizzard type weather that set in for a few days. Weather has played a part in every hunt I have been on. The stove and room of a larger tent would be great for the days you are locked down and need to dry out equipment. We always tried the lightweight tents and having fires to dry out clothes. It just doesn't work when you are getting rained and hailed on to dry things out. This will help when elk hunting becomes a grind for me.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Re: Titanium Stoves

Postby Brendan » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Brent - What type of hunting? Spike Camp? Bivvy style with camp on your back? Base camp? How often would you be using it solo, vs. with 2? 3?

I have a Seekoutside medium box stove for my Sawtooth. Flat top so you can cook on it if needed, but these stoves are more designed for warmth. Also - they burn short and hot, so you have to keep feeding them. I would not rely on them for cooking and would still bring a canister or white gas stove, but if you have them running anyways - may as well throw a pot of water on top. With that said - I haven't used it all that much. Weather has either been nice, or I've been able to hike out 3-4 miles and spend a night in a more comfortable base camp, and then head back in the morning.

Sawtooth is just under 5lbs. Wood stove is just under 3 lbs. This setup would be great solo, fine for 2, very tight for 3 people with a lot of gear.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 3]

One I can use for a base camp and spike camp. Most of the time I would be with at least one other person. There will be times I hunt solo. I have the bivy style covered with a tarp tent. I was looking at a 4 man or the sawtooth style. Cooking on the stove would be really simple things. Like you mentioned, boiling water is usually how I cook. I did read about how you do not want to load the top of the stove up when its burning really hot. The stove will serve two main purposes for me. Moral booster and drying clothes out. Having a fire is a nice thing for me and its simply a thing of comfort.
The sawtooth and medium box is the setup I have been looking at. It doesnt seem like it would work for 3, not with comfort anyway.
BrentLaBere

Postby Brendan » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I would consider the Sawtooth and Tut from Kifaru, but neither of those will work for 3 with gear unless you're cramming people in. I used my Sawtooth solo this year - ultralite cot, chair, room for gear - it was awesome....

From Seekoutside I'd look at the Cimarron and Redcliff. The cimarron is similar in size to the Tut and Sawtooth (I think) and it looks like the Cimarron is a little larger and bridges the size to the larger tipis.

Beyond that - I'd be looking at 8 person tipis from either Kifaru or Seekoutside. If you already have something for solo backpacking - one of these might be worth considering. But, they'd be heavy if you ever wanted to bring one in with a stove solo.

There should be some pretty detailed threads on those shelters over on Rokslide if you're looking for more...

For stoves, I still think I'd pick SeekOutside. I like the box-design as opposed to oval as it gives me the option to cook or heat water. If I wanted a stove for a smaller shelter, or just for heat, I might consider one of the smaller cylinder stoves.
Brendan

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Yup..... haha Ive been looking into all of those options. I have visited rokslide quite a bit. Just like day packs and packs that will haul meat, there is not a one style fit all. (in my opinion) If I had the budget for it I would get a two person shelter I could carry on my back and a canvas wall tent for roadside camping. I'm just trying to find one that could be used for both and understand it may not be ideal for one of those types. I tend to make these decisions harder than they need to be.
BrentLaBere

Postby Beendare » 05 15, 2017 •  [Post 6]

IMO, Brendan is right on....though personally I would want a bigger tent than the Sawtooth if using as a base camp out of the truck. If you wanted dual purpose...then fine.

I made one of those cylinder stoves from Ti shim stock and I cooked on it no problem. That design is super light but not as functional as the box stoves.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Brendan » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 7]

The more I think about it, because you already have a Tarp Tent, the seekoutside 8 man tipi would be a pretty attractive option. A little lighter and a little less expensive than Kifaru.

https://seekoutside.com/8-person-tipi-pre

~7lb at the lightest, another ~3lb for a medium stove. Options for a carbon center pole. Options to add in liners or even screen doors. That covers you from a "heavy solo" option - to base camp, or splitting between guys if you're hiking in...
Brendan

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Interesting points. What do you guys think on the liner? I have been back and forth on the idea. Just read a thread on Bowsite and a few that had extreme conditions certainly recommended the liner. I have also seen others that go back and forth on it. Seems like a pretty good security to have and easily taken out.
Only drawback ive seen on these larger tipi tent styles is the layout. Do you think it would be difficult to find places to pitch? That was the first reason I stayed away from the larger base tents. But thinking about it the larger tipi would be a great dual purpose and an 8 person would fit 3 people and be a castle for two. Something I could get used to with the extra weight. Worth it IMO
BrentLaBere

Postby Brendan » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Liner would be a "nice to have" but not needed. If you have the $$$ - you can bring it or leave it depending on the scenario.

Regarding pitching - I've had issues with my Sawtooth when I've tried to set up in timber. Took me a while, but found a spot. So with a tipi, sure you could, just need to be a little more aware of the terrain. Seekoutside does give you the option to pitch the 8-man like a smaller 6-man by using a different set of tie-outs and lowering the pole if you only have a smaller space.
Brendan