Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Setting up game cameras

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Setting up game cameras

Postby Lonnie » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 1]

My first year setting up my game cameras I got a lot of blowing limbs. All of the game I got on my camera was blurry. I didn't get any naked humans playing jokes so I guess that was a positive. So what do you guys recommend for a good set up.
Lonnie

Re: Setting up game cameras

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Clear those potential blowing branches out, set cameras when always possible so click/capture from S to N or to N to S to avoid morning/evening sun blurs. Natural mineral licks, trail intersections, wet meadows, and bedding area entrance areas are always good. Saddles between steep drainages are also an option. Wallows are good if you're hunting very early in SEP. Of course where legal, summer mineral blocks and water softener pellets dug into the ground off known elk travel routes are a good place to place a cam to capture traffic ;). As always, cam images within the previous week before you hunt will reap the most rewards.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 3]

If you are going to set a camera over a game trail where the elk are just passing by, be sure it has a very fast trigger speed. Cameras at water holes and wallows can be slower.
Animals will mess with your camera, so having it in a very solid box, or high up and pointed down is going to be important. I have found my cameras knocked down and several feet from the tree it was hung in. Often you get a picture of a bear or a black blur as your last picture. Sometimes you get the eye and a small part of an elk face on your SD card.
RJ is it illegal to set out a salt block at a camera location in Idaho? The salt could be removed before hunting season. I have found salt really draws in elk in the early Summer, but by September it is useless. Other bait, like apples can be used as a feeding station if you have a good steady supply. I understand that is illegal and I don't have enough apples and time to make a go to buffet for elk for that to work anyway.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 4]

If I understand it right, salting of any kind is illegal in Idaho...another thought to add is set it up at home and make sure it is doing the job right before you take it to the hills
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lonnie » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have been playing with two of my cams here at home. I am finding the trigger on the picture is slow. So I guess I should probably use them in more open spaces. I bet that is why I was getting bad pics last year. I spent 69.00 buck a peice on them. I guess I got what I payed for. Lol. What price do you guys usually spend on a camera. I went a little cheaper because I didn't want to be so but hurt when someone stole them.
Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I also seen a post today that Idaho fish and game was thinking about out lawing game came. I guess some of the newer ones can Tex you pictures and give you alarms on your phone when a animal is at your camera. They are woried that people will use this as a hunting aid. Has anyone herd talk about this.
Lonnie

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Lonnie you paid more than I do for some of my cameras. Price in general reflects the capabilities of your trail camera. I just know the cameras produce so-so pictures, have a short range and they have a slow trigger. That does not matter at many wallows. I do not plan to use the pictures to win the coveted Wapiti Talk bumper sticker, so quality is not real important. I want to know what is coming in to water. The cheap camera will do the job. I have one very expensive camera. If a bird flies past, I have it on my card. I don't set that camera out where I fear may be ripped off. That camera is fast and it has a long range for detection. Still the pictures will not win me the grand Wapiti Talk prize. That would set me back more. You can get a quality picture for not too much money, but usually suffer in other areas, like durability.
I don't have any information on what Idaho plans to outlaw. There are cameras that will do what you are saying. I wonder how much it would help to sit in camp and monitor a bunch of cameras, then run to the water hole where I had seen a bull? Hummm?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I think the best bang for your buck going right now is a bushnell aggressor. You can find them for 110-120 if you keep an eye on ebay. Detection range, flash range, trigger speed and battery life are all great, and they take excellent pics. Face them north when possible. I like to hang mine up about 12 feet if on public land, for security purposes. Here at home i just put them up at eye level, like this cam. Notice the lack of blurring, and this doe is moving quick.
Attachments
index-1 (3).jpg
index-1 (3).jpg (88.95 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey