Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery Hunters, RU Ready?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Stick and string elk hunters..... how are you shooting? Are you shooting as many or more broadheads than field points at this point in time soooo close to season? Are you tuned in and ripping your Magnus, Wasp, Muzzy, Shuttles, Toxic, G5, whichever is your BH of choice this year, into a heart sized point of impact out to XX yards?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Archery Hunters, RU Ready?

Postby Swede » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I am as ready as I have ever been. My shooting is about as good as it was 10 years ago. It took me longer this year than it did years ago, but I am feeling good about it now. I am glad I started in April with my practice. Now the bow draws easy and I am more steady than I was even a month ago.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

shooting good as ever, the past couple months I have had 2 field points and one broadhead for practice, I don't like shooting all broadheads, it's hard on targets and I like to constantly see my broadheads shooting just like field points (just the way I like to do it)

shooting about a dozen arrows a day, I always ease up on shooting lots of arrows this time of year, again, just how I like to do it.

i'm beyond ready, less than a week, and i'm excited!
Roosiebull

Postby wawhitey » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Shooting at 20 yards, perfect bullseye every time. 30 yards, shots significantly high and left every time, 40 yards, shots higher and lefter every time. With field points and broadheads. Somethings screwy. Going to my dads place to shoot tomorrow, and get his help. Good thing the old man knows what hes doing, cause i sure dont!
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby jmez » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

If the FP's and BH's are grouping together, just not where you are aiming, the first thing I would try would be to sight the bow in at 40 yards. I'd do that before I changed anything else.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby N2mywake » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I had been shooting great all year, shot a 3d shoot 2 weeks ago and smoke it. After that the wheels began to fall off. It was all random and increasingly worse. Finally figured out a week ago my drop away rest was failing. Replaced it this week and worked on getting dialed back in.
This is my 5 shot group tonight at 60. A few more days and back to broadheads tuning.

8f6eafc1dbfc753f7af9f6f4efb650a4.jpg
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Looking REALLY good N2. What rest was failing you?
WapitiTalk1

Postby N2mywake » 08 20, 2017 •  [Post 8]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Looking REALLY good N2. What rest was failing you?
Mathews branded QAD. In all fairness I've shot several thousand arrows through it. I noticed the set trigger feeling strange a month or so ago. I like the rest so much I bought another one (the hdx version).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby jmez » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I'm ready, again. About a month ago I decided to switch releases. I've shot a hinge and thumb release in the off season for the last couple of years. No question I'm more consistent with both of them than an index finger release. The bad shots with the handheld release aren't near as bad as with the index either. Bought a Stan Perfex and put the index away for good.

Had to move my peep, retune etc and get used to the new release.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Put on the solid 125s saturday and shot out to 60, deer vitals on a block target. 5 out of 5 and the broad heads are getting sharpened. Thats the range im comfortable taking shots with and all the arrows are flying like I want them to. I usually set the bar at the point if I cant hit the vitals on a cold shot, its a distant I cant hunt at. Every shot needs to connect for me.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Brendan » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I've never shot better. I am concentrating on shooting the 3D course to simulate hunting shots, gapping shots between pins, and alternating with longer range broadhead shots to make sure they're still dead on with field points (they are...)

But, I always start every trip to the range the same way. Cold, no warmup, long range at the Elk target. Today's first shot of the day, 81 yards, Just at the edge of the 10 ring with my Prime...

The bow:

I'll be in the field in Western Montana in less than 3 weeks!
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Ya, I'd say you're dialed in Brendan ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Brendan » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 13]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Ya, I'd say you're dialed in Brendan ;).

If only it was that easy... if someone could arrange for a nice 6-pt bull to walk broadside in front of me sometime between 9/11 and 9/21 - I'd appreciate it!
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Roosiebull » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Some fine shooting men!!!
Roosiebull