Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Jetboil

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Jetboil

Postby MidMoElkNut » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am looking for a backpack stove or something smaller for elk hunting. Will be mainly using it for MH meals ect.
I'm looking at the jetboil but I'm not sure which one to go with?

Any other things I may need to go with it and any pointers would be great as I normally have a base camp at the truck with a bigger stove so this will be new to me this year.

I'm not stuck on jetboils but that is what I will probably get unless someone can convince me otherwise.
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Re: Jetboil

Postby Indian Summer » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Jetboil is the Caddilac. Just buy it! So fuel efficient because it boils water super fast that you only need to take one small canister. You'll appreciate how quick it is too when you can barely stay awake long enough to eat.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I have a Jetboil Zip. Works like a charm and hasn't failed on me yet. Great little stove.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby MidMoElkNut » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer
Which jetboil do u recommend any certain one?
Is there anything else besides fuel a person would need?
MidMoElkNut

Postby Grousewit » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Got a Jetboil Zip summer of 2014. Went with me to NM tent camping at 8000' for 40 days. Just used out on trapline for lunch or if I would have to spend night away from camp(old polaris 4wheeler never broke down just got cactus flats but had plug kit and air pump). Worked great and is lightweight .(Cooked at camp on propane stove breakfast an dinner). Used Mountain House but I'm gonna experiment with Bobcatjerrys formula to get away from the salt this yr.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Lefty » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I have a zip.
I dont like cooking foods in the Jetboil. It works fantastic for boiling water. Easy and fast. A royal pain to clean if you cook in it.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby MidMoElkNut » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for the info guys!

Lefty
I don't really plan on cooking in it, I'll probably just boil water to add to the meals.
MidMoElkNut

Postby Brendan » 07 22, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I prefer MSR and Primus to Jetboil. Some of the Jetboils aren't rated to melt snow (if you ever need it) and there are stories of them failing. Although, I've only heard stories. everyone I know who uses one loves it.

My personal stove is the Primus ETA spider, plus I have a Soto Windmaster and a small titanium pot when I want to go really light. If I was looking for something comparable to Jetboil in design and bombproof - I'd look at the MSR Reactor.

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/reactor-stove-systems-10

Here's the Primus that I have:

https://primus.us/products/eta-spider-stove-set
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 9]

No doubt, Jetboil is a good and fast stove. But ask any serious backpacker (I'm talking about the guys that do thru walks on the AT ) and they all laugh at the thought of packing a Jetboil.
>>>---WW---->

Postby chipick » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 10]

The MSR windburner is like the jetboil but is raded for use in 20 mph winds the jet is not good if you are in windy conditions but the msr is around $140
chipick

Postby CurlyTail » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 11]

If you like a great Value

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4FY8YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one of these, and it is a sweet little stove. Quality materials and build, with built in sparker that actually works. Incredibly compact. 9.99
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby pointysticks » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 12]

the jetboil is okay..that's what i use, but i admit i dont love it.

i hate how the pot locks in with those tabs. i just want it to lift off. stability sucks anyways...wrestling with a hot pot is a risk anyway..i just want to pick it up off the stove and pour. i dont love how it is a one hit wonder. i'm trying to get away from backpack food..some cooking options would be great.

i love that spider, but i just cant justify it yet..when the Jetboil gets the boiling done..
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby saddlesore » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I hunted with guys that had the jet boil. I was eating with food cooked on my Pocket Rocket while they were still fussing with the jet boils putting it together.

If you only want to heat water, get a Pocket Rocket, a small cannister, a 16 ounce metal cup, as the Pocket Rocket will fit in it along with some coffee singles,hot chocolate or? A lot smaller package.

I just got back from 4 days in the mountains. Since I was packing my mule,I had the Pocket Rocket and a single burner propane stove that screws on top of 1# bottle. The Pocket Rocket worked as well as the propane stove. On the two,I cooked scrambled eggs, sausage, and has browns for 3 people.

I don't like the MSR liquid fuel stoves because if you are not careful as to how you turned them off,they clog up and you have to tear them apart to clean them up ( at least mine you do)
saddlesore

Postby stealthycat » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 14]

love my jetboil and french press attachment
stealthycat

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I've only had a Jetboil. It works so lve not had a reason to change. When it quits, I'll look for something else/better.
Elkhntr08

Postby llewokj » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I have a jetboil Sumo. The problem is that the ignitor filament broke and there is no way to replace it with buying the entire burner. I light it now manually with a fireplace lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby Dorobuta » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I use a minimalist duo and a dragonfly stove. The only things I added to my kit is a titanium spork, a metal cup I can heat up, and a french press for coffee. I have no complaints, and everything except the one cup and the french press fits inside the cook set (minimalist duo), including the fuel canister.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby jmez » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I have a JetBoil, I think it is the Sol model? Have had it for 5-6 years and no issues with it. Both of my hunting partners have them as well, they have both switched from a Pocket Rocket, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I don't take my cup off to pour the water out. I simply pick the whole thing up, cannister and all to pour the water. Mine stays put together in spike camp but honestly, it takes about 30 seconds maximum to set the thing up. It will boil 2 cups of water in about 90 seconds.

I never looked to see if mine was rated to melt snow, but I melted a bunch of it this year without issue. I didn't know something had to be rated to melt snow?

They pack together nicely for transport. Take up less room that just a stove and a pot.

I haven't had problems with my ignitor and if buying one I wouldn't buy a model that didn't have it. Those are a pain as you have to light them and then screw the cup on.

With any model of brand of these stoves, make sure you buy the all season fuel. The regular fuel is much less efficient when it is cold outside.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby vertical limit » 10 10, 2017 •  [Post 19]

I have a Jetboil Flash. It works great for what it is. If I'm at camp boiling a small amount of water for coffee for just me or for a MH meal, I use the Jetboil. If I'm packing in, I take my MSR stove. Much smaller, and as quoted, is rated for wind and does a better job of melting snow. Granted, with the MSR I have to carry a small pot, but just like the Jetboil, with the MSR stove and small pot everything fits inside the small pot for packing purposes.
vertical limit

Postby Tim in Wa. » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Those jet boils just look to fragile to me,lots of plastic.I dont like the fact that I can't melt snow or that the fabric on the pot prevents me from using over a fire if I need to without wrecking it.The M S R windburner looks more robust.
Tim in Wa.

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Ottersen

Postby olympushunt » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Another vote here for the MSR Pocket Rocket. That thing is amazing. I also have the MSR Whisperlite but the Pocket Rocket is my favorite.
olympushunt

Postby 1Elkhunter » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 22]

I’ve got an older (and now discontinued) Jetboil Sol Ti and it’s awesome. I’ve used it extensively for approx. 10 years and it’s never failed me... and I don’t baby my gear. My mSR pocket rocket is now my back up. I use an older MSR whisperlite liquid fuel stove in very cold temps... but it’s a PITA.
1Elkhunter

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Regardless of how good or fast they work, it's just hard to justify around $100 bucks to boil water! :shock:
>>>---WW---->

Postby duckdog28 » 02 21, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Get the coleman peak 1 stove for 14.99 and you'll never regret it. I've got an aluminum pot that my fuel canister fits inside of and it all costs under 30 bucks. Super light and compact.

https://jet.com/product/detail/e4eb136b ... J1EALw_wcB
duckdog28

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Walter

Postby Lefty » 02 21, 2018 •  [Post 25]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Regardless of how good or fast they work, it's just hard to justify around $100 bucks to boil water! :shock:

I was using a $12.00propane burner.
Ive been the Lucky recipient of my daughters good luck in work raffles and drawings including a jet boil, and Yeti cooler. While we didnt spend money for another stove we did purchase an expensive smaller cooler.
Lefty

Postby RandyVertix » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Sorry I know this is an older thread but just wondering how many fuel canisters I should plan to bring with me for an 8-day backpacking elk trip in Colorado. I plan to eat those Mountain House freeze dried meals 3x per day. Those fuel canisters look pretty small so I was thinking I should bring at least 3 of them just to be safe.
RandyVertix

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 27]

RandyVertix wrote:Sorry I know this is an older thread but just wondering how many fuel canisters I should plan to bring with me for an 8-day backpacking elk trip in Colorado. I plan to eat those Mountain House freeze dried meals 3x per day. Those fuel canisters look pretty small so I was thinking I should bring at least 3 of them just to be safe.

Howdy Randy, welcome to the forum! The fuel cannisters come in three different sizes (110g/4OZ, 230G/8OZ, and the big one 450g/16OZ). When just using them for boiling water (freeze dried chow, morning coffee), they actually last a long time. Now, if you're using them for say, fueling one of the tiny primus lanterns, that's a whole different story. Remember also that when using your Jetboil (or other similar cooker), it takes longer to boil water at higher elevations. All that said, one of the 8OZ containers should probably be enough for an 8 day, 2-3 boils per day, backpacking hunting trip. I personally would pack one 8OZ and one of the small 4 OZ on your trip, just in case. Nobody likes to run out of water boiling ability and have to choke down those freeze dried meals dry ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 28]

Welcome to the forum Randy. Feel free to join in the conversations. I won't add to what WapitiTalk1 said about the fuel canisters as he is the character I would ask about them if I planned an 8 day pack in hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 29]

Glad you brought this forward

I’ve been a on a few back packing trips with boy scouts since this thread.
What I discovered every scout using different stoves differently
Many of the scouts have ended up with a $12 stove
Lighter weight and very effective

Different users use different amounts of fuel on the same stove
At least with the boys I’ve gone with it seemed more common to loose gas before empting

I carried a jet boil , for packing they are too much well more than needed
in my opinion
Three leaders were going to take 20 boys we made a few practice runs tasting different meals getting to know there different stoves and foods were an incredible learning curve
Some guys backed out on the Mt house type meals

Anyway make practice runs on food and stoves
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 07 03, 2020 •  [Post 30]

It is not the functioning of the Jet Boil , but all the room it takes up in the pack .A little Pocket Roaket will fit in a 16 ounce metal cup along with a lighter and a few coffee singles and will heat enough water in the cup for nay dry food meal. The small canisters are great two
saddlesore