Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trekking poles?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trekking poles?

Postby MidMoElkNut » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 1]

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions on trekking poles?

I have never used one so I have no idea.
I'll be bow hunting and I'm curious if they are worth have or packing with you?
If so what kind or brand?

Thanks Dave
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Re: Trekking poles?

Postby Backyard » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I use em to pack in and out of the area that I hunt, about two miles in. Then I collapse them and put each one upright in each of the side pockets of my pack strapping the tops with one of the pack compression straps. Never know they're there. But I have em for when and if I'm going to be hauling a heavy load. They really help a lot when carrying loads, especially up or downhill. If you're thinking about em, I suggest using them during your pack training before going.
Ounce counters will use them as tent or tarp poles also.

Not sure what brand mine are as I've wrapped mine with camo tape. But spend a little bit on em, and don't get the shock absorbing type as they are pretty heavy. I also suggest the cork grips, they work better as the hands get sweaty.
Backyard

Postby wawhitey » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Backyard wrote:I use em to pack in and out of the area that I hunt, about two miles in. Then I collapse them and put each one upright in each of the side pockets of my pack strapping the tops with one of the pack compression straps. Never know they're there. But I have em for when and if I'm going to be hauling a heavy load. They really help a lot when carrying loads, especially up or downhill. If you're thinking about em, I suggest using them during your pack training before going.
Ounce counters will use them as tent or tarp poles also.

Not sure what brand mine are as I've wrapped mine with camo tape. But spend a little bit on em, and don't get the shock absorbing type as they are pretty heavy. I also suggest the cork grips, they work better as the hands get sweaty.

I think that post about summed it all up
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I saw a fellow using them crossing a pretty good stream this past week. He took his boots off, rolled up his pants and crossed barefoot..The water in the stream was probably snow a half hour before that. Darn cold. I'm sure he would have fallen on his butt if he didn't have them
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I'd noticed that they are recommended by a lot of guys, so I bought a set. Haven't used them in the mountains yet so, but on my workout walks in the hills around here they're great. Based on limited use, I think they'll be worth packing. I did buy the cork handles.
Elkhntr08

Postby MidMoElkNut » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Thanks guys!

I would like to get some but they are expensive...I didn't think they would be that expensive at least for decent ones.
I know there are some cheaper ones, would they still be worth it?
I've heard not to get the twist lock?
Also without trying some first how long of ones does a person need?
I'm 6'6" so I'm a pretty big guy!
MidMoElkNut

Postby saddlesore » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 7]

MidMoElkNut wrote:Thanks guys!

I would like to get some but they are expensive...I didn't think they would be that expensive at least for decent ones.
I know there are some cheaper ones, would they still be worth it?
I've heard not to get the twist lock?
Also without trying some first how long of ones does a person need?
I'm 6'6" so I'm a pretty big guy!

Might try homemade ones first. Cut a nice straight aspen or? small tree.(About 3/4 -1" diameter)Skin the bark. pilot drill out one end and screw 1/4 " lag screw into it leaving about 1"protruding.Then cut off the head of the lag screw and sharpen it to a point. Make it long enough so you can cut it to length that suits you.If you want a strap, drill thru the opposite end and put a piece of leather thong in it. We use to call them walking sticks ,before yuppies invented trekking poles.Cost about $1.50.They won't collapse, but you will find out what you need and how good they work for you.I use one everyday on my 1.75 mile walk around the neighborhood.
We use to do the same with shooting sticks before the outcome of the $40 ones.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 8]

they sell a shockingly inexpensive set of CARBON trek poles at Costco.

i rely on mine, so i went with solid mid pack alum ones from REI. when i'm tired, really lay into them. i cant have the joints slip ever.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Rangerz » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Used a cut off broom handle when I was younger. Put a bicycle grip on the top and sharpened the tip. Worked great for many years.

You would probably need 130 cms. With lever locks you can fine tune the length to what works best.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Grousewit » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 10]

At 6'6" u will need around 4 ft ones. I had a set of cross country skis that I dont use any more. Now I have 2 trekking poles that r lightweight an work just fine.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Backyard » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 11]

FWIW mine are twist lock, I've had no problems with em. I've also heard "don't get twist lock type". I like to live on the edge I guess. But they're cheaper. Just don't get solid poles like ski poles, you can't hunt with them sticking up 3 ft out of your pack. As far as price, I think I shelled out about $65.00 on sale on the internet.
Pretty reasonable I think after using em. I won't go without anymore.
Try stopping at an outdoor store of some type and try some out. Find out what kind works for you, go home, Google em and buy em for half the price. Whats the saying? Buy once, cry once?

Good Luck
Backyard

Postby Brendan » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 12]

These get good reviews, also available at Costco. Unsure on sizes for a big dude though.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cascade-Mounta ... redirect=1
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Indian Summer » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Mine are Eastons. Got a screaming deal on Camofire. On the downhill they can really save your knees while stabilizing you. On the uphill you'd be surprised at the benefit of using your arms as "extra legs" to get you up there.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby MidMoElkNut » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 14]

What is better the aluminum or carbon fiber?
Also twist lock vs quick lock?
Or is it all personal preference?

Thanks guys!
MidMoElkNut

Postby Grousewit » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Backyard brought up a good point on my ski poles about them not being collapsible. My pack has a gun scabbard so when gun comes out poles go in. Being my first yr doing this I am in calf stage. I have found out already how helpful that pole is going up or coming down the mtn with 40# on yr back when u get off balance!!!!
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I got a new set of Black Diamond Alpine Ergo Cork on eBay for about $90. Look around you can find a nice set cheap.
Elkhntr08

Postby MidMoElkNut » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I'm looking at the ones like Brendan posted a link on here.... just not sure if aluminum or carbon fiber or which locking mechanism to go with
They are around 30-40$
MidMoElkNut

Postby jmez » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 18]

My opinion on trekking poles. The cheap ones hold up just as well as the expensive ones. I think this is one piece of gear you don't need to spend much money on. A couple examples, on various forums every time the topic comes up a lot of guys have bought a $30 set at Costco and been using them for years with no issues. I bought an expensive set of Black Diamonds with cork handles, they are nice poles. I have four little boys, 7, 5, 4, and 4. They immediately wanted to play with them, I watched in horror of course the things they were doing to them and promptly took them away. Swords, hammers, axe, obstacles to ride over on bicycles, etc etc etc.

Went to Wal Mart and bought two sets of Ozark Trail brand poles for $19 a set and gave them to them. As I was looking them over I thought the only difference here is the paint and logo. They have proceeded to use the ones I bought for them as expected. They still work fine and they have yet to break them. I have absolutely no doubt, short of getting them wedged in a rock and falling that they won't fail. My expensive ones would fail in that scenario.

I would recommend the flick or snap lock. The twist locks don't work very well and those will loosen with time and quit working.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Indian Summer » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Ditto on the snap locks. The twist locks slip and the poles shrink as you go no matter how hard you twist them to lock them down. My snap locks are adjustable so you can really crank them down.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby CurlyTail » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 20]

I would recommend trekking poles at all times for guys over say 45. Young guys I would recommend only for packing meat. If you are backpack hunting or bivy hunting they would be helpful and you might be able to use them instead of poles for your shelter if you plan properly

I agree with jmez - poles are poles. No need to spend a bunch of money for cork grips, spring loaded shok absorbers, and fancy rubber tips. Go cheap and replace if you bust them, or more likely leave them laying in the woods somewhere

I really appreciate poles when off trail on steep terrain with a load.

In my mid 50's and my brother and I have yet to fall packing meat using poles. Before poles, one of us would stumble, get off balance, and go down at least once during a tough pack out. Eventually, a guy might get injured - and now you have a real adventure on your hands.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby tvbrewster » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Sierra trading Post has good deals on them
tvbrewster