Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's your favorite bugle tube

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's your favorite bugle tube

Postby Lonnie » 05 28, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Just wanted to know what you guys were using on bugle tubes in the field. I do like the bugeling bull from Rocky mountain hunting calls. It's light weight and gives a great tone. I just go the rump shaker from Wapiti-river-outdoor. I love the bottom end. I can get a more realistic chuckle out of the bottom end of the rump shaker. Gives great tones. I am excited for hunting season to wear them both out.
Lonnie

Re: What's your favorite bugle tube

Postby Indian Summer » 05 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Elknut Chuckler full size for me. If i was going to try anything else it would be a 2 foot + section of a big jumbo wiffle ball bat. Those have won many calling contests at the Eastern Sport Show in Harrisburg Pa. But who would want to carry that around and the Chuckler has a monster sized sound so it's definitely my choice hands down.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 05 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Picking on RJ again here. The question about bugle tubes reminds me of RJ's vehicles. He has Big Red the car. With a throaty exhaust he gets a certain pleasing affect. With Big Red 2 the truck, the exhaust sounds different. Both are fine but different. The same can be said for grunt tubes.
I have the lil Chuckler and the Wapiti River grunt tube. Both are great, but different. The resonance and tone are different. I have some old vacuum cleaner hose. There is not much resonance there, but it was what I used for years. I think the larger bell grunt tubes sound like a big bull and reach out better. Do you want to sound like a large bull or a smaller one? What are you trying to call and how?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I've tried a bunch of em. Never did I find one that I was really satisfied with. Anything that sounded half way decent was a big monstrosity to pack around in the elk woods.

After a lot of trial and error and modifications, I finally made my own. It is small but still sounds as good as any commercial tube out there. I'm happy now! :D
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lonnie » 05 28, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I do like the sound of the bigger tube. I have pretty good control over my reed. So I'm not woried about sounding like a big bull. I will probably leave the big tube in the truck for those late night locates and pack the lighter for the ridge running. I would really like to try out the elk Nutts chuckler. How is that tube.
Lonnie

Postby baddaddy » 05 28, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Got the old and new chuckler and the mini. Like them all.
baddaddy

Postby Rangerz » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I have a Rocky Mountain Elk bugle and the latest tube from Elknut.

I prefer the one from Elknut due to its slightly smaller size and the fact that it has ribs in it. I feel the ribs add to authenticity of the sound by mimicking an Elks esophagus.

Elk Pack.jpg
Elk Pack.jpg (243.91 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Lefty » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 8]

For hunting I carry a a Primos Pack bugle. I don't think it is made anymore, the call I have is smaller than there current pack bugle
Both bugles I own were both giveaways from Eastman's.
SO favorite, I really cant answer. I m satisfied with the one I have.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I am not convinced there is one grunt tube that is best. I am convinced that there are several excellent ones available that will serve you well if you know how to use them. That said, let me encourage people interested in buying hunting products, including grunt tubes to strongly consider supporting the great sponsors of this forum. Without them this forum and all the information available here, and the camaraderie here would soon vanish. Just think, wouldn't you miss Swede ranting at you on such a myriad of subjects? :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I am not convinced there is one grunt tube that is best. I am convinced that there are several excellent ones available that will serve you well if you know how to use them. That said, let me encourage people interested in buying hunting products, including grunt tubes to strongly consider supporting the great sponsors of this forum. Without them this forum and all the information available here, and the camaraderie here would soon vanish. Just think, wouldn't you miss Swede ranting at you on such a myriad of subjects? :D

Swede you cant imagine,.. well maybe you can,.. how many times Ive compared the calls offered by sponcors. And someday,.. when my daughter leaves my pack or call( I wont ose it ;) :lol: ) Ill try another
For years I owned many of the great goose calls and not so expensive , But Im a meat hunter, not a stage guy.. I can make any short reed goose call work. ,

But that hasnt been the case for diaphragm elk calls for me. I like a small tube because it isn't as much a hassle in my pack as something bigger.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Lefty, you lose your calls, and I end up giving mine away. In either case we need to go and buy another. :D I have not given away many grunt tubes. Maybe it is because I do not sound as good, or the hunters with me don't want to share the diaphragm I have been using.
Swede

Postby Wapiti » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Well I've used about every bugle tube on the market as I'm a nut for elk calling gear !! LOL most of you all know this about me anyways already. So with that said I've designed and helped design a few bugle tubes most of you guys are seeing nowadays.

It seems clear to me that there are 2 things guys are looking for in a bugle tube.

1. Being a smaller packable tube.
These are great for packing in great distances as you save space........notice I stated you save space. Not weight. The mere 1-2 ounces you save in weight is nothing when comparing to a bigger tube. But you compromise sound quality. Not a big deal..........or is it ??

2. Bigger bugle tubes.
These are bigger to carry and are more cumbersome..........but the sounds you get out way all the weight and cumbersome issues most of you guys are thinking of !!

I've called elk for the better part of 35 years now and up until last season I had never had a call in every single day of the season until this past season !! From Aug 25 until Sept 27th 2016 me along with others I've taken out called in at least 1 bull on each and every day out in the field !! I was out every day and on a few of those days I called in 5 or 6 bulls in one day and this is heavily hunted bush areas with OTC tags in Alberta !!

Why or How was this possible ?? I truly believe it all has to do with My new Rump Shaker Bugle Tube !!

Now I'm not on here to sell you anything with this post I'm merely stating my findings from this past season. You folks take it as you will.

One thing I can say is if you can call in bugling elk in the saddle hills north of Grande Prairie where I live and thousands of guys come and stay forever and hunt the bow season and rifle season. You are sounding good to the bulls !! Especially when everyone else was struggling to even get a response from any elk. Which I heard from multiple guys !! Guys were calling me the whole season why the elk are not bugling !! Including TV Shows calling asking for advice.

All I know is the bulls really took a fancy to the sounds coming from my bugle tube. Was it a pain to pack ? Not for me as when I wasn't using it I just slide it down into the side pouch on my pack. Most of the time it was in my hand though as you feel impowered each and every time you bugle through it............addicting ??? Yes it becomes that way !!

That's all part of elk hunting though. Being confident in your gear and when you feel like you can talk with the elk and call them in every single time..........well there is no better feeling !!

The Rump Shaker was the difference in my mind !! I'll carry it every where from now on !

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea