Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting packs

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting packs

Postby Lonnie » 07 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Letts talk packs. What is everyone using. And give your reasons.

I have went to the Elderlystock V2. I like the big straps for putting game on and the side pockets for putting my spotting scope in. I also think that the price is right.

It is a light pack. With a aluminum frame. Which will not break down when you have a load on your back. I feel that when properly adjusted it fits my back we'll.
Lonnie

Re: Hunting packs

Postby Grousewit » 07 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

We use horses to get the elk out. So i don't need as big a pack as someone thats putting a camp or elk on their back. We are hunting from dawn till dark so it will have all essentials for the day plus stuff to spend the night and for emergencies. So I upgraded to a Eberlestock X1E bout 2000 ci. With option to attach more if needed. Its gonna b hard to beat the comfort of Eberlestock's packs. At the moment i got 40# in it and over 70 miles of up an down mtn preseason here with no ill effects. Best pack I ever owned. I really like the quickdraw scabbard placing rifle in middle of back vs side of pack. Protects rifle more and improves acess to it.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Roosiebull » 07 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I got a horn hunter full curl recently, too early to tell how much I like it, and plan on trying a bunch of different packs at the sportsman show this winter.

I have not been loving my kuiu pack, so it's now my fishing pack (great for that) and I know the horn hunter will be fine for this year at least.

The price was reasonable and I didn't want to drop 500 bucks on a pack I have not put on.

That being said, I may not need a different pack, so far I like the horn hunter, it will always have a function with me, and it is feature rich for the price. I may never use the big pack, the frame and day pack is perfect for most of my needs, it's easy to put a load on, and is comfortable with weight in it.

It is certainly a lot more rugged than my kuiu, and I have lost more weight than the weight difference between the 2 ;)
Roosiebull

Postby Old school » 07 15, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Badlands 2200 - Got a good deal on it on camofire and it serves double duty. Works fine for an everyday pack and also has the frame/structure to pack out an entire elk if you so choose. Or just pack out 50-60 pounds in that first trip till you get back to camp to take your meat hauler back for the rest.

They also have a no questions asked true lifetime guarantee.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Lonnie » 07 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Grousewit. I agree on the confort of the Elderlystock. I usually pack around 25 pounds with everything in the pack for full day hunts. The pack is definitely a good fit for my skinny frame body. I have the V2 I wish it had a couple of smaller pockets with zippers. It fits a quarter of a elk really good and has four big fat straps the hold the meat on the pack. I fit a half a deer in that pack last year. I definitely will not buy a pack unless it has a aluminum frame. I bought a pack with a plastic frame one year. The plastic frame broke after two years. The Gritty Bowman has some good videos on different packs and options that is worth watching.
Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » 07 15, 2017 •  [Post 6]

So what do you guys usually pack in your packs.

Me I have my spotting scope, first aid kit, rain coat, knifes, 550 cord, game bags, 2 quart bladder bag of water, water perification system, head lamp, extra batteries, bugle tube, reeds, powder puffer to check wind, and food. I also pack some glow sticks to mark game meat at night if I have to do some night packing.
Lonnie

Postby Roosiebull » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I pack light, I think too light.

This year I will include first aid, the only first aid I packed in the past was benadryl for possibly getting lit up by yellow jackets, I will do better this year.

The rest is basic, water, knives, headlamps, spare batteries for everything, GPS, game bags, thermacell, calls, and maybe some tp, and cord.

I plan on adding cheap space blankets to my inventory this year for meat, and I should pack some snacks, I have always stuck to the saying "a hungry dog hunts better "
Roosiebull

Postby chipick » 07 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I'm a badlands lover I have the diablo pack that is manly a day pack but that's all I'm able to get done after work and I'm less then 30 min. from my hunting area. I'm going to try to squeeze a long weekend out of it this year and I feel it can be done I have thought about getting a bigger pack but don't seen the need to carry more crap that I don't use already
chipick

Postby Tigger » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I use the RMEF Eberlestock. I think that is similar to the Elderlystock! :D

My only issue with it is the straps are a bit too wide across the front of the shoulders. And I do not have narrow shoulders (size 46 chest). yes, I attached the clip to pull them in but that then cuts into my pectoral muscle. It isn't bad, just a wee bit uncomfy at times. Other than that, I love it.
Tigger

Postby llewokj » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Eberlestock (or "Elderlystock") Black Widow...solid, expandable and comfortable.

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/76b72119e8e0d635552f86d95208156f.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 11]

EXO Mountain Gear 3500 is my newest, bestest friend (as of last year). Absolutely exceptional hunting pack with all the features I like. I have a couple of buddies that run the Kuiu's also and they seem to really like them. If a guy is in the market for a new elk hunting pack, I would look seriously at the EXO's first! With the type of hunting most of us do on our elk hunts, I feel that an all in one pack is almost non-negotiable. Something that compresses down nicely into a day pack (w/bladder), but, can expand out in the blink of an eye to pack out a large portion of elk on the first trip out (and/or can carry in camp on back country hunts). My days of using an uncomfortable, shoulder pinching, day pack on my hunts that limit what I can carry out with the first load, and require a pack swap out at the truck/camp to head back in for subsequent meat loads is over.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby lamrith » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I have to concur with WT1 in regards to all in one pack. Nothing compares once you get a good All-in-1 setup. Even for deer hunting you are looking at taking out only backstraps/rack with a typical daypack, vs hauling the entire animal out with a good all in 1

I am running a Kuiu, love it so far. 1st hiking with significant weight last weekend. I think ~50#. Absolutely zero shoulder fatigue after WT1 leading me up and down the Mtns for 3 days. I have both a 1850cu and 3500cu bag for it. They are modular so once you have a frame/belt you can just buy the bag itself to expand. The bag is also separateable from the frame so you can put the meat right on the frame close to body and not inside bag.

Keep your eye out, I just got a KUIU email that they are having a blowout sale July 20-24. I know they have some frames and belts in their closeout area right now as well.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 20, 2017 •  [Post 13]

lamrith wrote:I have to concur with WT1 in regards to all in one pack. Nothing compares once you get a good All-in-1 setup. Even for deer hunting you are looking at taking out only backstraps/rack with a typical daypack, vs hauling the entire animal out with a good all in 1

I am running a Kuiu, love it so far. 1st hiking with significant weight last weekend. I think ~50#. Absolutely zero shoulder fatigue after WT1 leading me up and down the Mtns for 3 days. I have both a 1850cu and 3500cu bag for it. They are modular so once you have a frame/belt you can just buy the bag itself to expand. The bag is also separateable from the frame so you can put the meat right on the frame close to body and not inside bag.

Keep your eye out, I just got a KUIU email that they are having a blowout sale July 20-24. I know they have some frames and belts in their closeout area right now as well.

I have two buddies that run the kuiu UL and love them. But they have both had issues with tearing. Maybe its the price you pay for the UL in backpacks? Hopefully you can test that theory out with a heavy pack this fall!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 20, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I started out with the Wilderness Outdoors Specialty Pack, Yukon frame/bag combo, and dont have too many complaints about it. Wish it was a little taller frame for the loadlifters to do their job and it isnt the best day pack. Trying something new this year and you can see the new pack I was running for my fishing trip. I plan on using the kifaru spike camp attached to my frame and dropping my frame off at our spike camp. Tried selling my pack with no luck and if this combo doesnt fit my needs I may have two packs for sale this fall looking to upgrade. But if its not broke, dont fix it?
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Brendan » 07 20, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Kifaru here. Fulcrum and 22 Mag.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Backyard » 07 20, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850, very light, perfect size to carry all I need to for a days hunt, is capable of packing meat between the frame and pack also. I pair it with an XL dry bag (Kuiu) on the meat shelf to haul in my spike camp also. I picked up a 3200 bag for it this past year that I might tryout next hunt, not sure I'll need it tho.
Not a single issue with anything on the pack or the accessories(belt pouches, bow sling, dry bag) either.
I'm very happy with it.
Backyard