Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Old school folding, replacement blades, full tang

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Old school folding, replacement blades, full tang

Postby Lefty » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Red tops comment got me thinking.I like my folding Schrade knife my father in law gave me over 25 years ago.
I still have a number of fixed tang, Old Timer and Buck my dad left me

A friend has lots of knives made in China, he uses replacement blades. His comment: They cost almost nothing.

So what is on your hip or in your pack during the season.

Ooops a little black bear just came and rolled in the snow ;) cant sit in the blind and text

I wear a Gergber multitool the rest of my knife carring time
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Old school folding, replacement blades, full tang

Postby saddlesore » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

My knives are fixed tang. I have several from an old Cattleman , Jr.Smith,in Kansas.He charges $65 for knife and sheath and they haven't let me down yet.

Since I pack on mules,one of the first rules is to always have a knife available should a wreck occur and you need to start cutting lash ropes quick . You don't want to be fumbling around in your pocket or working a folder when you need the knife right now.
I carry 2-3 knives in my pack, each serves different uses. I never believed in making one knife good for all chores.
saddlesore

Postby scubohuntr » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I carry a Schrade Sharp Finger for a field dressing knife. I've had a lot of different knives over the years, but I keep coming back to that one. I also carry either a Wyoming knife or a cheap "zipper" hook. I am not a fan of folding knives for field dressing; I can never get all the gore out of the inside of the knife. I do carry a Gerber folder for general tasks, and there is a Gerber multitool (the only one I've found with pliers that can be deployed one-handed) in my pack. I generally don't carry expensive knives in the field. In states with a more enlightened auto policy, I used to carry a Protech Guardfather everywhere on a belt clip, but had to give it away when I moved to Canada for a few years. That's the only knife I have ever spent over $200 on, and I can't see doing it again. I absolutely loved the knife and it kept a really scary sharp edge, but I always stressed out over the possibility of losing it. I bought a bucketload of Pakistani Frost knives years ago (never watch the knife channel late at night when you're sleep-deprived), but they don't take or hold a very good edge so I don't really use them. They are also mostly liner locks, which I despise.

I'll be carrying the butchering setup this fall for elk hunting (at least as far as base camp): three Forschner sliming knives, an old fillet knife, a couple of Russell skinners, an old carbon steel chef knife I found at an estate sale decades ago, and a Lansky kit. I have a little ceramic Santoku that I may add to the group on a probationary basis.
scubohuntr

Postby pointysticks » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 4]

honestly..i have a couple of $300+ knives. they are wicked sharp..buuuuuuttttttt..they are not seeing the light of day anymore..well, usually.

why? my $14 carbon steel, MORA companion. that thing is insanely good. surgical sharp, strong, comfy..everything i want in a knife. even the goofy plastic sheath has grown on my..you can stuff a bloody-gut coated knife into it and be okay..it's the only sheath i own that i can clean with a soapy paper towel and a chopstick :) i love that thing and give one to everyone i hunt with. it is a GREAT knife.

i do love my folder and keep one in my pocket in the woods. i never wear belt fixed knife since it is uncomfy with a pack on..my fixed knife rides in the pack. and i carry an old BUCK 112 beater..wicked sharp! tough and feels like a fixie.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I carry three knives in my kit...

1) A Randall Esse 3 fixed blade for heavier chores, light batoning for kindling, the high carbon steel blade works great with a fire steel, takes an edge fast in the field with a diamond stick or small arkansas stone, and for the heavy chores in breaking down big critters, oh and for skinning.
2) A 6" thin blade fillet knife for deboning.
3) A Havalon Piranta for the finer caping chores, eyes, turning lips and toes (think bears/cats), etc.
1Elkhunter

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 6]

My pocket knife is a German Boker Solingen with a 2 1/2 inch main blade. I have a couple of Buck knives and a replaceable blade Havalon knife for butchering. The Buck Mini Alpha skinner is my favorite.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I quit carrying folders after a Gerber one's lock failed and the blade swiveled around and buried it self in the bone of my left index finger
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 06 23, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I had a Buck, made in USA, that would fold backwards when any pressure was put on the blade. I took it back to them and they gladly exchanged it for a new one. The new one is fine, at least so far. It seems the other one was just defective.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 25, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Ever wander why the GOOD fixed blade knives are always stored in a glass case at the big sporting goods stores while the Havolan ones are hanging on a rack along side with the cheap Chinese junk?
>>>---WW---->