Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2017 Grunt Tube Test Results

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby elkaholicid » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hey everyone,

Here are the results from our 2017 Grunt Tube Test. Thank you to everyone that commented and helped us by casting a vote.

elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Re: 2017 Grunt Tube Test Results

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Michael, thanks for doing this. I never did vote as its hard for me to pick a best sounding tube (or reed for that matter) when you're doing the calling (they all sound like money to me coming from you). Really enjoyed your efforts on this to produce and offer an unbiased opinion (letting the audience decide by their ears/votes) on the tubes that are out there. Heck, I remember making my first elk tubes out of PVC pipe (I remember camouflaging them with spray paint to really make em sound good, LOL). Again, thanks.. great stuff! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Another thanks for doing the comparison test. I voted for one, but can't say that I would expect to achieve better results with it.
Years ago I got one from Elknut. He convinced me I would be better off in my area, where there are no real monster bulls, to get the Lil Chuckler. I liked it better than the vacuum cleaner hose, Jones grunt tube, the Abe & Sons tube and others I had before. I don't know if the elk were more impressed. I have a couple of other larger grunt tubes now, and I still have no idea which the elk prefer.
It seems the larger belled tubes can reach out farther, but I don't know if that helps. I know the elk can hear a lot farther than I can, but I am not convinced the big bell is a real advantage.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

So, can you post the results ? For some reason, I could never open your post. I have no problem with other sites when it comes to opening things up. Maybe it has something to do with my computer. Just seems odd that WapitiTalk is the only one I have problems with.

Does anyone else have problems like this????????
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 5]

WW, I had no problem reviewing the results. The bottom line is, if you like your grunt tube it will be fine.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:So, can you post the results ? For some reason, I could never open your post. I have no problem with other sites when it comes to opening things up. Maybe it has something to do with my computer. Just seems odd that WapitiTalk is the only one I have problems with.

Does anyone else have problems like this????????

Bill, not sure why you can't open the embedded link. I emailed you the You Tube link. Let me know if you get it and can open it. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkaholicid » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. This project was a lot of fun and I have been getting several requests to keep it going. I will film another test this coming weekend but this time I'll be using external reed bugles for those that can't use a diaphragm. From there I am thinking about doing an open reed cow call, another grunt tube test with other tubes on the market and who knows what else.

The season is approaching fast and I wanted to take a moment to wish everyone the best of luck. May your adventures be filled with excitement and joy with a good amount of success.

Aim small, miss small!
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby Brendan » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I like both the Phelps and Elknut tubes... The Phelps is also big and heavy enough to club an Elk to death if you need it ;)

Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby elkaholicid » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Brendan wrote:I like both the Phelps and Elknut tubes... The Phelps is also big and heavy enough to club an Elk to death if you need it ;)

They are also excellent tools for self-defense if needed!
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Mike, thanks for the review! Very well done & explained! I look forward to more of your tests! In case some were wondering the Chuckler is 19" long & weighs 7 ounces!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul