Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What pack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What pack

Postby Taw024 » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I know there is a 100 choices (well sorta) but I am trying to get a new pack. I am 6,1 240 now trying to get to at least 215. I started 2 months ago at 271. I am trying to get in shape for a back pack hunt at about 3 to 5 miles in for a week to 10 days this would be mid September hunt. I have a tenzing 5000 that has never been used and I am have second thoughts about it as it don't fit me like I think it should. I should have got the 6000. So do u think I will be going wrong with a tensing or should I get one of better quality. I would like to try stay under 500 dollars but I will spend what it takes. Thanks for the help.
Taw024

Re: What pack

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I have a truck load of packs. Some I like, some I hate. I'm still looking for the perfect pack, looking at the EXO 3500. May not be perfect, but I thinks it's a lot closer than what I've got. Are you planning on packing enough for 10 days? Lot of food to be humping up the trail. I'd look at the K5000 if that's your plan. Good luck and good hunting.
Elkhntr08

Postby Taw024 » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I think I will come out once but can't guarantee it.
Taw024

Postby jmez » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

The 6000 would fit the same as the 5000. That is just the designation for the c/i size of the bag. The frame/suspension is where the fit comes from and would be the same on both packs. What is the fit problem? Most of the time it is an adjustment issue, especially if you haven't messed with packs much.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Taw024 » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I will have to do more looking at it I guess. It just feels like it needs to be a little longer and I have it adjusted out to xl. I have read several places that the 6000 fits a bigger guy a little better. Guess I need to try it again as I have lost 30 pounds since I last tried it.
Taw024

Postby Roosiebull » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

packs are like bows and boots, people can listen to your exact needs, and give some good starting points, but in the end, you will have to try things and figure out what works for you.

what are you looking to do with this pack? as many details as possible will help, many others will have a far better opinion than me, i'm not a pack junky, but know enough to say it's a very personal thing. size can be figured out by people here, and the list of options narrowed if you give more details of what you will be doing with this pack.
Roosiebull

Postby Taw024 » 06 17, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I plan to backcountry elk hunt with it 7 to 10 days might come out once. Prolly be 2 of us. So haul load in and hope to haul elk out.
Taw024

Postby Taw024 » 06 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

The hardest part of this for me is that I live in eastern ks. I can't even lay my hands on most the packs with out buying them. That's kinda why I was wanting info on what people like. I stated my size with the hopes of someone getting me on the right track.
Taw024

Postby Roosiebull » 06 17, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I hear you, I have the same issue.

Some of the top pack companies have programs to try their packs, might want to look at that option.
Roosiebull

Postby Taw024 » 06 18, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I am thinking I might try the exo 5500. Lots good reviews.
Taw024

Postby Backyard » 06 18, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Taw024 wrote:The hardest part of this for me is that I live in eastern ks. I can't even lay my hands on most the packs with out buying them. That's kinda why I was wanting info on what people like. I stated my size with the hopes of someone getting me on the right track.

You might want to check this out, it may give you a chance to touch and feel before you buy.
http://www.kuiu.com/blogcontents?param= ... 9wPTI5MjAx
Backyard

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 18, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Taw024 wrote:I am thinking I might try the exo 5500. Lots good reviews.

Seriously great hunting pack ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby pointysticks » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 13]

oh..lots of choices.

some forums are brand loyal..almost rabid ferocity level. i let it get to me and i bought into the program and now own a pack i think is damn near useless. great pack..but you have to put the meat inside. i already will have stuff "inside".

so i focused on packs that have a meat shelf in between the frame and bag. i just bought another pack :(

bottom line, dont follow the crowds on some of the forums.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby jmez » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 14]

There are a lot of choices and most of the packs are different. Even the higher end ones.

I differ in my opinion on trying packs. A lot of guys will tell you just to buy high end right from the start and you'll never need another pack. I disagree. My first pack was an Eberlestock Blue Widow, used it for 4 years and it served me well. I knew nothing about back packs when I bought it. I learned a lot about fit, adjustment, and more importantly, the things that were important to me in a backpack.

When I went to buy a higher end pack it made the choice and decision much easier because I actually knew what I was looking for.

