Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Havalon Knives?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Havalon Knives?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Have you guys that carry these things as your sole knife for big game ever really used it "by itself", solo, to break down a big game critter? Just curious. I've used them and have my own opinion but want to hear from others.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Havalon Knives?

Postby wunder6 » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 2]

My hunting partner used it on his bull last year. If I'm remembering correctly I think he went through 4 blades. IMO it worked great since that was all he used to skin, quarter,and take the straps off with. Oh yeah also took the head for a mount. So yeah they got my vote.
wunder6

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I bought one last year because I loved the size and weight and the idea of razor blade sharp. I thought the price was really good too. I've always used knives in the past that you can pry with the blade and so there is definitely a learning curve on letting the knife do the work and not using the blade to pry with. I deboned a deer and an elk last year with mine and cut up the meat at home. It definitely took me a bit of getting used to because of being so much smaller then my other knives (and I never thought they were that big). All in all it will be in my pack this year and for years to come, so I guess it's a thumbs up for me.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Brendan » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I've used it solo - 3 blades on one Elk. Including cutting the hip sockets and the spine to detach the head. A couple things - there are two blade thicknesses, make sure you get the thicker blades. Also, you need to let the blade do the work. Cutting motions only, no twisting or prying. Most people who break them are used to being able to pry and twist to pop a hip socket or something like that...

I do carry a folding knife (benchmade) with me that gets used for all camp chores and day to day use, and if I ever needed something tougher - it's there.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I used to help a good friend who was a taxidermist. We used a scalpel to flesh hides. It was way too easy to knick your fingers without even realizing it. But, by the end of the day, your fingers would be sore as all get out. Guess I was lucky not to get a severe cut. The Havalon uses replacement blades similar to scalpel blades. So be careful out there.

Give me a GOOD fixed blade knife anytime. Mine will go through an elk and two deer without ever needing a touch up.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Backyard » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I bought one last year. While I wasn't lucky enough to use it on an elk, I did use on a a white tail. I ended up breaking one blade for the same reasons already stated. There is a learning curve to not twist and pry with it, and if you do break one, make sure you account for all the broken pieces before continuing.
All in all I'd say it was a good investment. But I'll still be carrying my fixed blade too. Old dog something, something... ;)
Backyard

Postby Charina » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Yes, with a caveat. Used for everything except peeling skin back. For that, I prefer something duller with a nice long curved blade. So, my havalon is my primary knife, but I carry a fixed blade skinning knife for its intended purpose, and as a survival tool should I need to hack away at some wood. Using the havalon also included disconnecting the lower leg at the ankle, hip joints, etc. Two blades on my last elk, a mature cow.
Charina

Postby Beendare » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I have one...tried it for a couple animals...didn't like it. Now I have one i use for caping out a skull...works great for fine stuff.

I have buddies that use them- meh. I think its hard to beat a knife with really good steel. I can process a couple elk with no touch up with either of the S30V blades I have.My current fav is that Benchmade Steep country S30v....pictured here

https://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Country-Drop-Point-Orange-Handle/dp/B00QCM3J9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496347787&sr=8-1&keywords=benchmade+steep+country+knife

I don't mind part of my hunt prep being the sharpening of my knife....
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Brendan wrote:- there are two blade thicknesses, make sure you get the thicker blades.

Is that still the case? I thought they went to the thicker blade only and discontinued the thinner one. The thin blade has been prone to breaking and a source of criticism for them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby jmez » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I have one and rarely use it. I use it for skinning furbearers and would use it for caping but that is about it. I'm not a fan as a hunting knife or for breaking down an animal. They dull far to fast and take more time if you use them correctly.

There is a huge variation of quality of the blades. The Havalon blades aren't real high on that list.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Brendan » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:
Brendan wrote:- there are two blade thicknesses, make sure you get the thicker blades.

Is that still the case? I thought they went to the thicker blade only and discontinued the thinner one. The thin blade has been prone to breaking and a source of criticism for them.

Both are still listed on their site (For the Piranta anyways....) You want 60A not 60XT.

60A: "At 20% thicker and 30% stronger than our #60XT blade...."

I haven't looked in a ton of detail at the other options:

http://www.havalon.com/replacement-blades.html

Another option is the Baracuta, which is even bigger and sturdier, but you still need to be careful of twisting / prying:

http://www.havalon.com/havalon-baracuta ... nives.html
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Brendan, I see what you mean. I have the XT blades. I thought XT meant they were extra thick, but they are not the thick ones.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 13]

havalon is the only knife I have used to break down critters the last 4 years, In that time, I have done my 4 elk, plus another 3 or 4 with friends, I have done my 4 deer, and at least a half dozen with friends and family, a mt lion, and a couple bear without using any other knife, I have a system down where I can skin and take apart an elk with 2 blades, very neat tool, did take some getting use to.

that being said, i'm done with them as a primary knife, will still pack mine and use it some, but i'm getting a real knife again. I have had a couple friends, and know others who have cut themselves bad with them, a couple requiring surgery because of cut tendons. I feel they are a liability, I have had a couple "oh s***" moments with close calls, and it's just a matter of time one of those close calls turns into an emergency. I hunt alone mostly, and in my mind, their convenience isn't worth the hazard.
Roosiebull

Postby chipick » 07 12, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I have a havalon and love it, took 2 blades to do my elk. Outdoor Edge has a folding 4" ( I think ) that you replace only the edge of the blade and has a steel backing so it looks like a regular folding knife when folded cost is about the same as havalon. Gerber haze a design like the havalon but has a button to release the blade witch I like because I'm always worried about cutting my fingers when changing blades in my havalon, but with the gerber knife you loose about 1/2" of blade, and the blades that comes with the gerber are dull as cr@p but are the Gerber and Havalon use the same blades, so no big deal, just my thoughts
chipick

Postby husky390 » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I've used one on deer and the jury is still out. I definitely don't want to change a blade while out in the field without a Leatherman handy. I don't mind using them for initial cuts and trim work but on an elk, I'd rather use my Raptor Razor.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Love my Piranta! Never chase elk without it. But solo? No. For a couple things like popping the hip joints I prefer a heavier fixed blade knife. It's a more appropriate tool for the job. I use a Buck Pathfinder. The smaller Woodsman is nice too.
Attachments
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1905.JPG (18.48 KiB) Viewed 7835 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby stealthycat » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I'm knife sharpening challenged, I ordered a Havalon yesterday. I actually cleaned a lot of the last bull I killed with a replaceable blade knife much like a havalon / box knife

I ordered the Havalon® Baracuta™ Bone-Saw Combo Pack

Why? I wanted the 5" fillet blade ... and it came with one 4-3/8" hunter blade and two 4-3/8" bone saws then I ordered extra fillet blades.
stealthycat