Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I need to purchase a new gps.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I need to purchase a new gps.

Postby Lonnie » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I need to buy a new gps. My old one is 10 years old. I have not started shopping yet. But I was hoping you guys could point me the right way. What are you guys using these days. I would like to have something that shows contor lines. I don't want to spend a fortune. But I want something that is easy to down load my maps. My last GPS you had to be a computer nerd to figure out how to get your map down loaded.
Lonnie

Re: I need to purchase a new gps.

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Lonnie, I am kind of a regular nerd too. Definitely no Computer Nerd here. I don't do the fancy stuff on the computer either, and if it takes a PHD is electronics, I am lost before I get started. I have found the Garmin stuff simple to deal with. Mine is over 10 years old and still works well. I actually prefer the equipment that does not have all of the bells and whistles I don't use anyway. I want it simple and quick. That also means it is relatively cheap. I would get a basic Garmin.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Backyard » 06 13, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Lonnie, I'm in the same boat as Swede. I needed something that would tell me how to get back to camp, and maybe where I'm at right at the moment. And of course to be able to mark something and get back to it later.
I had an old Garmin Etrex for years, and finally upgraded to a Garmin 30X. Still simple, easy to use, fairly inexpensive, and ya don't need a PHD to download the more detailed map of your hunting area. And if it does in fact have any bells and whistles, I haven't been able to find em yet.
Works for me, but then I like my maps too.
Backyard

Postby husky390 » 07 11, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I'm pretty happy with my Garmin 64ST.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby Brendan » 07 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Personally - I've moved to using the Gaia app on my phone. Cheaper, better maps, easier to use and I bring the phone anyways for taking pictures. Just get a waterproof case. And before anyones asks - you don't need cell service, you just need to download maps and satellite imagery in advance.

I have a Garmin Montana, and it often gets left in the truck.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Grousewit » 07 12, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Garmin 64st x2 cause i save my travels an download on computer.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 12, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Bought a Garmin 62S, so far very happy with it. Use it every day for work.
Elkhntr08

Postby Old school » 07 15, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Last year I used the Rino 650 with some downloaded maps and it did pretty good. I would way prefer to use my iphone. Just have to get tech savy enough to figure out how to load maps/app where I don't need cell service to access it. Last year was comical. Mid week we went into town (an hour away) after getting back to camp late 10PM and went and got a burger. While sitting in the burger joint, I pulled up google earth and got it to the areas we were hunting and did multiple screen shots so that I could look at them when back on the mountain and out of cell service. I then used my GPS to give me my location on a not as good map and compared it to the screen shots on my phone to navigate....

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Muzzyvselk » 07 15, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I started out using a Magellan. Upgraded to a rhino. Never liked either. Year before last I downloaded onxmaps and carried both old school gps and my iPhone. Last year I felt comfy with just my phone. You can download caches while on wifi and it all saves to your phone. Just turn your phone on airplane mode so it isn't searching for a signal while in mountains. I carry a small rechargeable battery/flashlight that will fully charge phone several times. It weights 10oz. Tip from me to you. Don't forget your charging cord.
Muzzyvselk

Postby T.B. » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I'm looking to upgrade my gps as well. Is there already an existing thread that could help explain using the I-Phone for mapping purposes. If not could anyone recommend a company or app that would work for elk hunting , maps that would be accessible without cell service would be a must
T.B.

Postby Indian Summer » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I'm not a fan of having to download maps so I bought one with preloaded maps. My Garmin Montana 650T wasn't cheap but..... it's one of those essentials I don't ever plan to replace. So it's not a purchase..... it's an investment. I would HIGHLY suggest getting a color screen. WAY easier to use than black and white.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby T.B. » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Geez. After reading the internet scouting thread over on the elk hunting forum ,I realized I couldn't see the forest for the trees :D ..... plenty of the info at the top of the gear forum titled.....guess what. MAP RESOURCES. Lol
T.B.