Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear list for a newbie. Help Outfit me!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear list for a newbie. Help Outfit me!

Postby Medstudent2019 » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So im just getting into elk hunting and one thing ive heard over and over is "get good gear!" Im a student and on a tight budget, but I figure ill get hooked the day i hear my first bugle, so I should probably get gear that will last a few seasons. I have looked at boots a little and packs a little. What are you alls top must haves for the moutains/elk hunts? Boots and a good pack seem to be high on the list so you can start there!
Medstudent2019

Re: Gear list for a newbie. Help Outfit me!

Postby Backyard » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Well Med, I think a person(s) would need a little more info first. What "type" of pack and boots are you looking for? Will you be packing in? Or base camping and returning each evening? In what type of weather or season (month) will you be hunting. I think I saw that you may be going in October. That would definitely be a different boot choice than say an early Sept. hunt.
So might I suggest doing a little editing to your question, then sit back and watch the help pour in. ;)

And be forewarned; this elk hunting thing will drive your every reason for being. Careful,,, :D
Backyard

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Oh we love to help fellow WT'ers shop. Ya, as Backyard mentioned, provide a bit more info on season, time frame, weapon(s) you'll be deploying, etc, and we'll chime in ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Medstudent2019 » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Alright, well I'm planning on September hunting with my bow in Wyoming. I will be base camping I suppose and just doing day trips to hunt. I'm not exactly sure how most guys do it. But I'll be hunting private land and should have access to park the truck/set up camp wherever. I have seen external frame packs that look pretty good and seem to be very popular. Something that could be used for a daypack and kept pretty light but sturdy enough and large enough to pack out quarters of I'm lucky enough to harvest something. I would like to get a pair of boots that are light and super comfortable for long hikes. I've owned red wings, Rockies, lacross, and a few more and have never been pleased with them when I'm running through the missouri hills and hollers chasing turkeys and I know elk will be a ton more walking and more rugged terrain. So a good lightweight, early season boot is definitely high on the list.

Now if I am not lucky enough to make it happen with my bow I do plan on going back Oct 15-30 and trying with the rifle. I assume weather can be variable around then so i immagine having some options for some cold weather gear would be smart.
Medstudent2019

Postby wawhitey » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 5]

As far as the light weight early season boots, i recently decided to try a pair of lowas. Ive been putting a mess of miles on them and theyre holding up well and my feet are comfortable with no blisters. Ill be a repeat customer.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Backyard » 06 10, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Shopping for and getting new gear; maybe the funnest part of the hunt. :D
I hunt N central Co. which I think is pretty tame compared to the steep jungles of Idaho so my Boot of choice was a toss-up between the Lowa's and Soloman GTX, I chose the later and am extremely satisfied. Best and most comfy boot I ever bought. Nice and light also(I still might try the Lowa's in the future tho). Keep in mind that getting something only for carrying will have you wearing a very stiff boot for the 98% of the time that you will be hunting, but you will be prepared to carry a heavy load when and if you do tag out. Decisions...
As far as a pack, I like the Kuiu Icon Pro series. I have the 1850 which is very comfortable, and perfect size for a day-pack with the ability to haul quarters on the meat shelf between the pack and frame. I will also couple the pack with a dry bag containing my spike camp on the meat shelf for 2-3 day pack hunts away from the truck. The frame is universal to be use with all their different pack sizes too so if you decided later that you wanted to do a longer backpack hunt you could just buy the bag(I got a sweet deal on the 5200 bag on a sale last fall), not the whole set up, and switch em out.

Good Luck!
Backyard

Postby T.B. » 06 10, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Take a look at EXO packs. Lots of quality packs that will do what your looking for.
T.B.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 8]

If I remember right, you were looking at starting your elk hunting career in the fall of 2018 so you have some time to start accumulating gear ;). Yes sir, its best for many reasons to get good gear so you're not put in a position to have to upgrade after a season or two. Boots, pack, other gear, and clothing or something in that order is what I would look at adding to your elk took kit, piece by piece. Some will argue with a recommendation to purchasing upper end clothing but IMO clothing "is" gear and will perform well and last you forever and a day. OK, boots.....I opt for a heavier built, full ankle support boot for elk hunting. Perhaps don't think just "early season vs late season" but consider one pair that may be a bit warm/bulky in early season but will perform like a champ during later season hunts (I know I can't afford two different boots.. grin). I own Zamberlans but there are many top quality boots out there that you could consider (Lowas, Kenetrek's, some of the upper end Cabelas, etc.). If you have an REI in your area, they have a rock solid return policy so they're a good place to purchase boots, try em out for a bit, and take em back if you don't like them. Pack.... I'd recommend an "all in one pack" that compresses down nicely into daypack mode but will expand out to pack a camp in if desired, and, pack out a good chunk of elk. EXO Mountain Gear packs are rock solid and have all the features I like in an elk hunting pack (and they're a Wapiti Talk sponsor)... rock solid customer service and top of the line packs. Kuiu and Kifaru also made great all in one packs but just have different features. Think layering systems for clothing... combos that can be used for milder weather and also be complimented with additional layers for more intemperate weather. I'm a Sitka and Kuiu fan but have recently started picking up some of the Pnuma clothing and really, really like it (Pnuma is also a Wapiti Talk sponsor). All right, in no particular order... here are some of the other gear items you may need (many of these items are kind of geared towards backcountry hunting but can be used just as well for base camping).

Pack contents (in pack or carried on body) - range finder, binos/spotting scope/tripod, water bladder, first aid/survival gear, chili powder, game bags, paracord, field dressing gloves, knives/saw, contractor plastic sacks, headlamps, flagging ribbon trail tacks, calls, bugle tube, peroxide blood spray, rain gear, water filtration system, small camera, xtra batteries for all, map/compass, mesh facemask, bug spray, big bore pistol for big bear country (or bear spray as some prefer), trekking poles (if you like to use them). Certainly not all of these items are carried each day.

Camp gear - Stove (Jetboil zip or something similar), tent (this can be a whole new thread, lol), sleeping bag, sleeping pad, cot if base camping, pillow, lantern(s), cook utensils (can be as minimalistic as a cup and spork but range as far as base camping cookware), lighters, food hanging kit, dromedary bag, toiletries, chow (breakfast, lunch, dinners), portable chair, base camp chairs/table, coolers, large water containers, screen gazebo for base camp war room/cook shack, portable shower setup, propane heater for gazebo, am/fm radio, axe/bucket/shovel, etc.).

Just some items to consider/think about as you head towards your first wapiti hunt. As always, I highly recommend getting some of Elknut’s products sooner than later and start learning about the stinky galoots you will pursue. It’s never too early to start learning about elk language/mannerisms, and, learning how to make the basic elk sounds using a reed and grunt tube. Let me know if you’d like me to send you my hunting checklist (it’s in Excel and calculates weights). Please start new threads on specific items that you want some of the WT’ers to chime in on. Happy shopping! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Great advice so far. I like Schnees boots. they have phenomenal customer service and have served my very well elk hunting over the last 9 years.

Here are a few places to get your gear: camofire, sierra trading post, and cabelas bargain cave.
Tigger

Postby Muzzyvselk » 06 17, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Backyard said it well. This elk hunting will occupy your waking hours and haunt you dreams.
Beginning elk hunting items are subject to personal opinion. So here's mine. Everybody's feet are different and some boots
Fit better than others. For an old railroader red wings are great for work but would be almost useless in elk mountain. I tried
Rockies, kenetrex, and danners before I found cabellas brand Mendel boots. They feel like I'm on a cloud until around mile 5.
I like a pack that can expand to serve as a day pack or bring in a weeks worth of camp. Eberlestock "just one" works well and can be found for less than 300$. If your hunting Wyoming get some bear spay or a 44mag. My tip to you is shoot your bow at every possible position you can imagine. The shot you get will almost certainly be on steep country with a small window. Enjoy yourself you are about to begin a journey that will change your life and pocketbook.
Muzzyvselk

Postby Lefty » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Im still on a budget!!

Im not a minimalist or super frugal. But look for quality multiple use items. There is quite a list of sponsors on the banners above.
Ive purchased a lot of items on clearance, end of the year, close outs. Maybe package deals.
And there are at times ludicrous deals on Craigslist, I still havent seen a :lol: :shock: Western Mountaineering Cypress bag for $100,..
Every once in a while a great honest deal does happen. I bought a $500 tent for $5.oo at DI( salvation Army type of place). The bag the tent was in was worth 50 alone.
I own camo that the pattern was sewn upside down. One time we bought Polaris bibs, the inseam must have been 44 inches. $15.00
My daughter bought a gross of misprinted arrows for the price of one arrow. Some times store labels can be a real bargain
I dont know it outlet stores are a bargain like they use to be. But Ive bought Danner, Nike and Browning that never items that never made it to market
Some times 2nds are available, or returns. And I will admit one tlme we purchased an item manufactured n china for tenth of its price I must still feel guilty.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H