Most of the pack companies will give you a 30 day return window as long as the pack comes back undamaged. If you don't like it send it back. IMO, you will get a much better fit for you if you start out with a lower end pack like Tenzing or Eberlestock so you can figure out what you actually want.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Taw024 » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Thanks for all the input guys. If I do decide to go hi end exo will get first shot. I am headed to co in late July and my daughter and I intend to check hike in spend a night and hodge to have pack by then or should I just use tenzing and see what happens?
Taw024

Postby TimeOnTarget » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Taw024 wrote:Thanks for all the input guys. If I do decide to go hi end exo will get first shot. I am headed to co in late July and my daughter and I intend to check hike in spend a night and hodge to have pack by then or should I just use tenzing and see what happens?

You'll love the EXO. I have a 5500 and it does everything from a day pack to large quantities of meat. Good Choice.
TimeOnTarget

Postby Taw024 » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Well I bit the bullet was about 2 order a exo 5500 k2 and run across what I thought was good deal on the generation 1 5500 so it is now on its way to Kansas. Hope I won't regret buying the 2014 model. It looks brand new.
Taw024

Postby Roosiebull » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 18]

congrats! cannot go wrong with EXO, and worst case, you don't like it, and you decide to sell, you get your money back from high end packs, the cheaper packs depreciate way more.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 19]

jmez wrote:There are a lot of choices and most of the packs are different. Even the higher end ones.

I differ in my opinion on trying packs. A lot of guys will tell you just to buy high end right from the start and you'll never need another pack. I disagree. My first pack was an Eberlestock Blue Widow, used it for 4 years and it served me well. I knew nothing about back packs when I bought it. I learned a lot about fit, adjustment, and more importantly, the things that were important to me in a backpack.

When I went to buy a higher end pack it made the choice and decision much easier because I actually knew what I was looking for.

Most of the pack companies will give you a 30 day return window as long as the pack comes back undamaged. If you don't like it send it back. IMO, you will get a much better fit for you if you start out with a lower end pack like Tenzing or Eberlestock so you can figure out what you actually want.

certainly some wisdom in this reply, I agree, and most of us go through that same path....I currently am, I think I am on my 4th serious hunting pack, learning more about what I like and don't from each one, I agree with you.
Roosiebull

Postby husky390 » 07 11, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Taw024 wrote:Well I bit the bullet was about 2 order a exo 5500 k2 and run across what I thought was good deal on the generation 1 5500 so it is now on its way to Kansas. Hope I won't regret buying the 2014 model. It looks brand new.

Congrats on your EXO and sorry I'm late to this party but here's some of my notes as we're the same size.

I'm going to assume you're rocking a slight keg instead of a six pack. EXO's belt is very similar to the Kifaru's and this is how I wear mine. Instead of tucking the waist belt under the belly of awesomeness, try and wear it with the buckle over your navel. This should help distribute the weight across your hips. Just be sure to disconnect the waist belt before any pictures are taken. :) Also, make sure your pants have thin belt loops and you're wearing a thin belt. These belts compress so well they can actually cause your belt loops to dig into your sides.

There are three packs that I use now with one being the most comfortable. That one is my Kifaru Duplex frame with the EMR II bag. Getting this pack to fit right took a lot of time adjusting everything and it did not happen overnight. Which is what brings me to my second favorite pack which is the Stone Glacier Sky 7400 with the Krux frame. I bought this pack because I couldn't quite get my Kifaru dialed in and wanted to see if this would be better. My only complaint with this pack is no pals webbing on the belt and due to the frame design, it can dig into your shoulder blades if you have a tendency to roll your shoulders forward. They have a new frame out but I have not seen it in person yet but I assume it resolves that issue. The third pack is the Hill People Gear Ute which is comfortable but not very big.

Good luck to you with the EXO, that is one pack I have not tried but want to. The only complaint I heard about the Gen 1's was that people did not like how the lid sat over the bag and were concerned with rain getting in. I'd recommend a rain fly for it, keep the heavy weight up high and put some miles on it. Congrats.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby lamrith » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 21]

EXO make good packs. You will love it!
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith