Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Poison oak or poison ivy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Poison oak or poison ivy

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Years back I spent a lot of time in poison oak patch waiting for the buck og my dreams to show. Of course he didn't show.
But I did get a terrible case of poison oak. So bad it grossed the doc out and she wouldn't touch me without double gloving.
We'll O picked a few blackberries yesterday in northern California. Sometime later I saw a warning sign regarding poison oak

I then realized the black berries had poison oak in them.
Anyone else have bad reactions and a horrible story.
My worst poison ivy story.
An emergency onto the woods run, TP left in the truck.
I made an initial wipe with these big leaves on a plant 4 foot tall.. I redid the cleanup back at the truck.
The doc gave me cordisone cream.
Another time a female friend were helping my dad at the lake. Evidently we were burning poison ivy. We both broke out. The worst part was the rumors her others started!

20170806_193654.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Poison pal or poison ivy

Postby wawhitey » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I have no idea what either looks like, or if it even exists here.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Poison oak or poison ivy

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I got it bad in the Klickitat just small
looking oak leaves. Some time like the vine in the pic
Lefty

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I got a Poison Oak rash one time as a kid living in southern Oregon. I still remember, it is nasty. Since that time I have lived and worked around the stuff, but never had any problem. When I work in Poison Oak I am careful to set my clothes aside so my wife does not come in contact with them. I remember Oly got a bad rash from it once. It was just as we set out on our elk hunt in Southern Oregon. He was gimp for a couple of days from it. I don't know if he still is allergic to it or not. He has plenty around where he lives.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have had plenty of run ins and reactions to poison ivy. Especially when I was younger. Between your fingers and toes is a real bad spot to get it. What I found is not wearing the same clothes after a hike through the nasty stuff. Use a cloth of some sort when washing down after going through it. I had some this spring and I think I got it after running the dog.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Lefty » 08 11, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I planted ginseng in the area I had a bad episode of poison oak over 20 years ago.I hiked in 100 degree temps.
I didn't find a single root
I did find trophy stands and examples of a climbing ivy, single shoot stands, a ground shrub poison oak

I stopped at the nearest market soaked my body down a series of times with a detergent
We'll see how I did shortly
Attachments
20170811_135843.jpg
20170811_140113.jpg
20170811_135947.jpg
Lefty

Postby Roosiebull » 08 12, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I had never really been around it much until about 10 years ago on the south coast (close to where swede mentioned)

we were working down there and had a day off, I went steelhead fishing...it was a rainy January day, I had waders and a rain coat on, and I didn't know I was bush whacking through poison oak, and it didn't have leaves at the time either.
a couple days later I started breaking out, and my buddy said it was poison oak, and there was a bunch of it where I was fishing.

I had to work another couple weeks straight, swimming around the bottom of the ocean in a wetsuit....it absolutely sucked! when I finally got home I went to the doctor and got some steroids, that finally cleared it up after another week.

I got it a couple more times, each time less severe....now I can charge through a clear cut full of poison oak and maybe get a couple itchy bumps on my hand or wrist, but I am pretty much immune now it seems.

if there is anything to take away from my experience, just know you can still get it even in the winter when it has no leaves, so be careful if you are allergic! now all I worry about while fishing and hunting down there are ticks....YUK!!!
Roosiebull