Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Floorless shelter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Floorless shelter

Postby Taw024 » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am thinking about getting a floorless shelter. I am looking at jimmy tarp Hudson. What are ur thoughts on flourless and who uses them. I am looking at mid to end of September time frame in Colorado. Is there any other brand and model I should be looking at.

Thanks
Taw024

Re: Floorless shelter

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Take the leap! You'll be glad you did. I can't speak to any modern floorless tent designs, but I've used a 10"x8" Granite Gear White Lightning sil nylon catenary tarp as my primary shelter during the month of September for over a dozen years now. I bring a 6x6 piece of tyvek to serve as a floor. My entire shelter, which can accommodate three hunters (in a pinch), with stakes, guylines and floor liner, is well under 3 lbs and stuffs down to the size of a 1L Nalgene bottle. I also use an ultralight bivy sack to augment the system if things get real nasty, like sideways rain. My bivy sack weighs under a pound and my 15 degree down bag weighs under 2 lbs. I often take just the bivy and bag if I'm going solo or want to stay ultralight for a few days working out of a spike camp. I just rig my rain jacket as a fly over the head of my bivy sack if things get really ugly. The older I get, the more I'm choosing to lighten my load over creature comforts. At some point in the not too distant future, I can envision a time when that pendulum will start to swing the other way! After 7-10 days of tarping or bivying, a man can start feeling pretty raw.
1Elkhunter

Postby Taw024 » 07 03, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Well I bit the bullet. I ordered a jimmy tarp Hudson. Now I just have to figure out what stove to go with.
Taw024

Postby husky390 » 07 11, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I've had a GoLite SL5 with a custom nest that I used with a Kifaru Medium Box stove. That setup worked fine for one person but too small for my liking for two people. I now have a Kifaru 4 man tipi with a nest and a Paratarp that I keep with me. And I still have the stove.

I'd recommend a titanium stove as my medium box stove weighs 5lbs and due to its size, gets lashed to the outside of my pack when hiking into camp.

Now for the sad truth. I've never had to use the stove during archery season in CO. That doesn't mean that some season I wont have to, I just haven't had a need for it in the past 5 years I've owned it. As for the floor less shelters, they're nice, as long as you're not an ant and spider magnet like me and I've found my Marmot Tungsten 2p works just as well with the rain fly vestibules in situations where a stove is not required.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B