Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Another Bino/spotting scope thread

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Another Bino/spotting scope thread

Postby Navesgane » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Curious as to how many of ya'll carry larger binos when hunting/hiking? I have a pair of 8x ziess now and am thinking of getting a good pair of 10x's instead of carring the 8x's and spotting scope around but am thinking they may be to big and bulky to crawl around with and may become inconvenient to actually use as much as I do the 8x's. Can a good pair of binos take the place of, or at least be adequate enough for a spotting scope without being too expensive, heavy and bulky?
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: Another Bino/spotting scope thread

Postby Swede » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I too have wrestled with that question. I suppose it depends on the area you are hunting, but I have settled on a pair of 8X glasses. The Zeiss 8X32s are a fine optical tool. For the advantage of a 10X, even in open country, I would not change. Besides you have a lot more bulk to deal with.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby TimeOnTarget » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I really do prefer my 12x50 EL's. They're a bump heavier than my 10x42 EL's but I prefer them when glassing meadows across a canyon or 2. And this is my preferred hunting method so 12x it is!
TimeOnTarget

Postby Brendan » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Where I've hunted in MT and WY - I've had no need for a spotter at all. 8x32 binoculars is it. Then again - Elk were all in the timber and I was finding them by calling during the rut.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Beendare » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Total optic Puta here.

One thing you realize with glassing, when you put them on a tripod, it makes all the difference. Even an 8x turns into a powerful tool.,,,though I mostly use 10x or 15x for that.

I too like the 8x for elk hunts and such as I can hand hold them one handed....but go with 10x on hunts like Mulies in the high country and/or my 15x60 Zeiss binos sometimes just packing the 15s as my solo bino....with my tripod [Sirui 1205 I think it is] to save weight.

I much prefer the 15x binos over a scope...though the scope at 45 power can really give you a good view if its not in the middle of the day. Heat waves and environmental conditions like smoke/haze can really negate a high power optics advantage.

Its worth considering the "Why" on high power optics. If you aren't picky about trophy quality....what real diff does it make whether that bull 3/4 mile away is a 5 point or 6? You are going to be happy to shoot him either way. In that case you don't need high power. If you are hunting moose in a 50" or 3 brow tine area.....then you better darn well get a real good look at him a mile away vs trudging 2 hours over soggy tundra just to find out he ain't legal.

I recently upgraded my 8x vipers to some Nikon EDG's I found for 1/2 off. Oh man, I thought since my eyesight has been going downhill it wouldn't matter much....but it turns out it matters much more. I've owned a tried all of the top glass...and these EDG's are the best of the bunch. Do the research and spend as much as you can on good glass...its a game changer.

Most guys know this; try locking a couple fingers over the bill of your ball cap when holding your binos, it keeps them steadier.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics