Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Game bags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Game bags

Postby Lonnie » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am needing to buy some light weight game bags for elk quarters. I am thinking light weight. What do you guys think would be a good option.
Lonnie

Re: Game bags

Postby Roosiebull » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I just bought a set of caribou game bags the other day, I really like them, and you can get a few years of use out of them. I got the "magnum pack" comes with everything you need, plus a nice stuff bag for all of the game bags.

there are some other good options that are similar, black ovis, tag bags, kuiu.... I got the caribou because I have experience with them, and know they are good. i'm sure others will chime in with other good options and testimonials.

I think my set was 85ish bucks. I priced the kuiu bags, and it seemed it was going to be an additional 40 or 50 bucks.
Roosiebull

Postby Indian Summer » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I absolutely love my TAG Bags. Prior to buying them I would never carry game bags around every day. Been there done that and I'd rather skip the weight and go get them when I need them. But the TAG Bags are so light AND so compact that I have no problem storing them in the bottom of my daypack all day. The other two qualities that I am super impressed with is how durable they are. No more poking holes in my bags from sawed of leg bones. Last but not least those things are unbelievably easy to wash in cold water. Any stream will do until you can get to fresh water. Just saturate and wring them out and eventually you will get ALL of the blood out. They end up white and clean as new. Once I used them it was one of those things I wished I'd invested in years ago. They will last me a lifetime I'm sure.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby chipick » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I have the Alaskan guide game bags, used them for a few years now with no issues. There is two different ones, one is kind of an open mesh and the other is a tight weave. I have the tight ones now. I roll them up like a pair of pantyhose then vac pack 3 in a pack so they stay compact and hard, and stay put real nice, my buddy got some orvis bags this year so hopefully we'll get to try them out
chipick

Postby Brendan » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Big fan of TAG bags here too. I use the BOMB Bags - (Bone out Meat Bags). Specifically designed as long and narrow to keep boned out meat from clumping together in a ball.

Also - the owner (Larry Bartlett - Pristine Ventures) is awesome. Hunter / Guide in Alaska. I damaged one of mine last year, completely my fault. Went on his website to buy a replacement and couldn't find the size I needed. Before I new it - he had a replacement sitting at my doorstep all the way from AK.

Also worth noting that TAG was one of the first (if not THE first) to use this material and design. Lots of copies out there now.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Lonnie » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I have been looking for a bag that has a hook on the top of the bag so you can hook it on a good tree limb to get the meat off the ground for cooling. I hate to break the 550 cord out for tying bags up. Any one seen those bags with hooks.
Lonnie

Postby saddlesore » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I buy old sheets from Goodwill that are not thread worn. Cut in half and sew up two sides.Present ones I have been use for at least 6-8 years, using every year.Less than $10 to make 4 good bags.Plus a couple pillow cases for the back straps and tenderloins
On that rope not wanting to cut it up.Go to Walmart and buy a pack of clothes line for $2 or so. Then you have 100 feet that you can use to tie legs off to trees while working on the elk,plus have rope to tie the quarters up in trees. and never feel bad about cutting it up.

Every year while I am grocery shopping for food for hunting I pick up a new pack of clothes line and a 10x10 thin plastic painters tarp to lay meat on
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I have Alaskan Game Bags, TAGS, Caribou, and Black Ovis bags.

Tags are the best (lightest, most compact), with Caribou a very close second (just as good, just not quite as compact in the pack), The Black Ovis are good but a bit small and the Alaskan are fine just larger/heavier and single use for me.

Lots of good bags out there
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 9]

X2 here on the pillow cases $.75 at goodwill plus some chili powder and cord. Throw them away when your done. If you can find get the king pillow cases.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Thousands of dollars to kill elk and only willing to invest 1 to 10 dollars on a very important part of meat care. Wow. I have to say I never inew what a joy it could be to own high tech bags until I bought them. Very good one time investment.

Brendan... yes Larry is a great guy. I've rented gear from him and he really took care of me. If anyone is thinking about a diy moose or caribou hunt and wants a hunt plan he'd be the guy to get it from.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 11]

If a guy has the means to pack in bedroom linen, that's the way to fly for sure (inexpensive and they will perform the task at hand). If.....a guy (sorry or gal) is packing their meat bags in their pack for possibly days or potentially weeks on end, I'm a big fan of the new synthetic bags... Ultra lightweight, breathable, washable, and did I mention lightweight? I've got a set from one of our sponsors, VIAM Outdoors, that weighs 13 OZ. My 2017 elk will ride in those on their way out of the elk woods this fall. Here you go guys, if you are looking to buy some game bags... give one of our sponsors a nod and pick up a set of these... RJ

http://www.viamoutdoors.com/product-page/game-bags-sets
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lonnie » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 12]

WapitiTalk1 is that 13 oz per bag. Do you have a pic or link.
Lonnie

Postby saddlesore » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 13]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:If a guy has the means to pack in bedroom linen, that's the way to fly for sure (inexpensive and they will perform the task at hand). If.....a guy (sorry or gal) is packing their meat bags in their pack for possibly days or potentially weeks on end, I'm a big fan of the new synthetic bags... Ultra lightweight, breathable, washable, and did I mention lightweight? I've got a set from one of our sponsors, VIAM Outdoors, that weighs 13 OZ. My 2017 elk will ride in those on their way out of the elk woods this fall. Here you go guys, if you are looking to buy some game bags... give one of our sponsors a nod and pick up a set of these... RJ

Yea, the linens are bulky. You can only carry a quarter at a time on your back , so you can leave some back at base. Even if you debone, you still can't carry it all.Some of those flimsy cheese cloth ones and chile powder will work on the meat you have to hang until you bring better ones back.

I don't spend $thousands on my hunts,more like $300 as IS mentioned . All these premium little things can certainly add up to more than $10,more like a few hundred. I like to give some ideas for new guys that might not be on an unlimited budget
saddlesore

Postby Kentrek » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Here's some viam bags in action, I prefer them over the caribou style
Attachments
IMG_20170727_7142.jpg
IMG_20170727_7142.jpg (99.14 KiB) Viewed 14924 times
Kentrek

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Lonnie wrote:WapitiTalk1 is that 13 oz per bag. Do you have a pic or link.

Lonnie, you can either go to the VIAM Outdoors site via the links above to browse all of their lightweight products, or, follow this one to the game bags.

Yes, 13 OZ "total" for the hunter game bag set.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Kentrek wrote:Here's some viam bags in action, I prefer them over the caribou style

Elk, "its what's for dinner". ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Saddlesore, I have done the same as you with pillow cases and old bed sheets. I throw them away after each hunt. Do you toss them or wash and reuse? I have also used a bed sheet to place meat on while butchering. By folding the sheet over you can keep insects off your meat.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stealthycat » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I have read how well chili powder works ... i'm going to dump that in my game bags .... and let the game bags absorb as much of it as possible before I ever use them.

Can't hurt
stealthycat

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 10, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Here is a picture of four Allen game bags I vacuum sealed with a coffee cup for size comparison.
Attachments
148.JPG
148.JPG (92.87 KiB) Viewed 14814 times
>>>---WW---->

Postby snowbank » 11 30, 2017 •  [Post 20]

I keep a duffel bag full of sheets. They wash fine and get used over and over. I have lots of baling twine that I include in the duffel. In the past I have covered the quarters with sheets with canvas mannies.
snowbank

Postby pointysticks » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 21]

i like the alaskan bags.

i carry a few and hand out a few to the guys in my party. i washed them after the first use and they came out crazy clean. i did soak them for a long time. it was like CSI crime scene where i was trying to hide a body.

i got to thinking..i have never HELD a tag bag. but i like the AK bags just fine. the AK bags are multitaskers. i could stop bleeding with them. if i needed to push pressure to stop a wound, i am pushing a game bag into the cut. i bet they would make awesome bandages.

is that possible with a tag bag?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 22]

Cliff, not positive but I think the TAG bags are a synthetic blend bag designed to minimize weight in in pack and breath better than the cotton bags. Probably similar to the VIAM Outdoor bags, great lightweight breathable washable design but maybe not so good for first aid blood soaking. ?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Roosiebull » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 23]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Cliff, not positive but I think the TAG bags are a synthetic blend bag designed to minimize weight in in pack and breath better than the cotton bags. Probably similar to the VIAM Outdoor bags, great lightweight breathable washable design but maybe not so good for first aid blood soaking. ?

They are similar to caribou game bags, almost identical. I really like the viam bags, I think I will order a set for myself.

Caribou bags have been my favorite, but mine got stolen and now I have the black otis, got them on camofire, lots of good synthetic options. No way I would go back to cotton
Roosiebull

Postby jmez » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 24]

I like the TAG Bomb set as well.

I did learn an expensive lesson however. When you get them, take a sharpie and write your name on them and SAVE!!

Shot an elk a couple years ago and it was hot, I didn't want to mess with coolers and ice so I ran it to a locker and had them freeze the meat. They threw my set of bags away. I didn't tell them I wanted them back when I dropped it off. They had no idea it was a $70 set of re useable bags.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Roosiebull » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 25]

jmez wrote:I like the TAG Bomb set as well.

I did learn an expensive lesson however. When you get them, take a sharpie and write your name on them and SAVE!!

Shot an elk a couple years ago and it was hot, I didn't want to mess with coolers and ice so I ran it to a locker and had them freeze the meat. They threw my set of bags away. I didn't tell them I wanted them back when I dropped it off. They had no idea it was a $70 set of re useable bags.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I saw something similar unfold a couple years ago, not my bags or my elk, but funny
Roosiebull

Postby tentcamper92 » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Wall tent shop sell canvas game bags 29in W by 44in D for $37 buck with free shipping.
tentcamper92