Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is the Best Bugle Grunt Tube on the Market?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is the Best Bugle Grunt Tube on the Market?

Postby elkaholicid » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I'm running this over on Facebook and thought I would post it here as well so all of you can get in on the fun. The best way to listen is either with stereo speakers on your computer or using headphones.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Re: What is the Best Bugle Grunt Tube on the Market?

Postby archery bum » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 2]

archery bum

First Name: archery
Last Name: bum

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I don't know Michael, you make all of them sound excellent!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkaholicid » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 4]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:I don't know Michael, you make all of them sound excellent!

Thank you, sir.

I posted the tip about using headphones so that people can hear the subtle differences in the tubes. It's mainly on the bottom end which adds realism the calling we are all trying to mimic. When that bull gets close, he's used to hearing those kinds of things from other bulls so we need to do our best to match.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby Lonnie » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I don't know how many of you guys have ever tried a lot of different tubes. But this is a great example of the different sounds. Don't be afraid to try different tubes to see which one works best for your calling style.
Lonnie

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 6]

All sounded great! No losers out of those 6 bugles! The caller is the meat & potatoes, you showed no matter the bugle used it would more than adequately get the job done! Nice job on the calling!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Grousewit » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 7]

They all sounded like they would work. But if I had to pick one it would b #4.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby DBLGBL » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

#4 here

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

The best grunt tube is the one I made. But it isn't on the market.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 10]

It was extremely close, but I liked #3 the best. With all 6 of them being so close, at least in my mind, I wonder why we are seeing so many coming on the market.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkaholicid » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:It was extremely close, but I liked #3 the best. With all 6 of them being so close, at least in my mind, I wonder why we are seeing so many coming on the market.

They are really close with only subtle differences behind each of them. One thing I wanted to do with this video was to remove the popularity contest aspect of the hunting industry and get people to vote based on what their ears heard. The results are spread throughout all of the tubes with not one tube really standing out from the others. I think people are going to be surprised when I release the results tomorrow.

There are a ton of tubes on the market and this is only a small representation of what's out there. Each company continues to tweak and come out with new versions to keep things fresh and keep consumers purchasing new tubes. I'll admit that I'm a tube junky and always pick up new tubes to compare the sound against the tubes I already have.

Thanks everyone for casting votes.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Foe years I had a couple of lengths of vacuum cleaner hose 18" and 24". The 24" had a little more resonance. When my mother n law's vacuum broke down and she was getting rid of I salvaged the hose to make some grunt tubes. The new tubes on the market sound better. How much better is hard for me to quantify. They are deeper and have a greater resonance. Michael, I think I still have one or two of those old vacuum cleaner hose grunt tubes. If you will add that grunt tube to your group here as a basis for comparison, using the same diaphragm, etc., and demonstrate it here, I will mail you a tube.
The vacuum cleaner hose grunt tube is basically what hunters like Larry D Jones were using 30 years ago. I assume they came up with the vacuum cleaner hose idea after looking at an elk's esophagus.
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I noticed that Michael makes the exact same sound through his diaphragm every time. The only difference is the grunt tube. I have always had a problem being that consistent. Michael are you really that consistent or did you have to cut and splice the tape to make it sound that good? Maybe I should be practicing more. Ya think? :roll:
Swede

Postby elkaholicid » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Foe years I had a couple of lengths of vacuum cleaner hose 18" and 24". The 24" had a little more resonance. When my mother n law's vacuum broke down and she was getting rid of I salvaged the hose to make some grunt tubes. The new tubes on the market sound better. How much better is hard for me to quantify. They are deeper and have a greater resonance. Michael, I think I still have one or two of those old vacuum cleaner hose grunt tubes. If you will add that grunt tube to your group here as a basis for comparison, using the same diaphragm, etc., and demonstrate it here, I will mail you a tube.
The vacuum cleaner hose grunt tube is basically what hunters like Larry D Jones were using 30 years ago. I assume they came up with the vacuum cleaner hose idea after looking at an elk's esophagus.

Swede, I actually have one of the tubes from either Larry or Wayne Carlton you and talking about along with some 1-1/2" pool vacuum cleaner hose. The pool cleaner hose is a little thicker than a regular vacuum cleaner hose and I think they produce some really good back pressure to help control the reed.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby elkaholicid » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:I noticed that Michael makes the exact same sound through his diaphragm every time. The only difference is the grunt tube. I have always had a problem being that consistent. Michael are you really that consistent or did you have to cut and splice the tape to make it sound that good? Maybe I should be practicing more. Ya think? :roll:

Swede....all the bugles were done from one take. I got lucky and was having a good day controlling the reed. I wanted to keep the bugles the same so that the tubes would be the differing factor in how the sound changed.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor