Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

H.I.T.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

H.I.T.

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am finding that arrows with hidden inserts are more prone to splitting in front of the insert than the older style arrows. The older carbon arrows came with the front insert going out to the complete end of the arrow and they had a shoulder too. I theorize that the lack of a glued in insert out to the end of the arrow and no shoulder makes it weaker. Have any of you noticed this or am I the only one?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: H.I.T.

Postby Roosiebull » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I have noticed the same, I prefer the standard type inserts as well.

another problem I had was a person made me a dozen axis arrows with H.I.T's, and put too much glue in them, none of my BH's fit, and I thought it was the micro diameter shafts.

Mike from magnus asked me to send him a couple, as he thought his heads should fit in those arrows, he offered to send me some broadheads for my effort (another testimony to his awesome customer service) luckily, before making too much of an *** of myself, I decided to swab them all with acetone, and found glue was the issue, and i'm really glad I didn't have to send a couple arrows to magnus to find out I was dumb (found out by myself :D )

the H.I.T system has kept me shooting gold tips, that have standard inserts, which is far from a problem, I love gold tips.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I did not know Gold Tips had the standard inserts, but will switch back as soon as I need new shafts.
Swede

Postby Brendan » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 4]

HIT Inserts are options for small and micro diameter arrows, and normally only Easton as they own the patent (although they will fit certain other manufacturer's arrows if you want to build or have them built that way). Even on those small / micro arrows you could use an outsert instead of the HIT. All "standard" diameter arrows use a normal insert to my knowledge.

I am running Deep Six HIT inserts in some Gold Tip Pierce Platinum arrows this season and prefer them to the Gold Tip Outsert system, but have broken / mushroomed one shaft when I put the arrow into a 2x4 at long range...

My "Tried and True" setup is the Gold Tip Pro Hunter with standard inserts.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Roosiebull » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:I did not know Gold Tips had the standard inserts, but will switch back as soon as I need new shafts.

I think Brendan is correct in his evaluation. I don't keep up on stuff much. all I know is pro hunters, kaos, and primos/nugent arrows have standard outserts. I am shooting the primos arrows this year (priced well and heavy) and ran out of time to have other arrows built.

next year I am going with carbon express pile drivers, who also use outserts. I planned on making some logs this year, but having to go to the valley to have arrows built, time just seemed to run out.

I think the H.I.T's are probably a pretty good setup, but the 3 arrows I have owned with them I didn't care for for one reason or another. I think I just don't like change :?
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I am going to check and see if I can get some inserts that have a shoulder. That is a front 1/4 for you Roosie. :D Anyway thanks guys.
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Brendan wrote:HIT Inserts are options for small and micro diameter arrows, and normally only Easton as they own the patent (although they will fit certain other manufacturer's arrows if you want to build or have them built that way). Even on those small / micro arrows you could use an outsert instead of the HIT. All "standard" diameter arrows use a normal insert to my knowledge

You cannot use an insert with a shoulder on the small diameter arrow. I just checked and the shoulder on a broadhead or field point is very near the same size as the inside diameter of the arrow shaft. Maybe the old outserts of 20 years ago that went completely on the outside of an arrow shaft would work, but you can't put an insert with a shoulder in and make it work. Can we get the old outserts still for micro diameter arrows?
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I was looking online and I see sleeves that can be used to strengthen an arrow tip. I think I will look into that. The glue on sleeves will also increase FOC and total weight of my arrows.
Swede

Postby Brendan » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 9]

There are new outsert options - you just need the right diameter. Firenock and Black Eagle make some.

What specific arrow make/model/spine are you using?
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby jmez » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Just use the BAR rings with the HITS. It is a small collar that fits over the end of the shaft.

Anyone using outserts better spin arrows a lot. They bend easily.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Using the H.I.T in the 5mm FMJ arrows. I did buy the BAR and use them. Add a little weight but it helps the FOC. No issues with the setup. Installed properly I've never had a problem with the inserts.
Elkhntr08