Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Spotting scope suggestions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Spotting scope suggestions

Postby T.B. » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I'm headed to a unit that will be spotting scope friendly this September. I borrowed one from a friend I'm gonna use but I only have a full sized tripod and a very small shaky tripod. Would like some feedback from some of you sage and wise elkchasers that have utilized a spotting scope a lot. Best way to steady one? Monopod? Or any suggestion is appreciated
T.B.

Re: Spotting scope suggestions

Postby saddlesore » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Lot of different ways to go on tripods. On the scope,I heartily reccomend one with an angled eye piece. You can set them on a pack or several different solid objects and look thru.With a straight thru type, many times you can't get down close enough to see thru them. A small camera tripod 4-6" high will work with one. Stick with 15-45 X, 60 doesn't do you much good because of all the mirage.

The cheaper ones like Tasco will not give you enough Field of View and the adjustments are too crude to really do a fine adjustment. Spotting scopes are one thing that you get what you pay for
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 3]

If you are packing, I would prefer a large bright scope with a heavy, I mean good solid tripod. Ditto on the large bright scope if we are mounting it on the door window. If I am packing the equipment, then we need to compromise some. I like Saddlesore's suggestion. He is right about getting what you pay for, but sometimes that is part of the compromise.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

First scope I bought was a Trasco. I finally threw it in the trash.No sense carrying it when you can't focus on what you want to see
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Saddlesore, was that a Tasco, Trasco, or a Trashco? :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RAMMONT » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I use a monopod as a hiking stick and a rest for my spotting scope or binoculars. If necessary you can also use the monopod to rest your rifle on.
RAMMONT

Postby saddlesore » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:Saddlesore, was that a Tasco, Trasco, or a Trashco? :lol:

All of the above
saddlesore

Postby T.B. » 07 07, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the feedback. Swede I would be happy to carry the extra big scope for you :D ...by the way I would even hang a treestand for you. (Grin.... since my smiley face won't post).....I've got countless hours in a tree whitetail hunting but have never utilized it on my two week elk hunts...maybe someday I'll try it
T.B.

Postby Lefty » 07 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Ive had some cheap glass. Browning, Bushnell, Good binos were better.
I have a Nikon Field 50.Seen like a good value. Works well enough, but Certainly not Swarovski.

I have a window mount and bought a top end camera tripod at Deseret Industries for $3.00
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby baddaddy » 07 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Lefty, you can find some great deals at DI.
TB, Call Paul about the Vortex scopes.
baddaddy

Postby Indian Summer » 07 09, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I would definitely call Paul for that stuff.

To me there are two kinds of gear choices. The stuff that you know will wear out and be replaced and the items you want to last forever. My advice would be to not buy a spotting scope until you are ready to spend the money on one you'll be satisfied with forever. Buying an economy model simply means buying another one in the future which means you paid even more to get what you want.

I don't know enough by reading the above post to recommend one. But keep in mind once you own one you might start to seek out places to hunt where you can use it more. I did and my confidence and success has increased because I see more elk AND I see them long before they see me.

Id suggest a tripod over a monopod for obvious reasons..... hands free viewing. If you get to looking at far distances you don't want anything touching the scope so you can see details better.

I've been a cheapskate on my tripod. The biggest feature I see in quality models is when you move the scope..... pan left and right etc the movement is really smooth. With a cheap model the movement is stuttered. If you can live with that most half decent ones will hold a scope steady once you let go. Good luck! My Swarovski 20-60x80 is one of the most valuable elk hunting tools I own.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pointysticks » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 12]

i bought my Vortex 65mm Vipers from PAUL. best deal on the net. by far. i am okay with them since i only seem to use them in AZ for couse deer. they are pretty clear..clear enough to see antlers on a tiny deer..i am not a trophy hunter, so just seeing antlers will have me planning a stalk. i dont need to evaluate the horns.
they are nice enough for me..i put my $$$ (really $$$$$$...) into my binoculars which i use ALL THE TIME.

having said that..if i were searching today..i think i would be looking HARD at the Kowa 55mm 15-45 compact spotter. compact is good..no compact is GREAT!!

i think my 65mm are huge..i cant imagine humping a 85mm set up a hill..the 55mm must be wicked.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 13]

There are times when I pack my spotter to a vantage point and leave it there for days. Ill use it, stash it, and have it there when I come back. That 80mm objective lens kicks butt in low light early and late when you really need it. Being able to see bulls before they disappear into the timber is priceless.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro