Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Better Bows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Better Bows

Postby Swede » 05 26, 2017 •  [Post 1]

RJ seems to really like his new bow. He even takes it on special outings with his favorite cerveza. I was figuring we would see him come into camp this year with the bow mounted on the hood of Big Red the car. I understand now it will be on Big Red 2 the truck. Hummm. There seems to be a lot to like on the new archery equipment, but will the new bows (any bow) make us better archers beyond what was available 5-10 years ago? What is you opinion and why?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Better Bows

Postby Cbb » 05 26, 2017 •  [Post 2]

They are easier to shoot well, smoother to draw, easier to hold at peak weight with higher letoffs, and much faster than their predecessors.

Will they make you a better archer? Not always, but they can build better confidence on the range. Confidence on the range will lead to confidence in the woods.
Cbb

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I agree Cbb. I have been harassing RJ some on the forum about his new bow, but to be fair and up front, I too purchased a new bow this past winter. It is a Mathews Halon 32. The draw length is 27" and the draw weight is set at 63#. The BH is 7 inches. It has taken me a just little getting used to. The draw cycle is very smooth. the balance is great. What is a little different is the valley. It is very narrow, so I need to hold hard against the wall. After practicing with the new bow I have noticed is my shot pattern is more consistent and the bow was super easy to tune. I can hardly believe how easy the bow was to tune. I get a perfect bullet hole when shooting through paper and my broad-heads hit right where my field points do.
For tuning the bow, I measured 13/16 of an inch from the riser to the middle of the arrow and left it there. That is where the dealer said the center shot is on the bow. That may be true of all Mathews bows, but I am not sure. The arrow sitting on the rest is level. The arrow has the proper spine for the bow, is fletched right and has a good FOC. The bow is tuned. Just sight it in and head to the woods.
I do not know if RJ has had a similar experience with his bow, but I suspect he has. The new bows are better.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I won a Mathews Halon this spring at an RMEF banquet. I had a Mathews Z7 Extreme. Not a ton of difference, but I haven't shot the Halon that much and my sight hasn't come in yet so it really is too early to tell. So far, my impressions are that it is a little better all the way around. I figure when I get my sight on it, I will be good out to 250, maybe 300!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote: I figure when I get my sight on it, I will be good out to 250, maybe 300!

That Halon 32 is better than that. You will be able to nail one from the back of a pickup on a drive by shooting. With a little English on the arrow the critter will fall right next to your truck. And you say you WON the bow! Congratulations. Some people have all the luck. :D
Swede

Postby Cbb » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I just got a H32 a couple months ago. I agree with you on how it shoots. I got the 6" brace and cranked it down to a little over 70lbs. It loves the 5 and 6 mm Easton FMJ. Not sure which arrow will be with me in Montana yet but I have no worries.

I have only broadhead tested at 20 yards so far. Hope to bounce it back to 40 or 50 this weekend.
Cbb

Postby Roosiebull » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I think how new bows help, is to give us more options. all bows shoot good, some we just don't shoot as well as others. I do think they are much easier, and more fun to shoot than the bows of 20yrs ago. every aspect is more shooter friendly....super quiet, smooth, fast, and easy to pull and aim.

I don't see any eye opening difference in the last 5 years.
Roosiebull

Postby Wahpeton » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 8]

The placebo effect maybe?

If you think you shoot better with your new bow, you will.

You have to like what you are shooting /hunting with.

Bows are always improving, but the law of diminshing return is where we are at in my opinion. I don't see as big a difference in change from bows over the last ten years as the previous ten years

I believe that the gains tapered off dramatically after 2010 or so.

I am currently shooting a Bowtech CPXL from 2012? I have friends that have new bows from Elite, Bowtech, Mathews, Hoyt, etc. I don't see them being that different from my 5-6 year old technology.

My youngest boy still hunts with a Ross CR337 from about 2005 or so and it is as smooth a shooter as ever. It was rated at 310fps or so at the time. It is stretched out to 31" draw length and a pretty good sized bow string loop gets him to 31.5/32 draw length. That bow has one of the smoothest draw cycles you will ever pull, it's hard to shoot it bad.

I've "special tuned" my CPXL by moving the draw length adjustment to 31.5' and the draw stops to 32". It has an "elite" like draw cycle now that I've made the magnum valley. I didn't see my accuracy change with the extra large valley.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby Beendare » 05 30, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Incremental improvements...sure.

Make a difference.....not really.

I think the good shooters can shoot anything well....and will kill with whatever bow. Have you noticed, the crummy shooters always seem to be looking for a better mouse trap....complaining about their bow?

New bows are great but you end up spending a lot of time learning that bows traits. Its a whole new learning curve. The question; would a guy be better off spending his time improving his skills with his old bow? You know, the one where when he picks it up, he knows something is not right........ and can put his finger on the problem immediately.

I hate to admit, I've spent hours trying to dial in one new bow that now.......... I can close my eyes, shoot....and tell by the sound it makes if its tuned or not.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby 1Elkhunter » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I love the new Tim Burnett advertisement on The Outdoor Channel... don't remember the mfg but the add basically came down to if you missed a shot, "I bet it was your bow" and suggests that you need to buy the bow being advertised. I laughed out loud! How stupid do they think we are? I would wager it's the gears fault maybe 1 in 100 times. In my experience, it's about the archer knowing his set up through experience, lots of practice to the point of being automatic, and a consistent shooting routine/cycle. I know that for me, when I miss (targets or critters), I did something wrong... not my tackle. However, modern archery equipment can make a difference IF the shooter has the skill to leverage the technology properly. If you want a lesson in how important form, focus and repetition is in accuracy, go shoot a Recurve or a Long bow for a while. ANY deviation in form will have an immediate and significant affect on accuracy! Yet a lot of guys use primitive tackle to kill elk every year (e.g. Elk Nut and his crew). If you know your weapon, practice ALOT, and are confident in your ability with said equipment, you could kill consistently with a spear.
1Elkhunter

Postby stringunner » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 11]

IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG (108.54 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
stringunner

Postby pointysticks » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 12]

i got rid of my Z7 because it was hurting my shoulders.

went with a smoother Elite. i'm done..i am not chasing a new bow down the rabbit hole again. it's modern enough.

the only thing that will make me buy new would be:
1. i need a lighter pulling bow
2. i am switching over to a lefty bow.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Stringunner, Is he telling us that we all shoot great with a Mathews? I think I shoot better with mine. I am not sure all that is involved, cams, brace height, A2A or draw weight, but together it seems to work well.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I agree not a lot has changed in the last 5 years. However, just like a shotgun, finding the "right" bow for you is important. Sometimes a little change here or there just makes the bow shoot better. Placebo? Could be, but if it makes you a better archer, I will take it! I gained a little speed as well. Not enough to make a big difference, but I won the thing, so I will take it!
Tigger

Postby Rock Stick or Fish » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I'm a used bow junky who hasn't ever met a bow he hasn't liked.

So in 2010 I've had a Hoyt Turbohawk and a BT Admiral. I've had a 2013 BT Insanity, I've got a Mathews Chill X and a BT BTX setup for this season.

I think the 2010 bows and the newer ones shoot about the same. The newer bows might get you a little more usability for the same level of performance, with a smoother draw and a nicer valley for the same FPS. But assuming the same fit, I think I've shot all of those bows about the same.
Rock Stick or Fish