Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bow pound setting question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bow pound setting question

Postby Lonnie » 08 09, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So what do you guys think is a good pound setting on a bow. I set my bow at 65 pounds. Every year when I shoot a elk the arrow has always gone streigh threw. A friend of mine swears you have to have 70 pounds. So I wanted to get some feed back from you guys on what you set your bow on. Also give feed back on how the arrow played out.
Lonnie

Re: Bow pound setting question

Postby Swede » 08 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

No offence Lonnie, but you have not killed a lot of elk if all arrows get a complete pass through. If you limit your shot distance, the legal minimum draw weight is adequate for elk. In Oregon that minimum is 50#. A good sharp broadhead and an arrow with at least 400 grain total weight is adequate.
Keep hunting and shooting. You will get many arrows that will not pass through. They will contact a bone or go in at an angle that will not be perfect. Your 65# draw weight is more than adequate. If that is what you shoot comfortable and accurately, stick with it.

Best wishes on your hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby DBLGBL » 08 11, 2017 •  [Post 3]

IMHO it's the poundage you can draw easily in any awkward position or when you have been in a tree stand all day and temps have been in the 20's with out the wind chill. Too many people get jacked up on poundage when a well placed arrow with a sharp broad head is more important. I shoot a 60 lb bow and a 500 grain arrow/broad head combo.

My .02 cents
2Gbl
DBLGBL

Postby Roosiebull » 08 12, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I have shot about half of my elk with 60lb limbs maxed out at 61-63lbs, no problem at all. usually when I am shopping for bows, it seems all of the really good deals are on 60lb bows, so I would give up 10lbs of draw to save 200 bucks ;)

I likely won't go back as I keep bumping my arrow weight up, 73lbs pulls easy and I like the extra poundage for heavy arrows. if I was you, I wouldn't even consider your draw weight, it's completely adequate.
Roosiebull