Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Reeds

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Reeds

Postby MidMoElkNut » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys I have a question about different reeds.

I've tried several and my problem is the ones I have found will not fit in the top of my mouth like they should so I'm unable to use them properly.
The reason why is my jaw is curved in on the upper right side so the metal support on the reed is to wide for the roof of my mouth.
Is there any reeds out there that are narrower than the normal reeds or possibly any youth reeds that may work?

Thanks Dave
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Re: Reeds

Postby Rangerz » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Primos makes some small reeds. I think it is called the mini sconic dome. The little white one sounds pretty good.

Rocky mountain has a TST series that is smaller. The black one and pink one are my 2 favorites.

My buddy has the same issue and uses the above reeds all the time.

Good Luck!
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby MidMoElkNut » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Rangerz

Thanks I will check them all ou!

Do you like the primos or the Rocky Mountain reeds better?

I appreciate all the info!
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Postby Wapiti » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Hi Dave,

We also make a junior Reed line up through Wapiti River Outdoors. Built for guys with narrow pallets. These are for men and women along with kids as they grow. We have 4 in our line up:

Pink Lady
Ridge Runner
Bull Buster
Phantom

Pink Lady and Ridge Runner are easy reeds to start with making cow/calf sounds. The Bull Buster and Phantom are thicker latex for getting your bugles going.

We can dome them all if you prefer as well. I would try the flat style as well as domed ones. Then use the ones that feel the best.

Give me a call and I can help you out.
780-876-6170
Travis O'Shea
Wapiti River Outdoors
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby elkaholicid » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Sounds like you need a narrow frame on the reed. There are a few companies out there that offer narrow frames on their reeds with Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls, Primos and Phelps Game Calls, and Wapiti River being the top 4. I would recommend that you take a look at either the Wapiti River or the Phelps as their reeds seem to be a little more user-friendly for beginners.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor