Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Original, Great Piece of Hunting Gear!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Original, Great Piece of Hunting Gear!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Don't you kind of get weary of the "new and improved" label to a certain degree? I know as time moves on there are technical improvements that are discovered for most all types of products but, really, Tide, the soap, has been improved how many times over the last chunk of years; I'm pretty sure the original did the job, yes? Can you think of an original model piece of hunting gear that has not succumb to the "new and improved for this year" curse. Please, name one old school piece of hunting gear that that has stood the test of time and has really never had to be improved upon and it still works and works well ;) .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Original, Great Piece of Hunting Gear!

Postby Roosiebull » 05 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

kind of sad I had to think as hard as I did to think of just one.....the nosler partition
Roosiebull

Postby Elkduds » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 3]

2: topo map & compass.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 4]

TP! Amazing how everyone forgets to put it on their gear list.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 5]

On the other hand, how often have you done something and gotten it absolutely right the first time, no possibility of improvement?

With the litigious society we live in, you can't really make little tweaks without letting people know or you will get sued for it.

You can't put something out that says, "Hey, we changed stuff" or people will whine about it and suspect there was something wrong with your product.

You can't just let it ride or your competitors will figure it out instead.

You know they get bales of whiny customer comments every day, from someone who figured out how to use the product exactly wrong and break it. Read the customer reviews on any website- Cabelas, Midway, Brownells, Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsmans Guide... How do those people even feed themselves? Whole departments are dedicated to idiot-proofing products, but Nature always builds a better idiot. Every time someone complains, they have to look at the complaint and decide if there is any chance it will lead to a lawsuit, how they could fix it, and if it would make the product better, safer, and/or more tort-proof if they did. When they do decide to make a change, "new and improved!" sounds much better than "now more legally defensible!"

But yeah, I get sick of hearing about it too.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I know there are improvements in just about everything. I still have camo that I have used for years. Most of my clothes are the same stuff I would have worn in 1965. I don't buy much of the new and improved material.
I have a tent that has been around since the Vietnam war. My guns are older than I am. Some of the bullets, powder, cases and primers are old, but functional. Knives age well and so do sharpeners. The compass is an older type.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Wahpeton » 05 18, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Here are a few I think.

Nosler partition - Roosie Bull already mentioned - perfect example! Still the bullet by which all others ought to be judged!

30-06 or 270, you could argue that the 270 was the "improved" 30-06, but that improvement is decades ago, the short magnums surely don't do any more than any of the original "old" calibers, all HYPE.
Whisker Biskit arrow rest, pretty much bullet proof.
Buck "Personal" fixed blade knife.
Handyman jack?

This was a great question, really gets you thinking.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby Tigger » 05 19, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Coleman stove? I know they have different models, but I think you can still get the original.

Buck knife as already mentioned.

Sorel boots? Again different models, but pretty much the same.

And how about the flip side of this here thread---some piece of revered old time equipment that when you actually go use it again, realize it is junk compared to today's model. Mitchell 300 fishing reels come to mind for that. My dad got an old Winchester Model 97 shotgun not long ago. He used to shoot them a ton and thought they were awesome. He tried it out after a 30-40 year absence and his comment? I think I will stick to my Beretta.
Tigger

Postby pointysticks » 05 23, 2017 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: Tide, the soap, has been improved how many times over the last chunk of years; I'm pretty sure the original did the job, yes? .

hmmm..TIDE is a bad example. the laundry detergent world HAD to change. the new high efficiency washers forced the change. the new soap is based on the much smaller water usage. it had to foam even less and rinse out even easier.

back to the que..any knife. that design will last forever.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lonnie » 05 25, 2017 •  [Post 10]

My Old Timer knife. I got it from my grandpa. It is when they made them in USA, back when they were using good steal. It only has two blades. Keeps a razor sharp edge like no knife I have ever owned. I can skin a whole elk out with it and not have to sharpen it one time. I dont know the age on the knife. But I bet it is a least 50 years old. And the best part about it is it was my grandpas knife. Brings back memories every time I use it.
Lonnie

Postby Backyard » 05 25, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Archery arm guards; They used to be secured using 3 elastic straps with Velcro fasteners. Now the new and improved ones have clip/buckles that are difficult to fasten with one hand. I can't do it(I know, before that they were laced up. The Velcro was an improvement in that case.). I like to wear one when I'm wearing a heavier jacket to keep my sleeve back from the string. I can't find one with Velcro anymore.
Backyard

Postby Lefty » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 12]

>>>---WW----> wrote:TP! Amazing how everyone forgets to put it on their gear list.

I go one step further and finish up with a scent free baby wipe

Bic lighters!!!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby redtop » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Enamel coffee pot?
Wool hunting clothes.
Full tang knife with a leather sheath.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Beendare » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I've upgraded just about everything except i still wear merino wool socks and still use my swaro SLC's...though I have added to that stable<grin>
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Wahpeton wrote:, the short magnums surely don't do any more than any of the original "old" calibers,

My understanding of the short mag, the powder burns better, and more complete within the barrel. The theor
With the right load you bullets will be more consistent, ultimately tighter groups.
However most shooters arent as good as their gun or bullets
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby COElkNut » 06 17, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Fixed blade broad heads - the cut-on-contact type like the Zwickey (Eskimo, Delta, etc). There are so many different broad head innovations, but none that offer any real improvement (as regards penetration anyway - I know this is a hotly debated topic so i'm expressing my personal, non-professional opinion here).

Knives - the Havalon replaceable blade seems like an excellent innovation though i have never used one. I like full-sized, full-tang knives with a high-sabre grind and convex edge geometry. I've a terrible hankering to re-make a design i did a few years ago in a steel called Elmax.

External frame packs - I have 3 huge internal-frame mountaineering/expedition packs as well as several (thinking 5) mid-sized internal-frame mountaineering/climbing packs and a handful of day packs. I've hauled in excess of 85lbs in my expedition packs (my fav is a Gregory Denali Pro and my Gregory Petit Dru Pro is a close second) and they handle these huge loads with aplomb - especially considering i was usually on steep uphill and uneven footing with crampons.

However, i LOVE my Cabela's Alaskan "freighter frame" (?) external pack frame with a day pack strapped to it. What an awesome combo - all my days hunting bits-n-bobs, some food and water and extra insulation in the day pack. If i am blessed with harvesting an elk, i can pack however much I want back to camp on that amazingly comfortable frame.

Incidentally, i do not find the external frame noisy or inhibit my moving quietly through any terrain except blow-downs which are almost always problematic. However, i do tape and cover as much metal surface as i can to minimize the noise footprint.

Compass and topo map - while I do rely on my gps in most of my navigating and general position, i double check with my "paper" map. I then confirm my direction of travel with my compass

Wool knit cap - i love these things. Warm without usually being too much.
COElkNut

First Name: COE

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Filson Mackinaw Cruiser, Winchester 1894 in 30WCF, Buck 101 Folder, Stetson 10X beaver felt hat, Minnesotta Leather chopper mits with rag wool liners, Bear Kodiak Recurve, Bear Razorcap broadheads, Cedar arrow shafts with turkey feather fleching, kerosene lamps, canvas wall tents, Filson oilskin garments, Colt model P single action revolver in 44-40, waxed canvas paniers, the half hitch and picket lines, a compass and topo map, Swiss Army knife (the original multi-tool), stormy Kramer hats, USGI wool socks, Baked enamel coffee pots, flint and steel...
1Elkhunter

Postby saddlesore » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I still use WWII style paunchos that were 1/2 of a shelter half. It's getting hard to find the good heavy rubberized ones.I also use WWII canteen case with the pot inside.I did upgrade the canteen to Vietnam style plastic one, The P38 ( might have the number wrong) little can opener that came with C rations.

The saw buck pack saddle I use is the same style that was in use in the1 800's

The only big tent I have now is the Octagonal Squad tent with a winter liner in it. 2 ft walls and one center pole.

My elk rifle is a 1952 Model 70 in 30-06. My antelope rifle is 6.5 Swede mauser, I sportarized. It is probably a 1940 mfgr

The other side of the coin is that my Pocket Rocket sure out performs my old SVEA brass stove that you had to pour Coleman fuel around the outside and burn it to build pressure to get it to light.I still have two of them.

The newpoly long johns sure are more comfortable than the red woolen ones with trap door in back. Might handier too
saddlesore

Postby Roosiebull » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 19]

how about Easton aluminum arrows? I know we are all too cool for them now, but they still are a great option for elk, it's the easiest way to get a really heavy arrow. I have a couple dozen oldies right now that I plan to fletch up during the off season....maybe I will even hunt them next year. I could keep a dozen for practice, and a dozen for hunting, so i'm not screwing a broadhead onto an arrow with a wobble.

it's tough to build a 600 grain carbon arrow, easy with aluminum.
Roosiebull