Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Day Pack Snack Packs?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Day Pack Snack Packs?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

OK, what do you have lined up to put in your day pack for the day's snack pack? I like to pre-pack all my day/hunting chow in a quart zip locks, prior to season, and simply grab a bag and throw it in my pack the night before the next day's adventure (along with filling my water bladder). I'm still in the buying/packing phase for my early SEP departure to the elk woods but will ultimately end up with something like this for the 21? days of hunting.

Erin Baker Breakfast Cookies
MRE bread or 1/2 bagels w/Jiffy PB packets and jelly (the kind you get from restaurants) and/or Star-Kist Tuna packets.
Pepperoni and cheese sticks (Slim Jim brand) X1
Energy Bars (various brands) X1
Sweet and Salty Granola bars X1
Jerky bites (small Costco jerky packets)
Honey Stingers
Pack of dehydrated fruit
A few mini Snickers :)

Whaddya you cats pack for your day's snack packs?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Day Pack Snack Packs?

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Throw in a tube of peanuts, spicy, and we're set to go.
Elkhntr08

Postby chipick » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Usually I'll throw in 2 PBJ, homemade sweet n spicy jerky, and a few PB granola bars. Breakfast befor we leave consists of ether bacon or sausage, eggs, hash browns and gravy, and toast with jelly, and a pot of coffee. A good filling breakfast to keep us going and snacks to pickup the slack. We also put together some kill snacks in the truck for when we need a hi protein snack between packs.
chipick

Postby RAMMONT » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Cliff bars, maybe some jerky, and Nuun energy tablets. The tablets are added to water and they give you a boost of energy, they are an electrolyte and caffeine supplement. Sometimes, on cold days, I'll take some tea bags with me and make a hot drink while I'm sitting in a ground stand.
RAMMONT

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 5]

It depends on how long I plan to stay out. If I will be gone all day, then I have a lunch and some trail mix. I take some energy bar(s) and some good jerky if I can find it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I'll add that Costco carries two different trail mixes.One is the std munchies with M&M's etc. The other si berries and nuts.I buy both and then mix them. The also have dried fruit one,but it is too sweet for me.

Since I have little more weight carrying capacity. I also take a pudding cup and fruit cup along with my Pocket Rocket, coffee singles .In real cold weather, I take a Cup of Soup too. These things stay in my saddle bags. I usually go back to the mules for an extended , lunch( nap). I make my own summer sausage so I usually have some of that too.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby lamrith » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I run similar to RJ.

Last year I made homemade trailmix. Salted peanuts, yogurt pretzels, cherrios, m&m's, etc. Someone complained it was too noisey though, like chewing n rocks. He just did not realize that was the rocks in my head rattling as I ate...
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Mountain olives! You can pick them up along the trail in elk country. :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I don't like the dried tropical fruit they put in the fruit trail mix. Jerky from a plastic sack is ok in small doses, but I don't want much. My favorite is the nuts and granola and candy mix. What is your favorite?
Occasionally I will leave a few nuts near my tree stand for the squirrels to find. It is amazing how long it takes them to locate the nuts the first time.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Homemade trail mix... roasted sunflower seeds, nibs, jr mints, peanut m&ms, and whatever else I feel like when I'm buying it. Granola bars, jerky, Most of my hunts are afternoon and evening hunts because of work so sometimes home made cookies and whatever my wife has around
Elkhunttoo

Postby Ben Nicholson » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 11]

My typical snack is homemade trail mix (the contents vary , but peanut m&ms's are a requirement), and jerky.
Ben Nicholson

Postby stringunner » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Jerkey, power bar, pbnj, and peanuts. Along with a bladder of water. I don't eat breakfast but will drink a high protein energy drink while driving to the parking spot. I'm usually overly hungry by the time I get back to camp after dark.
stringunner