Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

solo, backpack DIY ..... on few calories

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

solo, backpack DIY ..... on few calories

Postby stealthycat » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I'm curious what DIY backpacking solo in elk hunters eat. I don't want a 70# pack - and food is the weight that can be the heaviest of all my gear.

I have a jetboil as my cooking tool. I have a hard time with Mtn House meals etc - though i might take 1 or 2.

Lipton dry chicken noodle soups are light, I can eat those. Jacks links and cheese are edible. granola / power bars .... but realistically if I want to eat 2,000 or 2,500 calories a day I'm going to have some weight to carry.

My body 5'9" maybe, 165# ........ I'm not a big guy, I can go hungry to a degree.

Just curious what caloric intake ya'll have.
stealthycat

Re: solo, backpack DIY ..... on few calories

Postby Lefty » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Currently Im on a low cab diet.My wife and I camp and ATV alot. And two weeks ago I spent 5 nights in the Bridger Wilderness. I was planning on another day, but there too much snow so I came back early with extra food. When I hunt I leave camp for the whole day, but prepared to spend a less than comfortable night in the woods.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/ I like their eggs and vegetable stew blend
I did bring a couple Mt House( never ate them) and freeze dried omelettes of another brand.
Dried cranberries and freeze dried raspberries, steel cut oat/oatmeal dried milk, costco mixed nuts, coconut oil, , jerky, fish batter blend. dry energy drink, Kind nut bars , Starkist/bumblbeee tuna http://starkist.com/products/pouches.

Next trip Ill include items from http://shop.honeyville.com/ mostly powdered eggs, dried meats milk, and cheese
Think about caching a bucket of goods.
It becomes all about calories, protein and fats.

My dog ate 5 days food on the 2nd and 3rd day,.
You will lose weight.

Years back my FIL made numerous trips mostly for goats and sheep, he took 10 Mars bars

I dont know how guys back pack hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby stealthycat » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 3]

You will lose weight

I can do that.

In Altitude, I don't want to eat or drink - I have to battle those two every time so maybe it makes it easier for me to get by on less?

I'm going to prep-pack this weekend ... I like breakfast burrito's, I've heard the Mtn House scramble is edible with extra cheese and tortilla's ... might go that route
stealthycat

Postby Rangerz » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 4]

In my poor high school kid backpacking days we use to take Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Empty it out of the box into a baggie and just mix the cheese sauce with water, Tasted fine.

Jerky or protein bars for lunch. Butthole sandwiches (bagle with peanut butter and honey and Bacon).

Also, instant oatmeal and instant Cream of Wheat for breakfast.

Knorr also makes some rice or pasta dishes that you could make in your Jetboil pot. Add in a foil pack of chicken for more protein and taste.

Just a few ideas.

Might want to look on some backpacking forums for other ideas.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Brendan » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 5]

When I'm Elk Hunting, I eat 4000 or more calories per day (That's 2lbs of food/day). One year - I was losing almost a pound a day at that intake... I am 5'11" 180lb right now.

I do a mixture of things, but you can get single serve packets of olive oil that you can add to food to up your calorie intake as needed.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 6]

SC, like it or not you need pretty big cals/carbs on a backcountry hunt. MH and Backpackers Pantry, and heathers choice (gag) meals are extremely lightweight and serve their purpose. That said, I have a new sponsor coming on board that just maybe, will make you smile. Much healthier for you and if I'm guessing correctly, much easier on the palate. Coming soon, they're in production now and will be advertising here soon.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby BobcatJerry » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 7]

We pack in all that we eat. We only go in a mile or two. I've gone Mountain House Pro paks in the past for dinners They weigh about 4 ounces and are vacuum shrunk for space . Trying some new meals from Paleo Meals to go this year, they were reviewed highly. I think MH has cut and chopped their ingredients, less cheese and flavor than they did a few years ago. I low carb diet at home and my favorite thing is to take whole oats and I vacuum seal them in small bags, with my Food Saver vacuum sealer. I make several test batches to get the sweetness right. I add different ingredients changing it up for each day. Raisins, cinnamon, dates, dried cherries, walnuts, Dried blue berries, dried bananas, pecans, or anything else in multiple combinations and a big spoon of dark brown sugar. I measure the batch up which is about 1/3 cup of oats and make each day different. Put them in the food saver bags, and put 2 coffee tea bags in the pouch making sure to keep the coffee away from the sugar and dried fruits as when you vacuum seal it they stick to the packages. Seal them up and they shrink down to nothing. About 3/4" thick at the most. Weight is what 1/3 cup of oats and some dried fruit weighs. It's cheap, full of healthy carbs. Best of all it taste great. Beats the hell out of instant cereals and instant eggs. My hunting buddies request that make their breakfast for them each year. Wake up, boil 2 cups of water on my camp stove, cut the vacuum bag open on top, massage the oats a bit, use a cup of boiling water for the two bag strong coffee, use what I need to hydrate the oats and fruit wait 5 minutes. Any extra water I use to wash my spoon. Dishes are done, I'm feed and happy, I take the bag and burn or bury it away from camp, so Yogi doesn't come looking for it. So I have about 12 ounces in breakfast and dinner.

To keep the weight down, we plan this year hunting back to the truck mid week, so we only carry in half at a time. Plus there may be a snack or two in the truck...also liquid beverages are heavy, have to have a snort of what I call "liquid air mattress" each night.

Lunch is Jerky, granola bars, and chocolate. I put each days rations in a gallon zip lock bag, and each morning, drop the bear bag down, and grab one bag and I'm set for the day. I take the MH out and put it back in the bear bag so I don't have to carry it all day. Maybe 1.2 lbs a day for food. I'm 6'3" and hopefully 245# by the time I go this year, never hungry, and when the trip is done, it's the best I feel all year long.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Excellent post Jerry, packed full of top shelf advice, and, you happened to mention our newest inbound sponsor. Paleo Meals to go will be on board soon! Looking forward to trying some of their products.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Brendan » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:MH and Backpackers Pantry, and heathers choice (gag) meals

I personally like Heather's Choice a LOT better than MH. Much healthier, but I like the taste - then again, I'm not big on bland foods, I like spice, etc. You do need to let them re-hydrate longer, and they are more expensive.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby stealthycat » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I think my plan is same - 5 days in max, then hike out to truck to re-supply.

I won't get anywhere near 4,000 calories I imagine. Every "body" is different, mine can run on low fuel for several days, water too. I can literally go all day and not drink a drop.

Healthy? Smart? No .... but I can do it, whereas some people crash and burn without water/food. I DID crash and burn once .... remember that all too well.

I'll keep watch on sponsor foods
stealthycat

Postby stealthycat » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I tried the Mtn House breakfast scramble this mornin ..... with tortilla's and extra cheese I can eat that.
stealthycat

Postby archery bum » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Do the coffee tea bags and butt hole bagels also. I do honey and oats and cliff bars for breakfeast. Make my own jerky and dehydrate cherries,blueberries,blackberries and raspberries. Then mix them together and add almonds. Makes a good trail mix. Going to take salami this year and the Idaho instant potatoes. Add boiling water to potatoes and add chunks of salami and the oscar myer per cooked bacon (which I already have for bagels). Had some honey leak out of the bottle one year. So bought some nalgene 8oz bottles this year. Said they are leak proof. Put some water in them and let them sit in sink upside down(no leak). Bought 3 of them, put peanut butter and honey in two of them and mix up some spices and put in third. If food taste a little bland I just spice it up. First this year, I bought Mountain Ops Ignite trail packs supplement. Replenishes my body with carbohydrates and other stuff my body needs. Also gives me an extra boost when I'm dragging ass. They claim no crash. Just ordered so haven't tried any yet, a little pricey.

Bum
archery bum

First Name: archery
Last Name: bum

Postby stealthycat » 07 23, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I try not to skimp on coffee - I have a JetBoil and the $10.99 coffee press and it makes a dang nice coffee with Starbucks breakfast roast.

I have a package of " fully loaded pepperred bacon & cheddar " Idahoan potatoes I'm going to demo and see if they're edible ... 400 calories 80 grams of carbs without adding anything
stealthycat

Postby Lefty » 07 23, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Keep a good supply of real food at the truck.
Likely you will crave fruit, maybe even veggies.
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 15]

If you are an oat meal eater, consider steel cut oatmeal. It will stay with you longer than the instant. I do 1/4 cup of steel cut, a pack of the instant, a little more than a cup of water. The instant gives it some flavor. It takes a little longer to cook ,but is worth it

I took some Mountain House dinners with me on a trip last summer. One dinner was not enough and two was a little bit too much and I'm a little guy, 5'-5", 140 pounds. I can't imagine a 6' guy living on them.Taste wasn't all that great either
saddlesore

Postby stealthycat » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I can eat oatmeal and have several of the oatmeal cups.

So I tried the Idaoan potatoes - the loaded baked potatoe ones. It was ok - if i guy added a pat of butter and some meat I can see it being an easy 300-400 calorie meal. The bigger packaged are more than I can eat.

about settled on jack's links and cheddar, a couple of oatmeal cups, cup of soups packs, mtn house breakfast scramble and add some cheese and use tortillas, granola bars, an idahoan potatoe meal or two .... pretty light and I can survive on it
stealthycat

Postby poisonarrow » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Somebody, everybody will probably faint at this.

My mom in law used to store pork in crocks all winter in the cellar, no refrigeration. She would fry the pork and pour fat over it. Look it up.

Last year I fried up a bunch of pork steaks in bacon fat. The bacon fat has sodium nitrite to kill bacteria. While it was hot I put it in vacuum bags and poured the fat over the meat. Then sealed it and put it in the freezer. I vacuum packed some corn tortillas and also froze those.

When I went hunting I took one package of meat and on package of tortillas for every evening meal. Put a small skillet, I use a titanium plate on the stove and fry the meat. After that heat some of the tortillas in the grease. Use two tortillas, one fried and one heated. Wrap the dry one around the fried one to keep your hands cleaner. Put the fried meat in the tortillas and consume. It is the most satisfying meal I have ever had in the mountains. It only take a few minutes. You only have to heat the meat up , it is already cooked.

It is like yummy pemmican. I can't wait to eat some more. Actually I pull some pork out of the freezer and eat it at home when I am in a hurry and the wife isn't around.
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Sounds really good PA ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby stealthycat » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 19]

doesn't sound bad at all

I'd think it would attract the heck out of bears too :D
stealthycat

Postby Grousewit » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Tried bobcatjerrys mix of 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup mini dried mixed fruit, an tbl spoon brown sugar. Added 4oz. Boiling water, stirred an let hydrate for a couple minutes.
Delicious! !! Will b vacuum sealing for this fall. Curb the sugar urge!
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby poisonarrow » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 21]

The problem I have had at the elevations I hunt. The M H or anything that has to rehydrate takes forever. I end up eating crun hy watery food yuk.
poisonarrow

Postby stealthycat » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 22]

poisonarrow - does the breakfast scramble take time to rehydrate too ?
stealthycat

Postby poisonarrow » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 23]

I am not sure on that. I hunt at tree line, 11,500' plus so everything takes longer.
poisonarrow

Postby Bronc » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 24]

All the MH meals including the breakfast skillet seem to take a lot longer to cook than the directions state. I usually let them cook for 12 to 15 minutes. The good thing is you don't seem to be able to over cook them. I've also found that if I cook them at home and they taste "OK" , at 11,000 ft. they taste a hell of lot better.
Bronc

Postby saddlesore » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 25]

poisonarrow wrote:Somebody, everybody will probably faint at this.

My mom in law used to store pork in crocks all winter in the cellar, no refrigeration. She would fry the pork and pour fat over it. Look it up.

Total believer here PoisonArrow. When I was young the family would butcher hogs in the fall and make all salami. It was stored in lard, in 5 gallon crocks,uncooked. We would take it out of the lard, wipe it off and boil it. I ate a lot of it and never got sick.

I have to have meat when I'm out, canned , jerky or whatever.
saddlesore

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 26]

I only carry a small portion of food now. I dont have the appetite to eat as many calories as I need. Mountain house, heathers choice (only like one kind), jerky, nuts and dried fruit and add a few others bars in there. I lose quite a bit of weight but carrying that much food is just too much for me. I would venture to guess im around 2000 calorie a day diet. Add in some grouse and im set, saving on the food I brought in. Ill shoot a grouse a day if I get the chance. I started bringing in instant coffee. Big fan of some coffee before the evening hunt. I tried bringing oatmeal and other things for breakfast but my go to now is a bottle of emergenc and a 5 hour energy. Dont waste any time and I dont feel bogged down. Ive never been a big breakfast guy. I gorge myself mid day when nothing is going on. Nap, eat, nap and eat, have some coffee before the evening hunt.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Lefty » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 27]

Im telling you you gotta have calories to keep going hard. You will get weak after a couple days. Eat like a professional athlete. only the freeze dried version

When I ran trap lines I was consuming 6000 calories a day and loosing weight and 1-2 gallons of water and including soda and milk. If you want to be efficient hunting your body cant be burning muscle.
Walk up and down some of the food isles in the grocery store. Lots of pasta type box. Go to the emergency food or food storage section. Bring powdered milk for your coffee, take along a good daily vitamin and mineral supplement. Repackage items. Boxes dinners, I packaged mixed nuts in daily servings, different dried fruits, dry soup mixes, yeah and take some salted butter.
The problem I have had at the elevations I hunt. The M H or anything that has to rehydrate takes forever. I end up eating crun hy watery food yuk.
, All I can do is chuckle, I think we have all been there. I know when your hungry it can be ought to give food resting time,This is where depending on the "dinner" added butter is a wonderful thing
Lefty

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Not eating will certainly take its toll on you. Im strictly talking about backpacking. I have some tasty treats at the truck when I make it back to it. Hopefully because we are packing an elk out. But sometimes because of weather. Deer brats and chili is my favorite meal when its pouring rain or dumping snow.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby BobcatJerry » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 29]

I always take a little crushed red pepper seed along, Bird Seed like in the pizza shops, and put a pinch in the Mountain house meals. Gives it an extra Kick. MH really changed about 2 years ago. I loved the lasagna meal, and it had so much cheese it would stick to your spoon and was a pain to clean but it was tasty. Then I notice the cheese no longer clung to your spoon, because there wasn't very much cheese in it. Dropped my rating from a 9 to a 6. Looking forward to trying the newer brands.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 30]

BobcatJerry wrote:I always take a little crushed red pepper seed along, Bird Seed like in the pizza shops, and put a pinch in the Mountain house meals. Gives it an extra Kick. MH really changed about 2 years ago. I loved the lasagna meal, and it had so much cheese it would stick to your spoon and was a pain to clean but it was tasty. Then I notice the cheese no longer clung to your spoon, because there wasn't very much cheese in it. Dropped my rating from a 9 to a 6. Looking forward to trying the newer brands.

The Lasagna MH has decent flavor but it is an absolute beast and may serve mankind better as some form of super adhesive for the NASA ;). It seems like it always takes a welding torch to get the residual meal off my spork when I eat that stuff. Additives; I like to take a bottle of Cholula Chipoltle for dashing on my FD meals.. good stuff.
WapitiTalk1

Postby VT Sasquatch » 10 24, 2017 •  [Post 31]

For backpack hunting I bring instant coffee and some kind of granola bars for breakfast. During the day I eat combinations of calorie dense snacks like trail mix, dried fruit, peanut M&Ms, hard candy, etc. I also like to bring beef jerky for some added protein. For dinner, I usually eat Mountain House or some other dried pasta based food.

If I have a base camp, I obviously don't eat the same way.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Backyard » 10 25, 2017 •  [Post 32]

This is a repost of one I posted on another thread a while ago, but it fits here also;
I have also noticed that because of our (everyone) strive for quick and easy everything, especially meals, the grocery stores are teaming with quick-just-add-water-stir meals, entree's, and side dishes that are usually packed with all the normally bad (carbs), but good for high mountain bow-hiking;
Instant potatoes (add dehydrated venison, makes a whole meal), all kinds of rice mixes, soups, tortillas, bars, dehydrated peanut-butter even. Just to name a few.
Take a trip to the store with the wife next time and just look, keeping an open mind about what would work for both weight and nutrition for a hunt. You'd be surprised how much there is, and it's far cheaper than most any food that is packaged and sold as "backpacking" food, better tasting too.
I've been doing this for years for both hunting and wilderness canoe trips, and I see more and more options each time I go.
And don't count out the Food Co-op type stores, all kinds of dried foods there.
For breakfast I bring Starbucks Via instant coffee and instant oatmeal.
Protein bars (Cliff), jerky, dried apples, and trailmix (I like the Kars nuts Sweet n Salty mix) keep me going during the day with some tortillas and peanut butter to boot.

As far as the bag meal, here's what I do;
I made a cooking coozy out of a windshield reflector the size of a quart bag to fit in, boil my water, pour it in my prepackaged meal that I've slid into the coozy, wait about ten minutes, and eat. the only waste to pack out is a zip-loc bag
I looked up how to make the coozy for about $5 if you had to by the materials. made a couple.
Backyard